WJC: 2010 WJC Captains?

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
Michal Jordan was named captain of the Czech Republic. This is from an article on NHL.com:

Captaining the team will be defenseman Michel Jordan. A 2008 fourth-round pick of the Carolina Hurricanes, Jordan has 8 goals and 21 points in 23 games for the OHL's Plymouth Whalers. He had 1 assist and a minus-2 rating last year in Ottawa.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I am intrigued that Kruger is wearing an "A" for Sweden. I understand he is having a great offensive season, but I had no idea about his leadership qualities. He was chosen over returnees such as MPS, Tedenby, Erixon, Rundblad, etc. His legend keeps growing.

Sorry, forgot IMO. But Mårts basically said it on TV that Johansson would be captain. Krüger was captain of Djurgården's J20 team if I remember correctly, and is one of the oldest players on the team. Lander is also a guess.

Edit: I think I got all the captains right when I guessed last year, just wrong about which letter they got.

Spitfire14

Nov 11, 2009
Windsor, On
Since Teubert was the only returnee to play in the last exhibition game, I'm guessing he's the captain. Eberle and Cormier should get the two A's.

He was in the exhibition game because Canada was telling him to step up his play or he won't make the team.

Personally, obviously being a Spitfire fan.. I would love Ellis to be Captain, Nemisz and Henrique with the A's... that obviously won't happen.. lol

Andy Strickland (A St. Louis Blues Reporter) heard that Pietrangelo will be the captain. I think that would be ok, the only one who is in the NHL. My votes would then be for Ellis and Eberle for the A's.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I agree with Tebuert getting the C while Cormier and Eberle get the As. Really, though, I think you could interchange any of these three and it would be a good choice for Canada.

~Canucklehead~

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
John Carlson for USA. I hope. :)

Not sure he would have worn the C anyway over a returning player like Schroeder, but I think the fact he is not attending the camp this weekend could impact that, too; my guess is he wears an A if he wears a letter. I assume it's not his decision, but rather the Capitals in agreeing to let him play in the tourney.

brs, Someone answered this already, but all reports to date are that Johansson is expected to be the C for Sweden, including a statement by McPhee a week or two ago on the subject.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
Looking at the careers in the NHL most WJC captains have had, I'm not so sure it's an honor to be named Captain.

1995 Todd Harvey
1996 Nolan Baumgartner
1997 Brad Larsen
1998 Cory Sarich
1999 Mike Van Ryn
2000 Manny Malhotra
2001 Steve McCarthy
2002 Jarret Stoll
2003 Scottie Upshall
2004 Dan Paille
2005 Mike Richards
2006 Kyle Chipchura
2007 Kristopher Letang

Many have had excellent NHL careers, but in most of these cases, other players on the team have had better NHL careers.

Doesn't mean much, but I guess just food for thought.

Nazem Kadri for Captain :laugh: Joking

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The fact of the matter is, 19 year olds are always named Captain of this team. If your still in this tournament at the age of 19 as opposed to 16,17,18 its much less likely your going to be an NHL star. Perhaps the most successful player above is Mike Richards but he would have been in the NHL along with 8-9 other players on that team had it not been for the lockout.

Its still an honour...

this is a very good point... if you're still playing in the WJC as a 19 year old, then chances are you're not going to be a star in the NHL.... oilers fans such as myself should remember this when talking about eberle's stats this year (and i'm a big eberle fan)

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
this is a very good point... if you're still playing in the WJC as a 19 year old, then chances are you're not going to be a star in the NHL.... oilers fans such as myself should remember this when talking about eberle's stats this year (and i'm a big eberle fan)

Im starting to get the idea Eberle wont be captain ;)

Although I think Oilers fans should remember most players who turn into stars are playing in the league by 18,19, it is only the norm and their are many exceptions. Besides Eberle was a stud in the tournament last year as an 18 year old which may be a better indicator of future success anyways.
I think the hype around Eberle has a lot to do with the goal against the Russians and his clutch performance in general, hes practically a national hero before even going pro. Regardless, I think he'll handle first line duty in the NHL someday.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Guys, none of us know all of these players personaly, im sure the captain will be picked by their off-ice contributions, so i wouldnt be surprised if the captain is none of the players mentioned.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Patrice Cormier named team captain for Canada

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=232&id_nouvelle=2339

Patrice Cormier named captain of Canadian National Junior Team
2009-12-19
(Image: Patrice Cormier will lead Team Canada)

REGINA, Saturday, December 19, 2009 – Canada’s National Junior Team coaching staff announced on Saturday that Patrice Cormier (Cap-Pelé, N.B./Rimouski, QMJHL) will serve as team captain at the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship. It marks the first time in the history of the National Junior Team that a native of New Brunswick has been named team captain.

Team Canada’s coaching staff also announced that five players will serve as alternate captains in a rotation from game to game: Stefan Della Rovere (Maple, Ont./Barrie, Ont.), Jordan Eberle (Regina, Sask./Regina, WHL), Ryan Ellis (Freelton, Ont./Windsor, Ont.), Alex Pietrangelo (King City, Ont./St. Louis, NHL) and Colten Teubert (White Rock, B.C./Regina, WHL)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I dig it, can't go wrong with Cormier. And with such a short tournament you might as well share the A's with the returning players to try and avoid any jealousy etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

I'm not saying Eberle is going to be a star in the NHL but it should be mentioned that he is probably should be in the big leagues. He was arguably the Oilers best forward in the preseason, put up a ppg in the AHL and is completely dominating the WHL. So while I agree that mos 19 year olds still playing in the WJC probably won't light up the NHL...Eberle is kind of a victim of circumstances. He could step onto the Oilers 2nd line right now and would probably be an upgrade(offensively) over Cogliano, Nilsson, O'Sullivan and Horcoff.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
Sorry, forgot IMO. But Mårts basically said it on TV that Johansson would be captain. Krüger was captain of Djurgården's J20 team if I remember correctly, and is one of the oldest players on the team. Lander is also a guess.

Edit: I think I got all the captains right when I guessed last year, just wrong about which letter they got.

No problem! I guess we will find out in about 9 hours when the best WJC game before New Year's Eve gets underway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad