2011: 1 to 120

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2011: 91-100
The purpose of doing this post is to show a little love for those players taken in the latter rounds as they do not get the exposure or the interest of the 1st rounders. So what follows is a short description, just enough to pique your interest, of the players likely to be taken in the first 4 rounds (91-100 in this post) of the 2011 NHL entry draft. Remember this is just another fan’s list so I wouldn’t get too excited if your favorite is not as high as you would like. I will post the remaining players in rounds 1 to 4 over the next few weeks.

In looking back at the 2003 to 2005 entry drafts, it is interesting to note the success rate for each of the rounds. By my calculations (players that are NHL regulars for the most part-your list could be slightly different), here are the figures:
01-15 – 82% (03-93%; 04-73%; 05-80%)
16-30 – 76% (03-93%; 04-67%; 05-67%)
31-45 – 33% (03-33%; 04- 7%; 05-60%)
46-60 – 24% (03-33%; 04-33%; 05- 7%)
61-90 - 24% (03-33%; 04-20%; 05-20%)
91-120 - 19% (03-10%; 04-30%; 05-17%)
120-150 - 11% (03-10%; 04-13%; 05-10%)
151-180 - 9% (03-13%; 04-13%; 05- 0%)
181-210 - 10% (03-17%; 04- 3%; 05-10%)
Over 210 - 12% (03-13%; 04-10%; 05-15%)
Overall - 23% (03-25%; 04-20%; 05-23%)

91. Thomas, Justin - “Mr. McNasty” - LW - Canada
6’2”, 207 lb., L, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL, 25-Jan-93 Stats: 11-4-3-7-21-(+0) - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting (CS)
OK, so you traded your 1st round pick for Phil Fizzle and you forfeited your second round pick for overpaying Igor Garbagetruck and you lost your 3rd round pick in the washer along with your best pair of black socks and your owner tells you that the team needs you to draft a big nasty, power forward that likes to fight and has soft hands and a shot from a cannon - what do you do since you only have a 4th rounder at best? Ok, but keep this very, very quiet, you draft Mr. McNasty, Justin Thomas, a Soo Greyhounds power forward who lost his power early in the season due to a shoulder injury. And no, I haven’t seen him, and no, Central Scouting hasn’t seen him and no your team’s OHL scout likely hasn’t seen him either. So, while this may all seem like smoke - where there is smoke there is likely to be a fire - how big is the only question. Justin still has to work on his consistency but when he is on he is especially good at battling down low and along the boards and is good with the puck around the crease. Since 4th round draft choices only have a 19% chance of success anyways, why not go for the home run???

92. Marchenko, Alexei - “Mr. Desirable” - D - Russia
6’2”, 183 lb., R, CSKA Moscow, MHL, 2-Jan-92, Stats: 36-5-33-38-28(+33) - Rated 25th European Skater by CS which equates to about 153rd overall
OK, it’s 4th round and you need a power play set-up man with top notch defensive and puck moving abilities and you want a reasonable sized frame, 6’2 or up, and someone who speaks good English - in short you want a late 1st rounder or an early 2nd rounder that you can draft in the 4th round. Luckily for you, Alexei Marchenko may be available to you because he is:
1. Russian
2. Has had very little international exposure (although he was a top player at both the Ivan Hlinka tournament and in the World Junior Hockey Challenge in Canada at various times)
3. Is an overager because of health problems (had his spleen removed) which now appear to be over.
This year he averaged over a point per game in the MHL and had a very nice plus-minus at +33.
1st the good news: excellent vision, great skater and passer, effective puck handler, very coachable, very disciplined, solid positioning, excellent penalty killer, effective one on one, can be physical too.
Now, the need to be improved - his shot is not yet NHL caliber, hence, he is likely to be more effective as a PP set-up man a la Andrei Markov and he needs to add weight and strength to be effective on the smaller ice surfaces.
So, when it comes right down to it, the only real thing that may you hold you back is deciding on whether he is likely to come over to this side of the pond but that is why you have scouts in the 1st place and yes he does speak good English. When asked about coming over, this is what he had to say @ http://russianjuniorleague.blogspot.com/2009/09/mhl-stars-alexei-marchenko.html “I’m still under contract with CSKA and I see my future only with this team. I still have a lot to work and to play to grow to a higher level. I’ll think about that only if I’ll reach that level. In the meantime I want to play for CSKA, I’ll try hard to get to the first team. But of course thinking about the NHL doesn’t hurt. (smiles)”.

93. Dahlbeck, Klas - “Mr. Anonymous” - D - Sweden
6’2”, 190 lb., L, Linköping, Swe - E, 6-Jul-91, Stats: 47-08-8-12 - Rated 23rd European Skater by CS about 141st overall
A guy who 1st came to most people’s attention at the U20 was Klas Dahlbeck. Niclas Hävelid, a 9-year NHL veteran, said it best, “Klas strength is that he plays to his strengths. He has good size, skating and a first pass. But above all, he's a smart hockey player. He’s that kind of player they want in the NHL and I am sure that he will get there pretty soon”. The original quote can be found at @ http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/elitserien/linkoping/article8476693.ab
So, there you have it - late blooming, decent-sized, smooth skating Swede, close to being ready for the NHL - not a top pairing guy more likely a bottom pairing or part of a shutdown tandem. So if a Carl Gunnarsson type is to your liking, you may want to consider Klas Dahlbeck.

94. Machovsky, Matej - “Mr. Skype” - G – Czech Republic
6’2”, 187 lb., L, Brampton, OHL, 29-Jul-93, Stats: 23-1-2.90-.904 - Rated 11th North American Goalie by CS, about 181st overall
This is a tough, tough year to rate goalies and all years are tough when it comes to rating goalies. The reason this is year so much tougher is two-fold:
1. After the top 4 rated goalies (the two Gibson’s, Hellberg and Perhonen), many of the better prospects are back-ups who didn’t get that much playing time
2. This has not been a good year for CHL goalies particularly Canadian born ones so you are just as likely to find a decent prospect off the beaten track - Jr. A, US Jr. Leagues, US high school etc. where it can be more difficult to evaluate
NHL CS goalie scout, Al Jensen had this to say about Matej Machovsky at http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=548955 "He has an excellent butterfly style and is tough to beat down low. He presents excellent lateral ability, plays big in his net even in butterfly, and is very controlled in his movements." Machovsky only played just over 20 games but seemed to pick it up when he was traded from Guelph to Brampton and ended up winning the F.W. “Dinty” Moore Trophy for best GAA for an OHL rookie @ 2.90 and he was rated 5th best draft prospect by the goalie guru, Jerry Shields @ http://www.goalierankings.com/. He was also the main goalie for the Czech Republic at the U18’s but was inconsistent. Bottom line, Machovsky is a good prospect but with so relatively little work to go on he is still a high risk pick and therefore could go much later.

95. Kessy, Kale - “Mr. Kessy” - LW - Canada
6’3”, 185 lb., L, Medicine Hat, WHL, 4-Dec-92, Stats: 65-14-10-24-129-(+5) - Rated 101st American Skater by CS, about 132nd overall
Let’s cut to the chase - if teams are interested in this guy, it is because they believe he will develop into a poor man’s Milan Lucic - a tough guy who is a difference maker because he has the ability to change the complexion of a game with a fight, a big hit, a hard forecheck or even a goal on occasion. So how does Kessy stack up in the Lucic clone department??? On the plus side, he has the 6’3 frame, he’s a big hitter who finishes his checks, he’s already a feared-fighter, he can bring high energy to the game and wear down the opposition and he can be very assertive on the forecheck. On the just OK side is his puckhandling and shooting abilities. On the “needs to pick it up” side are his skating agility, his hockey sense (as he seems to struggle from time to time) and strength (he needs to fill out his frame to be closer to Lucic like). In summary, a likely 4th liner who will be taken relatively early (3rd-5th) by a team because they like that Lucic-like potential. If you think you are man enough for your First Kess, try this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwmrtjjGU1E&feature=player_embedded

96. Galansky, Tadeas - “Mr. Goalie” - G – Czech Republic
6’3”, 189 lb., R, Saginaw, OHL, 29-Dec-92, Stats: 17-1-2.89-.910 - Rated 15th North American Goalie by CS, about 241st overall which equates to undrafted
And if you thought that you hadn’t seen enough of Matej Machovsky to spend a draft choice on him, it gets even worse with Tadeas Galansky. Not only was he a back-up but he missed most of the first half of the season due an off-ice, pre-season training injury. However, when he played he was one of the better draft eligible goalies this year sporting a .910 save percentage. What scouts really like about him are his size, his overall agility, his coachability, his aggressiveness and the fact that he is really good “down low”. It is surprising how many people are really high on this guy even though he barely played. The goalie guru, Jerry Shields, has him as the 4th best overall goalie prospect in this draft (even ahead of John Gibson) at his blog spot http://www.goalierankings.com/ - high praise indeed.

97. Pedan, Andrei - “Andrei the Ogre” - D - Russia
6’4”, 196 lb., L, Guelph, OHL, 3-Jul-93, Stats: 51-2-10-12-89-(-11) - Rated 85th North American Skater by CS, about 111th overall
It wasn’t supposed to be this way. Guelph Storm thought they were getting Andrei the superstar in addition to Andrei the Giant, especially after his outstanding play in the Ivan Hlinka tournament. However, during the regular season, there was almost none of that “big shot”, the passing was tentative and he showed almost a total lack of offense. So, his stock dropped like a barometer during a hurricane.
However, what the Guelph Storm did get was not your father’s Russian - Andrei the Giant was really Andrei the Ogre and he played with more than a touch of nastiness, physicality and fighting prowess. Luckily for the Storm by the time the playoffs rolled around the hurricane had passed and the barometer bounced back up along with Andrei's confidence and you started to see a touch of offense along with that mean, nasty ogre of a shutdown D-man.
And then, he played in the U-18 for Team Russia where he looked pretty good putting his skating, size and athletism on display along with picking up a bronze medal against Team Canada.
So in summary, you are pretty confident that Andrei’s size, skating, athletism and nastiness will make him an effective shutdown guy and there is enough of a glimmer in his offense that you believe he could be a contributor there as well so you maybe prepared to go as early as the late 3rd or early 4th for this guy.

98. Grenier, Alexandre - “Alexandre le géant” - Canada
6’5”, 200 lb., R, Quebec, QMJHL, 27-Dec-90, Stats: 31-9-15-24-6-(-1) - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting
Alexandre le géant, almost passed by because of a car crash and playing at lower levels, this monster (went undrafted twice) is starting to show what he can do. And yes, he has soft hands and score with the best of them, check for his goals in the highlight section. Some say his skating is an issue but I say it is plenty good for a 6’5’’ guy - check him out yourself and find out what “Quel feint” really means (#5 in white at about 1:50 and 2.59) @ http://theqall-access.blogspot.com/2011/04/video-shawinigan-vs-quebec-game-1.html. You will want this guy for your team.

99. Vance, Troy - “Mr. Monster Mash” - D - USA
6’5”, 203 lb., R, Victoriaville, QMJHL, 2-Aug-93, Stats: 23-1-3-4-21-(+8) - Rated 149th North American Skater by CS, about 198th overall
He did the mash, he did the monster mash.
It was a graveyard smash.
He did the mash, it caught on in a flash.
He did the mash, he did the monster mash.
And if you want to see a real live monster mash, go to this YouTube video as put up by NHLDraftVideo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcweyBqjWKo
The 6’5 monster masher otherwise known as Troy Vance almost escaped the NHL draft this year playing in the EJHL but Alex LePore, a scout for the Dallas Stars, recommended the Pennsylvanian to the Victoriaville Tigres halfway through the year and the other NHL scouts are glad he did.
While Troy thinks of himself as an offensive defenseman, it is his defense that really paid dividends for Les Tigres as they made it to the 2nd round of the QMJHL playoffs after some serious struggles on the blueline earlier in the year. In addition to his monster mash and his defense, Troy has a nice shot, is a good skater and has good hockey sense. I have him as a 4th rounder but I think if NHL scouts take one look at that “monster mash” he could easily be a 3rd.

100. Serville, Brennan - “Mr. Meat and Potatoes” - D - Canada
6’3”, 184 lb., R, Stouffville, OJHL, 2-Jun-93, Stats: 36-3-27-30-29 - Ranked 104th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 136th overall
Brennan Serville is your meat and potatoes type of defensive defenseman - Big, rangy, rugged, doesn’t crumble under pressure, good vision, always looking to get that available 1st pass, good positionally - does the right things a defensive defenseman is expected to do and keeps it simple. Yes, he is a decent skater and has a hard slap shot along with nice hands but you will be drafting him for his defense. Next year, you can see him at the University of Michigan. Not a high-end guy but his calmness under pressure along with his size will likely see him taken higher than expected starting in the late 3rd or 4th round.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Very nicely done, looking forward to the other bios. Always good to read about the lesser known prospects that no one ever seems to talk about.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
nice job, really interesting read.

I personally think that 31-45 range is starting to turn into a very sexy option for GM's. Lots of talented players are being had their now, and those kids seem to develope just fine without the pressure of a first round tag.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems that second round picks are become the hot trend in trades and rumors now,,,

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Maybe it is just me, but it seems that second round picks are become the hot trend in trades and rumors now,,,

There's actually a small article in the THN Draft Preview about a second round pick being the "in" currency for GMs these days...probably even moreso in a draft with as much first round uncertainty as this one.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2011:101-110
As I said in the previous post, the purpose of this thread is to show a little love for those players taken in the latter rounds as they do not get the exposure or the interest of the first rounders. So what follows is a short description, just enough to pique your interest, of the players likely to be taken in the first 4 rounds (101-110 in this post) of the 2011 NHL entry draft. Remember that the NHL success rate for fourth rounders is about 1 in 5 (19% by my calculations based on years 2003 to 2005).

101. Coleman, Blake - “Grandma’s Man†- C – USA
5’10â€, 198 lb., L, Indiana, USHL, 28-Nov-91, Stats: 59-34-58-92-72-(+52) - ranked 198th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 264th overall
Thanks Grandma is all I can say!!! How does a kid from Plano, Texas just outside of Dallas become the USHL scoring champion and winner of both the 2010-11 USHL Player of the Year and the 2010-11 USHL Forward of the Year as determined by a vote of League coaches and general managers. Yes, it was Grandma who started taking little Blakey to Dallas Stars games - then he tried a little roller blading and finally real skates and the rest is history including:
1. 2004 3rd place at Tier II National with Alliance PeeWee AA
2. 2005 7th place at Tier I Nationals with Alliance Bantam AAA
3. 2007 Michigan State Champions with Belle Tire Midget Major AAA
4. 2008 5th Place at Tier 1 Nationals with Dallas Stars Midget Major AAA
5. 2009-10 USHL - Tri-City/Indiana - 56-10-18-28-56-(-10)
6. 2010-11 USHL - Indiana - 59-34-58-92-72-(+52) - the only player in the USHL to exceed 90 points since Thomas Vanek (46g, 45a) in 2001-02 for the Sioux Falls Stampede and Tomas Vanek seems to have turned out OK.
7. 2011-12 CCHA - University of Miami (Ohio) commit
So what type of player is he, I think his coach, Charlie Skjodt, is the best qualified to answer that. This is what he had to say @ http://www.ushl.com/news/story.cfm?id=3869 “He reminds me a little of Bobby Clarke because he is a strong two-way player – he can score, is solid in the defensive zone, kills penalties, and plays in the final minutes of the game. He is the hardest working kid in the League in my opinion."
In summary, Blake is a draft eligible this year as an overager because he played more a defensive role last year and didn’t have the same opportunities that he had this year. However, he made use of the extra year by working hard to make his body more muscular so that he could not only compete better but win his competitions. As for skills, he has the shot, he has the wheels, he has the hockey sense to add to his high determination and compete levels in the trenches or open ice and has been known to drop “em†a few times as well. Thanks again, Grandma!!!

102. Karlsson, William - “Mr. Believable†- C - Sweden
6’0â€, 163 lb., L, VästerÃ¥s U20, SWE-U20, 8-Jan-93, Stats: 38-20-3-54-45 - Rated 21st European Skater by CS, about 129th overall
William Karlsson is a really, really good all-round center that can do most things really well. After watching him at the U18, I had four thoughts:
1. There may be much more to come from this physically under developed guy (6’0 165 lb.) who doesn’t wow you at first glance but starts to grow on you as you see him do all the little things right.
2. It is difficult to assess at this point what his role will be on this side at this point. He has good but not elite offense and he has good overall skills and does not mind the in your face stuff. So is he a 2nd line center with good defense or a 3rd line center with good offense?
3. He is a little bit like a Calle Jarnkrok 2.0 with not as much upside and a little less skills.
4. When all the big name forwards on the Swedish U18 team went south after the Norway game including Zibanejad, Rask, Nermark, Boyce-Rotevall, William Karlsson (4 points) and his home club linemate Gustav Bjorkland (7 points) and the 2012 Filip Forsberg (4 points) were the only Swedish players with more than 2 points in the other 5 games.
So, there you have it - under developed all-round center with high energy who does the little things right and doesn’t quit on you when the going gets tough. There is a place for William Karlsson on my team and there should be on yours too and I could see him going as high as the third round although the fourth is more likely.

103. Leivo, Joshua - “Mr. Hound Dog†- RW - Canada
6’2â€, 180 lb., R, Sudbury, OHL, 26-May-93, Stats: 63-13-17-30-37-(-10) - Unrated North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting
Joshua Who, you say??? If you haven’t heard of him or you are a late convert, don’t feel bad, let’s face it, his regular season wasn’t good enough to get him ranked by Central Scouting let alone drafted. His game didn’t take off until very late in the season when he was put on a line with Andrey Kuchin and San Jose Sharks prospect Michael Sgarbossa. And then when the playoffs came, his game exploded with 13 points and a +6 in 9 games blowing away higher ranked Ottawa in the process. Here is what head coach Trent Coll had to say about him @ http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3071619
“He's a kid who plays hard, he's got skill. He's got good feet, he can skate. He's a kid who, when called upon, will physically challenge somebody else. He finishes his checks, works hard defensively and he's got that offensive flair. He's one of those kids I can't say enough about, because I do like what we have in him and I really do like what he provides for our team. He hounds pucks. He's a dog on the puck. What I mean is he's like a dog on a bone. He hounds the puck and when he wants to get the puck, he's going to get the puck and when he gets it, he's tough to get it off’.’’
It took me a little while to digest on whether Mr. Hound Dog was the real thing or just a playoff flash in the pan because you can get easily carried away with the emotion of the moment. But Mr. Hound Dog is the real thing, In fact his forecheck was so devasting, particularly against Ottawa, that it was close to being classified a “War Crimeâ€.
So if you want a big hound dog who can also score, Joshua Leivo is the real thing not just a playoff flash - too big and too skilled not to go at least by the end of the fourth.

104. Gernat, Martin - “The Friendly Giant†- D – Slovakia
6’5â€, 187 lb., L, HC Kosice, Svk U20, 11-Apr-93, Stats: 25-3-12-15-18 - Rated 106th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting which equates to undrafted on a combined basis
Beat him now while you can because this scrawny 6’5 187 lb. weakling is going to be a man someday. He kind of reminds me of going to see 6’7 Brett Ponich in his first (or close to first) Dub game, it was like going to the zoo just after a baby giraffe was born - tall, gangly and a little awkward but you knew he would find his way in a couple of months. Well, Gernat is more like a couple of months than a newborn but he still has that gangly look to him. Gernat’s way to this side of the Atlantic was paved by the success of last year’s 6’5 Slovak, Edmonton Oiler prospect Martin Marincin. Gernat is no where near as developed as Marincin was last year but he has shown enough size, mobility, hands, vision and skating to make him a possibility in the 3rd or a probability in the 4th. There is enough of a strong base of size and skills that the strength and defense can come later.

105. Cramarossa, Joseph - “St. Joseph†- C - Canada6’1â€, 186 lb., L, Mississauga, OHL, 26-Oct-92, Stats: 59-12-20-32-101+(+22) - Rated 63rd North American Skater by CS, about 80th overall
I don’t know why but when ever I watch Joseph Camarossa skate I want to shout out, “Hallelujah†- maybe it is the fact he stands so erect that I think he is belting it out from the choir. However St. Joseph ain’t no choirboy as his 101 minutes in penalties and a number of fighting opponents can attest to. What St. Joseph does is bring some defense, grit, irritation, speed, doggedness and lots of consistency to the 3rd or 4th lines of the Memorial Cup Bound St. Michael’s Majors. At this stage we don’t know how good St. Joesph is offensively because he has not been asked to play that role. However, many feel that he has enough skills to really take off offensively when he is given that role - sort of like the difference between the Blake Coleman of last year and the Blake Coleman of this year. CS has him 3rd round and he may well go that high even though he hasn’t broken out in the scoring department to date.

106. Forsberg, Jesse - “Mr. McSurly†- D - Canada
6’1â€, 195 lb., L, Prince George, WHL, 13-Aug-93, Stats: 57-2-14-16-144-(+4) - Rated 166th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 221st overall
What can I say, big things were expected of this guy maybe even first round, just didn’t happen - hence, his 221st overall or undrafted rating from Central Scouting.
What was missing? Offense for one, there was none. Skating for two, his skating style was a real turn-off for many scouts. Size for three, while he certainly isn’t small at 6’1, it is not ideal for the physical type of game he plays. Bottom line, he didn’t come close to expectations. Now that we have thrown him under the bus, maybe we can resurrect him for what he is - a smallish policeman who plays with drive and physicality, relishes the big hits, relishes the scrums, relishes the pressure situations, relishes playing on the edge. He was the drive and determination to succeed that coaches and scouts love. While he may down for the count, he is not someone you would count out just yet. I suspect at least one team will see enough in him to take him 4th-5th round.

107. Pribyl, Daniel - “Danny Boy†- F – Czech Republic
6’3â€, 190 lb., R, HC Sparta Praha U20, CZE Jr. 18-Dec-92, Stats: 39-29-29-54-20 - Rated 46th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting which equates to about 280th overall or undrafted
Oh Danny Boy, the coaches, the coaches are calling
From end to end, and all around the sides
The summer's gone, and now there’s no stalling
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and we must stand with pride!!!
Danny boy is a player with high-end offensive potential as evidenced by his over a point per game results in the Czech U20 juniors. He has the size, the hands, the vision, the stickhandling, the shot, the dekes to be something special offensively. In addition, his skating is well within the acceptable range. However, when it comes to things physical and things defense, Oh Danny Boy is lacking. So Danny Boy is a high risk, high reward type of pick. For me, the potential reward is too big not to take the risk by at least the 4th round.

108. Wotherspoon, Tyler - “Mr. Stay-at-home†- D - Canada
6’2â€, 203 lb., L, Portland, WHL, 12-Mar-93, Stats: 62-2-10-12-73-(+0) - Rated 40th North American Skater by CS, about 50th overall
While Central Scouting has him 2nd round, my view of Tyler Wotherspoon is much closer to the snippet Redline put out on his Top Prospects Game performance @ http://www.redlinereport.com/ “Poor foot speed and does not move well laterally or make quick stop/starts. Not good in battles at close quarters due to his lack of agility – has a tough time sticking with his man in coverage.†While the Redline report is only of one game and therefore may be a little harsh when it comes to evaluating his overall performance, his agility, his puck handling and his offense are far from NHL requirements. However, he has enough of a physical game that he may be good enough to make it as a bottom pairing-stay at home-penalty killing d-man.

109. Reid, Adam - “McDude†- LW - USA
6’4â€, 205 lb., L, USA U18, USHL, 29-Jan-93, Stats: 44-9-6-15-33 - Rated 80th North American Skater by CS, about 105th overall
Adam Reid is a guy who really hasn’t done it yet but he brings enough size (6’4), skating, hands, compete, physicality and hockey ability that many believe we have not seen near what he is capable of. Here is what his coach in the US NTProgram, Ron Rolston, had to say about him at http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=541129 “Adam is a big, strong power forward. He skates really well and seems to get better every time he gets on the ice. One of his talents is he knows his strengths and plays to those strengths. He gets to the net well and his ability to drive the net without the puck is excellent. He's a competitor."
However, this California dude is going to have to get a whole stronger to bring out that inner power forward in the future when he goes to Northeastern. Definitely a project pick but the line of believers starts on the right.

110. Pageau, Jean-Gabriel - “M. Dragon Slayer†- C/RW - Canada
5’9â€, 164 lb., R, Gatineau, QMJHL, 11-Nov-92, Stats: 67-32-47-79-22-(+23) - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting
Please forgive me but I have been recalcitrant in becoming a Jean-Gabriel Pageau admirer. After all Jean Gabriel is only 5’9’’, 164 lb. and the QMJHL has too many sad stories of little guys who did well in the Q only to stumble when it came to the man’s world of professional hockey. However, maybe I can be forgiven a little because, after all, NHL Central Scouting did not even feel Jean-Gabriel was worth evaluating and even his own team took 6 teammates ahead of him in the Q draft. However, Jean-Gabriel beat the odds and started silencing the critics by not only making his hometown team but then moving up to 1st line center in 3 months. So Jean-Gabriel then had a good but not wow draft year at 79 points. Then came the playoffs and a small, fast and furious like dragon slayer named Jean-Gabriel Pageau was one of the prime stars in saying good-bye to Rimouski, good-bye to higher-ranked Drummondville and 6’4 Sean Couturier, good-bye to higher-ranked Quebec and 6’4 Joël Champagne and hello No 1 ranked Saint John Sea Dogs (or Sea Wolves if you are Craig Button). As of today, Jean-Gabriel has 26 points in 21 playoff games and a +10 when going against the league’s best so maybe now you can start to see why even the recalcitrant are coming around. So, if you are looking for a Claude Giroux like guy who can play center or right wing and you want someone who always comes up big in critical situations you might give a thought to the dragon slayer, Jean-Gabriel Pageau.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay, I read....just your first two player breakdowns....and I needed to write this before I read the rest of your post.

Wow.

You put a lot of work into this. I've been apart of HFboards for close to 9 years and this is one of the more impressive posts I have seen.

Even if you are dead wrong about every word written.....this looks like it took an incredible amount of work.

Do you not have a job or something that you need to be doing?

Anyway, great job....can't say that enough.

Now let me go read the rest of the post/thread

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Okay, I read....just your first two player breakdowns....and I needed to write this before I read the rest of your post.

Wow.

You put a lot of work into this. I've been apart of HFboards for close to 9 years and this is one of the more impressive posts I have seen.

Even if you are dead wrong about every word written.....this looks like it took an incredible amount of work.

Do you not have a job or something that you need to be doing?

Anyway, great job....can't say that enough.

Now let me go read the rest of the post/thread

Sssh, you may have me believing you. But you are right about two things:
1. It was an incredible amount of work - luckily, I had a 2 hour drive to Halifax yesterday followed by a 4 hour drive home (major accident near the airport) so I had the opportunity to think through all the write-ups, re-organize and add the final touches that you often miss when you are pressed for time.
2. And yes, I should be doing something else - however, it was cold and wet here all week so I devoted more time to this thread than I otherwise would.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2011: 81-90
As I said in the previous posts, the purpose of this thread is to show a little love for those players taken in the latter rounds as they do not get the exposure or the interest of the first rounders. Remember that the NHL success rate for third rounders is about 1 in 4 (24% by my calculations based on years 2003 to 2005).

81. McKee, Mike - “Man-child” - D - Canada
6’5”, 235 lb., L, Exeter High School, HS CT, 17-Aug-93, Stats: - Rated 144th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 192nd overall.
Yes, Mike McKee always has been a “man-child”, weighing 12 pounds at birth. Now at 6’5 235 he is so big that he even starts at tight end on the football team. However, some things about Mike have not always been the way they are now:
1. he was not always a hockey player as only started hockey at the ancient age (for Canada anyways) of 8.
2. he was not always a defenseman since he just converted from forward a couple of years ago.
3. he didn’t generate a whole lot of buzz until the 2011 NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp when he was paired with Scott Mayfield and didn’t look out of place. After that, the cat was out of the bag.
It is difficult to get a real read on Mike McKee since he plays US high school and many of his opponents look like they are just recently removed from diapers. However, we have already established that he is huge and we found out at the development camp that he is a good skater with a big shot. Beyond that, almost everything else is conjecture, pleasant dreaming and future skills to be learned. However, most NHL teams would love to have a smooth skating tight end to put their backfield in motion so Mr. McKee is likely to go much higher than his current skills would otherwise warrant - think Brett Ponich being drafted by St. Louis in the second by way of reference. The NHL has him rated seventh round but I find it hard to believe that 30 NHL teams could hold off drafting this “man-child” after the second or third rounds.

82. Jokipakka, Jyrki - “Jyka” - D - Finland
6’3”, 191 lb., L, Ilves, FIN E, 20-Aug-91, Stats: 48-1-8-9-18 - Rated 38th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 232nd or undrafted overall
Who knew about Jyka and how could he have been bypassed twice in the draft??? Anyone, please put up your hand if you heard about him before the U20’s this year in Buffalo!!! After the U20, the secret was out as Jyka was probably the best undrafted player in the whole tournament or very close to it. At the U20, Jyka showed off his size and reach (6’3’’), hard skills (skating, passing, mobility) and soft skills (vision, positioning, reliability consistency) that make this late-bloomer a very good bet to play in the NHL very soon - he is just too big and too good not to make it. Jyka already plays against adults in the Finnish Elite League (SM-liiga) so a few pounds, a little work on the stickhandling et voilà, Jyka is one of your team’s starting 6 d-men, OK, maybe a few months in the AHL but not much more.

83. Fritsch, Andrew - “Mr. Attacker” - RW - Canada
6’0”, 187 lb., R, Owen Sound, OHL, 24-May-93, Stats: 60-28-35-63-18-(+17) - Rated 84th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 110th overall
Andrew Fritsch is an Owen Sound Attack player who has enough hockey sense, speed, shot and puck handling capabilities to be known as a premier attacker. Although not a big guy at 6’0 187 lb., Andrew is prepared to drive to the net and cause goals down low. Unfortunately, Andrew came down with an injury which has resulted in him missing most of the playoffs so far but he will probably be back in time for the Memorial Cup.
Andrew plays on the Attack’s top line with Joey Hishon (Avalanche 1st rounder) and Garrett Wilson (Panther 4th rounder) and adds defense along with enough offense and energy to make the line one of the better lines in Major Junior this year. If it wasn’t for his average size, I would say second round for this all-around type player, however, third is more likely.

84. Jacobs, Colin - “Tex” - C - USA
6’2”, 204 lb., R, Seattle, WHL, 20-Jan-93, Stats: 68-22-22-44-69-(-20) - Rated 61st North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 77th overall
Colin is one of those rink rats who grew up watching the Dallas Stars at their practice facility near his home. Colin also was one of those who benefited from the amount of effort the Stars took in developing the game in the Dallas area - starting from 250 players and no high school teams to 5000 players and 80 high schools.
Colin is a big kid who plays with a mean steak and has pro level skating and shooting capabilities along with nice hands. He started the year with great expectations and was expected to go high in the draft, maybe even first round. Unfortunately for Colin those great expectations never came close to fruition and some would say his game even deteriorated towards the end of the season. Where that leaves Colin for the draft is a good question - if a team thinks it knows what it takes to put Colin back on track, second round is still a possibility. However, the more likely scenario is a team taking Colin in the third round hoping to steal a big power forward with a lot of NHL type qualities right under everyone’s noses.

85. Placek, Petr - “Czech Mate” - W – Czech Republic
6’4”, 210 lb., R, Hotchkiss, HS CT, 28-Dec-92, Stats: 8-7-6-13 -10 - Unranked North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting
Like Colin Jacobs, Petr Placek was expected to place very highly on the draft board at the first of the season, an outside chance of even the first round. However, like Colin Jacobs, it wasn’t to be. Petr was injured and was limited to just eight games for a lousy team. And to make matters worse, when he did play, he played a way too perimeterish for a huge guy, more like some of the dipperettes that he was playing against from the other high schools. So as a scout, do you say, forget him, he just wasn’t any good. Or do you say, wait a minute, he hardly played so he could still have lingering effects from his injury, maybe I should just forget this year and evaluate him on his potential. The answer probably lies somewhere in between but it is hard to believe that teams will take too many pawns when there still is a “Czech Mate” possible on the board. A 6’4 210 lb, winger with a huge wingspan and an excellent work ethic and alluring offensive qualities (vision, shot, strength, calmness) is likely to be gone no later than the end of the third round.

86. Koudys, Patrick - “Mr. Character” - D - Canada
6’4”, 210 lb., L, RPI, ECAC, 15-Nov-92, Stats: 31-1-2-3-14-(-1) - Rated 76th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 99th overall
If you were drafting on character, he’d go first overall,” says Mark Jooris, who coached him on the Burlington Cougars in 2009-10 when he was named the league’s “Top Prospect”.
(http://www.therecord.com/sports/article/473044--watch-this-prospect-climb-the-ladder). In addition to his character, maturity and coachability, Koudys brings an imposing size, a cannon of a shot, a nice first pass and decent straight ahead skating. He also comes from a hockey family as his Dad (Jim) won an Allan Cup and played for the Islanders in NHL exhibition games. However like a lot of teenagers looking for a job, Patrick’s resume is pretty lean as he saw only limited ice time this year as a frosh at RPI. Therefore, Patrick is more projection than reality at this stage and he also has to work more on his agility as well. Where does Patrick go??? NHL Central Scouting has him 4th which is about right but somehow I feel there is too much potential for at least one team not to make a grab for him in the third.

87. Scarlett, Reece - “Bucked Bronco” - D - Canada
6’1”, 168 lb., R, Swift Current, WHL, 31-Mar-93, Stats: 72-6-18-24-59-(-37) - Rated 57th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 72nd overall
Reece Scarlett is a guy I really, really like who, lets face it, had an awful, awful time of it this year. I really like him because he is so fluid with his skating and his long arms seem to reach out to everywhere and he makes some sweet passes up ice. However, this Bronco was on a terrible, terrible Bronco hockey team and got bucked and gored more than a few times. Because the team was so awful, Reece ended up playing half the game including power play, penalty kill and most critical situations. So, Reece who is of slight build anyways ended up getting gassed and being part of the problem rather than part of the solution. I still believe that teams are smart enough to see the potential of this guy if he can bulk up enough not to get pushed around in the dirty areas and is developed properly. I had him as a late second rounder earlier in the year but he will be penalized at least a little for his performance so he is more likely to be a third or early fourth rounder.

88. Yuen, Zachary - “Mr. Who” - D - Canada
6’0”, 205 lb., L, Tri-City, WHL, 3-Mar-93, Stats: 72-8-24-32-65-(+41) - Rated 69th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 89th overall
Talk out about being under the radar and your very nose at the same time and your talking about Mr. Who, Zachary Yuen, a 6’0 205 lb. defenseman of Chinese descent, who plays for the Tri-City Amercians in the Dub. Even though he is not a “wowser” type of guy, Zachary Yuen does some things special even from under the radar. First is his skating, because of his figure skating background he has the edges and can make the turns that kind of remind you of PK Subban. Second, even with his modest physique, Zachary has mastered the course in taking out your man in front of the net. Third, he has a zen-like presence in making quality first passes no matter what the distraction. So, it is perhaps no surprise that Zachary let his club in plus-minus with a +41 rating and was on the lead defender duo for the Americans. Really, the only thing that could keep from the second round is his modest size. Central Scouting and I, for once, are almost in agreement as they have him 89th and I have him 88th

89. Sullivan, Colin - “Mr. Ferrari” - D - USA
6’2”, 205 lb., R, Avon Old Farms, HS CT, 26-Mar-93, Stats: 27-3-12-15-14 - Rated 75th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 97th overall
Two things you need to know about Colin Sullivan:
1. It’s the skating, stupid!!! Colin can take you through all the gears and he can make all the turns at top speed so all you want to do is put the top down and enjoy the moment.
2. Guys like Sydney Crosby and Nick Leddy have taken less than impressive physiques and shaped them to suit the rigours of the NHL. Colin Sullivan is one of those guys on a mission in the gym and the results are stating to show and will only get better.
Here is what Central Scouting's Gary Eggleston told NHL.com @ http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556436 "He's a strong skater with a good stride and carries the puck with confidence. He usually beats the forechecking forward to open up options and his passes are strong on the tape. He also has a knack for getting himself established quickly at the blue line in order to give teammates a quick option to kick the puck back out to the point."
Still, Colin has only played high school hockey so there are questions of how well he will do at the next level when he suits up for Yale. So, where the wheels and determination will take Colin in the draft is a very open question - third or fourth are strong possibilities.

90. Ouellet, Xavier - “Mr. Chameleon” - D - Canada
6’1”, 177 lb., L, Montréal, QMJHL, 29-Jul-93, Stats: 67-8-35-43-44-(+28) - Rated 60th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 76th overall
I have a great difficulty rating this guy. Some really like him as Central Scouting’s
Chris Bordeleau told NHL.com @ http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=554025
. "He's such a fluid skater, with excellent all-round mobility. He's not a physical player by any means because he's not that big (5-foot-11 1/2, 182 pounds), something he'll definitely have to work at, which is my only concern. For the rest, he's an excellent passer, reads the play very well and has an accurate shot that he uses so teammates can deflect in front of the net." Others really skewer him like the report Redline did on their write-up of the Top Prospects game performances @ http://www.redlinereport.com/ As for myself, I have am closer to the Redline Report as in the games I have seen him in he has not been too good defensively, particularly when it comes to physical interaction or good decision making in the defensive zone. So who do you believe, the scouts who are paid to do this work or your own lying eyes (as Groucho Marx used to say). Central Scouting has him mid third round and his strong statistics support that but on draft day we shall see whose eyes are lying.

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Nice write-ups, but I really doubt that Scarlett will drop that low.

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
I am travel fatigued so bear with me....

Forsberg at #106 ....where does the #106 come from?

Also, why is Forsberg discussed but many players ranked higher- Goff, Navin, Willick, Uher etc. not?

thks

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I am travel fatigued so bear with me....

Forsberg at #106 ....where does the #106 come from?

Also, why is Forsberg discussed but many players ranked higher- Goff, Navin, Willick, Uher etc. not?

thks

#106 is just my own ranking - I am only going to try to do write-ups on the first 120 guys in my own rankings - the others guys you have quoted would be after 120.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
Very nice write-up especially for us fans who don't get the opportunity for follow the prospects, this is very nice. Will you be doing a 120-180 write-up as well?

I will be hard pressed to finish the first 80 - it takes a lot of time. However, I may do a few more if the weather continues to be as crappy as this week.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2011: 71-80
As I said in the previous posts, the purpose of this thread is to show a little love for those players taken in the latter rounds as they do not get the exposure or the interest of those in the first round. The NHL success rate for third rounders is about 1 in 4 (24% by my calculations based on years 2003 to 2005).

71. Perhonen, Samu - “Master Butterfly” - G - Finland

6’3”, 174 lb., L, JYP U20, FIN U20, 7-Mar-93, Stats: 29-2-2.71-.922 - Rated 1st European Goalie by NHL Central Scouting
Going into the U18’s, Samu Perhonen had a very good chance of being the first goalie selected in the 2011 NHL draft - rated No 1 European Goalie by NHL Central Scouting, rated No 1 overall goalie by the goalie guru, Jerry Shields, - http://www.goalierankings.com/ - and rated third overall goalie in Bob MacKenzie’s scouts poll in January. However, coming out of the U18’s, that is no longer likely to be the case as Samu had a very poor performance at the U18’s - 4-0-3.52-.875. However, that doesn’t mean that Samu is no longer a good goaltender, it just means that he is not as far along the development curve as previously thought and therefore his draft stock will drop a little. Samu still brings that large butterfly goalie with the right amount of athleticism to the table and will overcome this temporary setback in the future as he gains more experience. If your name is your destiny, Samu has chosen the right profession as Perhonen in Finnish means butterfly. Samu may still go in the second but third is more likely now.

72. Lowe, Keegan - “Mr. Oiler” - D - USA
6’1”, 176 lb., L, Edmonton, WHL, 29-Mar-93, Stats: 71-2-22-24-123-(+33) - Rated 88th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 114th overall
Sure it helps if your Dad has won six Stanley Cups (current President of Hockey Operations for the Edmonton Oilers, Kevin Lowe) and your Mom has won two bronze metals for Canada at the Olympics (Alpine skier, Karen Percy). However, no matter who your parents are, at the end of the day, you have to do it on the ice yourself. So when you have a less than promising start to the season and you are designated a faller by many, most fall by the wayside. That was not the case with Keegan Lowe as he went to work on his deficiencies and turned his game around so that at the end of the year he ended up with a +33 on a rather mediocre Edmonton team. So when his Dad told The Hockey News - http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/39590-Prospect-Watch-Keegan-Lowe.html - “He kinda has everything we’re looking for. He has hockey sense and he’s competitive, he can play both ways. I think he’s a pretty well-rounded player.” - it wasn’t just the boast of a proud papa but a quote others in the hockey community could concur with. So what do you get with Keegan, a defensive defenseman capable of shutting down the other teams top line, excelling on the penalty kill and playing strong positional hockey. He also has a nice shot, decent skating, a good first pass and plays with the hockey acumen you would expect from someone with a last name of Lowe. He still is reed-thin and needs to bulk up more than a little but somehow those are issues you are not too worried about. NHL Central Scouting has him fourth round but I am betting that at least one team (Edmonton or otherwise) will step up to the podium and call out the name of Lowe before the third round has ended.

73. Salomaki, Miikka - “Mr. Hustle” - C - Finland
5’11”, 198 lb., L, Kärpät, FIN-E, 9-Mar-93, Stats: 40-4-6-10-53 - Rated 7th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 44th overall
There is a wide divergence of view on this guy. Some have him very high, Future Considerations had him 43 in April and NHL Central Scouting’s Final rankings along with Bob MacKenzie’s January rankings had him at 44. Those that like him site his Mr. Hustle type of approach to the game along with his high level of compete all over the ice. He played in the Finnish Elite League (SM-liiga) this year so he didn’t get much in the way of minutes as a 17 year-old and was mainly put on the ice for his defensive capabilities. Those that are not as high on him, Kirk Luedeke - http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/2011/04/world-under-18-championship-day-6.html and Corey Pronman - http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=199 - take a more “Where’s the beef ?” approach in saying that there is not enough wow or upside to get excited over this guy. As for myself, I see Mr. Hustle as a pesky checking line forward who starts to have value in the third round but could slip to as late as the end of the fourth. Whose view prevails on draft day is what makes draft day interesting.

74. St. Croix, Michael - “Mr. Elusive” - C/RW - Canada
5’11”, 179 lb., R, Edmonton, WHL, 10-Apr-93, Stats: 67-27-48-75-48-(+28) - Rated 59th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 77th overall
Your Dad is a former NHL goalie and goalie coach (Rick St. Croix) so you better be able to score. Well, Micheal St. Croix can do just that along with being an elite passer and skater, having a great shot and imbibing that innate hockey sense that you can only be born with. He has that elusive now-you-see-him, now-you-don’t quality that keeps goalies up late at night. This year Michael also worked hard to silence the critics that said his defensive game was not up to snuff as he finished the year with a plus 28, tops for forwards on a so-so Edmonton Oil Kings club. His size probably limits him from showing off on Friday night, i.e. be a first rounder. Central Scouting and I have him third but second is just as likely.

75. Nermark, Joachim - “Dr. Jekyll” - C - Sweden
6’1”, 187 lb., L, Linköping J20, SWE J20, 12-May-93, Stats: 37-8-18-26-16 - Rated 8th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 45th overall
Will, the real Joachim Nermark please stand up??? Do we get the uber-fine superstar Joachim as we saw at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament where he was outstanding with 5 goals and 7 assists in just 5 games. Do we get the just OK Joachim that we got during the regular season playing Swedish J20 hockey, 26 points in 37 games. Or do we get the disappearing Joachim as we got in the U18 tournament, just 1 goal and a -2 in 5 games. The uber-fine Nermark is noted for his skating, quick shot, passing, hands, hockey sense and his willingness to compete down low. However, we didn’t get to see much of that at the U18’s and not enough during the regular season. Unless some team thinks they have the magic formula to turn this guy’s Dr. Jekyll performances into something more like the uber-fine Mr. Hyde performance at the Ivan Hlinka, I am hard pressed to believe this guy will be taken before the third round.

76. Yarullin, Albert - “Mr. Real” - D - Russia
6’0”, 194 lb., R, Bars Kazan, MHL, 3-May-93, Stats: 44-3-5-8-73-(+5) - Rated 67th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting which equates to undrafted
Get real!!! How can Russia’s best defenseman from the 5 Nations tournament and the U18’s not be rated as a draftable defenseman especially since he led all players at the U18’s in plus-minus with a plus 12 and was second overall in points for a defenseman with 11 in 7 games. Not only that he also can play with NHL type physicality and can put on a show with his shooting and passing capabilities. Yet NHL Central Scouting has him at 67th rated European skater which means he will go undrafted. Being rated is one question, where he gets drafted is a completely different question. North American playing Russian-born skaters usually do not take much of a hit for being Russian. Star Russian players playing in Russia usually take a hit - about half a round or more. Lesser known players take a big hit and some are not even drafted such as Dvurechensky and Zaitsyev. Albert is more of a second round type of guy in terms of ratings so I have him taken in the third round with the Russian factor - is that right? If you know, you are probably the guy drafting him come June.

77. Ewanyk, Travis - “Mr. Teammate” - C/LW - Canada
6’1”, 184 lb., L, Edmonton, WHL, 29-Mar-93, Stats: 72-16-11-27-126-(-3) - Rated 66th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 85th overall
The math is very simple, if you want to win, you need a teammate like Travis Ewanyk. Not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy, not the most skilled guy, he is the guy who has your back, takes the key face-offs in the defensive zone, kills the penalties, plays a shutdown role when needed, creates energy for the whole team with his checking and open ice hitting. Redline Reports’s Kyle Woodlief had this to say about him after the U18’s - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...+scouts+under+championship/4679895/story.html - "Wow. Ewanyk was a revelation in Germany. He has better hands and stick skills than I realized and his fire and passion are unmatched." Bottom line, if you want a third or fourth line winner, you want Travis Ewanyk. While he doesn’t necessarily have second round skills, don’t be too shocked if someone calls his name out in the second (think Dalton Smith last year) although third is more likely.

78. Reilly, Mike - “Mr. Peanut Butter” - D - USA
5’11”, 178 lb., L, Shattuck St. Mary’s, HS MN, 13-Jul-93, Stats: 48-13-30-43-26 - Rated 52nd North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 65th overall
How do you like your peanut butter??? If your answer is smooth, you may like this Minnesota high school player a lot. Mike comes from a hockey family, his Dad (Mike Sr.) was drafted 140th in the 1977 NHL draft by Montreal, he and two older twin brothers (Connor and Ryan) are committed to the University of Minnesota and last but not least, his sister (Shannon) plays for Ohio State. What type of player is Mike, Jack Barzee from NHL’s Central Scouting had this to say about Mike at NHL.com - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556436 - “He's smart, polished and effortless … just a highly skilled kid. Mike Reilly is like John-Michael Liles (Colorado Avalanche). He's dynamic and he never beats himself. If he does get beat, it's because the guy made a heck of a play on him. He's like a Timex watch, he just keeps on playing, keeps it simple.” The downside to Mike is his size. He is slight and under-sized even for the Reilly family so the question you have to ask is, can he go into the gym and Leddyize (an under-sized fellow Minnesotan defenseman now playing for the Black Hawks who put in the hard gym effort to NHLize his body) himself for the NHL. If the answer is yes, you may have found yourself a power play quarterback, if no, just forget him. Third round (second round talent with a very high risk factor) is possible if you are a believer. Otherwise, you might just send a note to Mike telling him to study hard at the University of Minnesota for his career in something other than hockey.

79. Harrington, Scott - “Mr. Keep-it-simple” - D - Canada
6’1”, 207 lb., L, London, OHL, 10-Mar-93, Stats - Rated 98th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 128th overall
Former NHLer and London Knights General Manager, Mark Hunter, says Scott Harrington is going to be an NHLer too some day and I believe him. While there was a lot of buzz about Scott going into the year after he had a successful Ivan Hlinka tournament, that quickly died down as the offense expected of him never materialized. Scott markets himself as a shutdown defender who is a decent skater and when he plays like he markets himself he can be pretty effective. I have seen him on the power play and he has a decent shot but doesn’t seem to have the creativity necessary to be NHL type successful with his offense. So, if you are looking for a decent skating, keep-it-simple-stupid, decent but not outstanding size, Scott Harrington may be your man. Personally, I feel we will see a much better Scott Harrington next year as gets a better idea of who he is and plays within his abilities. NHL Central Scouting has him fifth round but Bob MacKenzie’s January poll of scouts had him late second. My feeling is he will slip some from MacKenzie’s poll and be taken mid to late third or early fourth.

80. Lieuwen, Nathan - “Mr. Never-too-late” - G – Canada
6’5”, 191 lb., L, Kootenay, WHL, 8-Aug-91, Stats: 55-3-2.79-.903 - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting
As Yogi Berra used to say, “It ain’t over till it’s over.” And it was almost over this year for Nathan Lieuwen, he had been by-passed twice in the draft and had a so-so 2010-11 regular season with a record of 55-3-2.79-.903 but then came the playoffs and Mr. Lieuwen and his Kootenay Ice went on a tear. The first round was not too surprising as the 4th place Ice (East) beat 5th place Moose Jaw 4 games to 2. But then they shocked everyone by sweeping 1st place (East) Saskatoon and followed it up by sweeping 3rd place (East) Medicine Hat and then besting a stacked Portland team (1st in west) in only five. Overall, Mr. Lieuwen went on a 16-3 run and posted a 19-3-2.24-.923 record, not bad for a left over.
So why wasn’t he drafted before? Well in 2007 Nathan suffered a serious concussion when he was a passenger in a car that rolled over and the effects lingered well into the 2008-09 season and he ended the year with only a .885 save percentage. And in 2009-10 Nathan suffered another serious injury when he collided with Troy Rutkowski and ended the year unspectacularly with a.896 save percentage. And 2010-11 was hardly any better with a .903 save percentage. And the 2010-11 playoffs didn’t look like they would be any better as Nathan had just an .844 save percentage in the first three games of the playoffs. After that, the lights went on and it was show time for Mr. Lieuwen and what a show it was!!! Where Nathan Liuwen goes in this year’s draft is anybody’s guess but with the lack of any non-risky goalie prospects after the big four (the two Gibson’s, Hellberg, and Perhonen), I am going to go out on a limb and state that I expect to hear Nathan Lieuman’s name called relatively early in the draft, maybe even third round. And why not, a 6’5 guy with ability and agility that takes up a lot of net isn’t too easy to find and success is success no matter how late it comes. Good luck at the Memorial Cup Nathan and do Yogi proud!!!

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I really don't see St. Croix slipping that far, could be wrong though, but I highly doubt it.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
Wow! Unbelievable posts. These are by far some of the most informative, in depth, and accurate scouting reports I have read on these boards. Keep them coming, I am loving reading them. For someone like myself who has not seen alot of the kids live this helps alot! keep em coming.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
2011: 61-70
As I said in the previous posts, the purpose of this thread is to show a little love for those players taken in the latter rounds as they do not get the exposure or the interest of those in the first round. These are just the writings of a fan not some elite hockey scout and have been written with the intention of making them memorable enough so that a casual reader has a chance of remembering them when the prospect’s name comes up in June. Some will be successful, some will not - however, I am hoping for a better success rate than the 24% chance the NHL teams currently have in selecting an NHL player in the third round.

61. Tvrdon, Marek - “Titanium Guy†- LW – Slovakia
6’2â€, 212 lb., L, Vancouver, WHL, 21-Jan-93, Stats: 12-6-5-11-14-(+3) - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting
Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it’s “Titanium Guyâ€. That is what Marek Tvrdon hopes to hear next fall when he returns to the ice after recuperating from a serious shoulder injury.
Big things were expected of Marek Tvrdon when he came to North America this year. After all he was coming off a great 2010 U18 for Slovakia where he had seven points in six games. Things were starting to look pretty good at the beginning of the season too as he quickly found chemistry with Brendan Gallagher and Craig Cunningham and the trio formed one of the top lines in the Dub. However, it was not to be for long. On October 16, 2010, Marek received a shoulder injury that required a serious operation along with some titanium (used in making of jets) to put Humpty Tvrdon back together again. That was it for the season and puts a big “if†into where Marek will end up in the draft. Last year, a similar big winger, Curtis Hamilton, was expected to go in the second round before he suffered a major injury but eventually did go 48th to Edmonton. So, there is still hope for Marek and I would be very surprised if he lasted beyond the third round. So what do you get, well, you get a guy who is very good down low. He has a nice shot too but most of his goals come so close to the crease that you could blow the puck past the line. He has the big power forward size and uses it effectively along the boards as well as the crease area. He also has the overall passing and agility expected of someone that you think can put up some major points on the board. This is a pick not without risks (injury, consistency issues) but it has the opportunity for a nice payback just like Curtis Hamilton appears to be for Edmonton. Check him out, no 14 on the ice or 22 on the atomic scale (atomic number for titanium) on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvlj1dh-b4g

62. Gibson, Christopher - “Mr. Finnish Canadian†- G - Finland
6’1â€, 198 lb., L, Chicoutimi, QMJHL, 27-Dec-92, Stats: 37-4-2.42-.920 - Rated 2nd North American Goalie by NHL Central Scouting which equates to about 49th overall
So what do you get when you cross an English martial arts instructor (who happens to be black) with a Finnish au pair, a Grant Fuhr or a Miikka Kirprusoff? The answer is neither, silly, you get a Christopher Gibson. He is Finnish but he has been over here long enough now that he is more Canadian than a lot of Canadians. After all, how many people reading this can say they spent a year in a small village in the middle of the Prairies where the only language you are likely to hear is English (Wilcox, Saskatchewan where Christopher played for the Notre Dame Hounds and won a national midget title) followed by two years in the heart of “Bluet Country†(Chicoutimi, Quebec of the QMJHL) where the language spoken on the streets is French - not many.
Christopher is a highly rated goalie for the upcoming draft - No 2 North American goalie by NHL Central Scouting, No 2 overall goalie by the goalie guru, Jerry Shields - http://www.goalierankings.com/ and No 49 overall by Bob MacKenzie in his January poll of scouts. He had a very good year with a so-so Chicoutimi team where he posted a record of 37-4-2.42-.920. However, his season ended on a rather sour note as Christopher was simply not that good when he posted a record of only - 4-0-5.20-.865 - in the playoffs. This will not likely affect Christopher that much as his competition is not that stiff but it probably means he will be competing with Samu Perhonen (who also had a lack luster end of the season at the U18’s) for third goalie chosen overall after Magnus Hellberg and John Gibson rather than with the other two for number one.
So if you are looking for the type of driven, competitive goalie that you might expect from the son of a black belter, Christopher Gibson is your man. He plays a butterfly style and shows the decent size, agility and athleticism that most team’s are looking for these days. He will likely go of the boards in the second or third rounds depending on how urgent the teams feel their goaltending needs are these days.

63. Kichton, Brenden - “Mr. Dangerfield†- D - Canada
5’11â€, 187 lb., R, Spokane, WHL, 18-Jun-92, Stats: 64-35-58-81-31-(+55) - Unrated by NHL Central Scouting
Yes, I understand why he went unrated by NHL Central Scouting. After all he only led all defensemen in the WHL with 81 points to prove his offense and led his team in plus-minus with a +55 to prove his defense and followed it up with the team’s best plus-minus in the playoffs with a +10. NOT!!! Talk about no respect!!!
However, Brenden Kichton is not someone to worry over things he has no control over. Last year Brenden Kichton went undrafted because he was under-sized and was buried on the bottom pairing of a defensively-rich Spokane team. So, Brenden didn’t complain; he did something about it - he went to the gym to add to his strength and physique so that when the season started, Brenden was ready for top-pairing five on five with Jared Cowan, top-pairing power play as well as the penalty kill. Brenden models his game after Brian Rafalski and is a very effective puck-moving defenceman and power play quarterback. He has the vision, the passing, the skating, the defensive positioning and awareness skills that are likely to prove just as effective as he moves up the ranks. He has second round skills but could slip to the third round because of his size.

64. Bengtsson, Rasmus - “Mr. Desirable†- D - Sweden
6’2â€, 196 lb., L, Rögle, SWE 2, 14-May-93, Stats: 45-2-7-9-6 - Rated 10th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 67th overall
Most casual hockey observers on this side of the pond are just getting to know Swedish draft eligible defensemen, Jonas Brodin and Oscar Klefbom, both likely to go in the first round in addition to Adam Larsson. However, there is another draft-eligible Swedish defenseman of considerable promise in Rasmus Bengtsson. Rasmus is just back from the U18’s where he led all Swedish defensemen in plus-minus at plus eight and was third overall for defensemen behind the two Russians, Yarullin and Nesterov. Rasmus has the nice size at 6’2, 196 lb., the strong skating and passing expected of a Swedish defender, the “you’d better get out of the way†booming shot from the point and the good hockey sense necessary to be a top notch defender. Sure, like most Swedish defensemen, he is going to need to get a little more physical and a little stronger and to improve some other facets to his game when he crosses over to this side of the pond but those are just refinements - the essentials are already in place. Where will he go? Central Scouting and I have him in the early third but he is just as likely to go in the second. Those expecting him to steal him in the fourth can forget it - he is only likely to go up in rounds.

65. Paliotta, Mike - “Top Cat†- D - USA6’3â€, 198 lb., R, USA U18, USHL, 16-Apr-93, Stats - Rated 86th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 112 overall
You want a big, right-handed shutdown defenseman with a good first pass and a good shot who skates very well for a big guy - Mike Paliotta may be your man. Mike does not appear to have major offensive potential but guys with his size and reach who can play a shutdown role against the other team’s top lines are a commodity in short supply with lots of worth. The NHL has him 4th round, Bob MacKenzie’s January poll of scouts had him 2nd round and I have him early 3rd round - but count on him going earlier rather than later.
Mike is committed to play at the University of Vermont Catamounts next year.
Mike is in no way a finished product but he has learned a lot going through the NDP program. Scouts are hoping that when he finally fills out and learns to use his “God-given†physical tools to their full extent that he will be able to be “Billy-Goat-Gruff†every night, ouch!!!

66. Granlund, Markus - “Captain Finland†- C - Finland
5’10â€, 163 lb., L, HIFK U20, FIN U20, 16-Apr-93, Stats: 40-20-32-52-49 - Rated 9th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 63 overall
Markus Granlund is not only the brother of Minnesota first round pick Michael Granlund, he is also a hockey star in his own right. This year, he had 52 points in 40 games in the Finnish U20 league and looked good internationally as well as Captain of the Finnish U18 team. At the Five Nations tournament in February, Micheal was fourth in scoring and first on the team. He followed that up with a strong performance at the U18’s where he was tied for eighth in scoring with ten points in six games and tied for the lead on his team in plus-minus with a +4. Last year he won a bronze medal playing with his brother playing at the U18’s.
Ok, so what can the boy do? Well, he can make plays so amazing that you will drop all your popcorn in your beer and not even know it. He also has an awesome passing ability, elite hands and vision and is prepared to work as hard as necessary to get the job done. The downside to Micheal is his size and strength. He will have to really work on his strength training to be successful at the next level because it really affects his game not only by getting knocked down or off the puck but also by keeping his game way too perimeterish for a kid of his talents. Where does he go in the draft??? I would like to think Markus would be steal in the third round if a team thinks he can get strong enough for the pros, if not, he could fall to 4th or 5th due to a high risk factor.

67. Friberg, Max - “Mr. Energy†- LW - Sweden
5’11â€, 185 lb., R, Skövde, SWE Div 1, 20-Nov-92, Stats: 34-13-27-40-6 - Rated 13th North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 78th overall
Max Friberg is like the Energizer Bunny, you put him out on the ice and he just turns it on. He is the type of guy who lights up smiles on the face of his teammates, his coaches and the fans in the stands alike. He is an aggressive little rink rat who likes to engage the opposition by taking the puck to the net, pesky forechecking and driving through opposition defensemen. He also has a good, quick shot, decent but not high end puck handling skills and is willing to work at all parts of the ice. Some people may call him a tweener but I see him more as a versatile player who can be a low-end second liner who helps to generate chances and keep the opposition off-balance as well as providing the energy guy on a bottom six line along with good defense. He will need to work on his strength to be able to migrate his current level of success to the pros but he already plays with a low center of gravity so that part should come without too much difficulty. Max is probably a little short of having solid second round skills but brings decent value in the third for a team needing a little extra energy.

68. Trocheck, Vincent - “Mr. All-Weather†- C - USA
5’11â€, 180 lb., R, Saginaw, OHL, 11-Jul-93, Stats: 68-26-36-62-60-(+16) - Rated 41st North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 51st overall
Small dog, big bite, prepared to do what it takes to go after or keep the bone. NHL’s Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards told NHL.com - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555536 - “Vince has a lot of grit in his game. He's willing to battle and come out with the puck. Very good passing ability. Vince is smart, he gets himself into good shooting position on the power play and gets off one-timers. He plays a steady, two-way game and plays with good energy.â€
Vince is the all-weather go-to tire that the Saginaw Gears use for all types of weather from power play to penalty kill. However, he hasn’t put up big numbers with all that quality ice time so he is probably more-suited to a third-line checker and energy role in the pros. While he has get the passion, the vision, the hockey sense and puck handling that coaches love, his lack of size, skating passing gear and average scoring are likely to result in him going third or fourth round.

69. Cousins, Nick - “Cinderella Guy†- C - Canada
5’11â€, 170 lb., L, Sault. St. Marie, OHL, 20-Jul-93, Stats: 68-29-39-68-56-(-14) - Rated 71st North American Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 91st overall
If Nick Cousins were a debutante like Cinderella, the U18’s would have been his coming out ball. If Nick Cousins didn’t have any suitors before the U18’s, they are plenty of teams eyeing him now. It didn’t start out to be this way. Nick Cousins went to the U18’s as an extra clean up guy like Cinderella and his teammate, the highly rated Daniel Catenacci, was supposed to be the first line star. However, after the exhibition games, somehow it was Nick Cousins who was on the first line and eventually went on to lead the Canadian team in points for forwards (tied with Scheifele) at eight in seven games plus leading the entire team in plus-minus with a plus three.
Before the U18’s, Nick Cousins was barely an after thought in Sault Ste. Marie, a wee forward (many sites listed him at 5’9 150 lb. and he looked it) that barely caused an eyebrow to raise on the hardy scout who braved the winter weather of Northern Ontario to get to the Soo in order to admire the exploits of the higher rated Daniel Catenacci and the amazing progression of Ryan Sproul after Christmas (I have driven to the Soo in the winter when it was snowing and it is no fun). After the U18’s, most are looking at Nick in a different light. Instead of the negatives (size, defense, play without the puck), teams are starting to see the positives a Nick Cousins can bring to a team - clutch scoring, leadership, vision, hands, playmaking, skating, peskiness, drive. As his General Manager, Dave Torrie said, - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/mark...ects-and-draftees-flying-under-the-radar.html - “Nick is the most popular player in our room and has leadership qualities rarely seen in a young player" - nice praise indeed.
Where does Nick Cousins go in the draft? Good question!!! If a team thinks that Nick has the skills and scrappiness to offset his lack of size and that he will be able to add enough strength to play in the pros, I can see him going off the board in the third - however, players his size (5’11 170 lb.) even after strong U18 performances have being known to drop (think Toni Rajala dropping to the fourth round in 2009) to where a team feels the risk-reward factor is more in balance. Good luck Nick!!!

70. Boyce-Rotevall, Jeremy - “Mr. Loco-motion†- LW - Sweden
6’0â€, 170 lb., L, TimrÃ¥, SWE E, 28-Aug-93, Stats: 33-1-2-3-4 - Rated 14th European Skater by NHL Central Scouting, about 92nd overall
Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall is a player with amazing speed and acceleration who plays with determination and passion and doesn’t mind driving to the net. He played quite a bit on Team Sweden’s top line at the U18’s with Victor Rask and Mika Zibanejad, collecting a point a game. However, he is more likely to prosper as a third liner at the next level as he has yet to demonstate the elite top six finishing ability. He is smallish but he has the speed and drive that his size should not be as big a problem as some similar players of like stature. He is going to move from Timrå to Sundsvall next year so we will likely get more quality ice time. Give this late birthday boy (28-Aug-93) time to develop and get stronger and you may have a nice third line winger some day. 3rd or 4th are possibilities with my money on 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad