WJC: 2010 WJC Captains?

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Anyone got any information on this? Guesses?

###

Austria
C - Dominique Heinrich
A - Andreas Kristler
A - Fabian Scholz (extra: Alexander Pallestrang)

Canada
C - Patrice Cormier
A - Stefan Della Rovere/Jordan Eberle/Ryan Ellis/Alex Pietrangelo/Colten Teubert (rotation)

Czech Republic
C - Michal Jordan
A - Radko Gudas
A - Jan Káňa

Finland
C - Jyri Niemi
A - Mikael Granlund
A - Joonas Rask

Latvia
C - Roberts Bukarts
A - Gunārs Skvorcovs
A - Raimonds Vilkoits

Russia
C - Nikita Filatov
A - Maxim Chudinov
A - Evgeni Timkin

Slovakia
C - Jakub Gašparovič
A - Radoslav Illo
A - Martin Štajnoch (extra: Tomáš Tatar)

Sweden
C - Marcus Johansson
A - Anton Lander
A - David Rundblad

Switzerland
C - Luca Sbisa
A - Roman Josi
A - Tristan Scherwey

U.S.
C - Derek Stepan
A - John Carlson/Jordan Schroeder/David Warsofsky (rotation)

Last edited:

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Patrice Cormier would be my choice for Canada.

While very talented, I think there are others more deserving on wearing the 'C' for Team Canada. He did gain experience from playing in the tournament last year, but so did a few other players. If I had to choose a player right now, I would go with Jordan Eberle. You can count on him being on the ice for all the important players and will be a huge impact player for the team. Another mentionable canidate would be Ryan Ellis on the blueline, who is returning for his second stint in the tournament.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
cormier for canada for sure. I might just be saying that cause ive played hockey against him all the way up until junior A but hes always been a great leader

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
For the US I think the guys that get the letters are Jordan Schroeder, Danny Kristo and John Carlson. I'm not sure who takes the captaincy though.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Has it been confirmed that Marcus Johansson is going to be the captain for Sweden? That's the last I'd heard, but is it official?

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Since Teubert was the only returnee to play in the last exhibition game, I'm guessing he's the captain. Eberle and Cormier should get the two A's.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
In Canada's official picture, the four players in the front row were (L to R) Eberle, Cormier, Pietrangelo and Tuebert. I think that means Cormier or Pietrangelo will be captain and the other three will wear A's. My bet is on Pietrangelo for the C.

Eberle didn't wear the C in his Subway Series game. Tuebert did in his.

I am intrigued that Kruger is wearing an "A" for Sweden. I understand he is having a great offensive season, but I had no idea about his leadership qualities. He was chosen over returnees such as MPS, Tedenby, Erixon, Rundblad, etc. His legend keeps growing.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
tough to call really. Teubert, Eberle, Ellis or Cormier would all be fine choices. I'm actually leaning towards Cormier as he seems to be the most vocal and big, strong defensive centers are always good captains.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Looking at the careers in the NHL most WJC captains have had, I'm not so sure it's an honor to be named Captain.

1995 Todd Harvey
1996 Nolan Baumgartner
1997 Brad Larsen
1998 Cory Sarich
1999 Mike Van Ryn
2000 Manny Malhotra
2001 Steve McCarthy
2002 Jarret Stoll
2003 Scottie Upshall
2004 Dan Paille
2005 Mike Richards
2006 Kyle Chipchura
2007 Kristopher Letang

Many have had excellent NHL careers, but in most of these cases, other players on the team have had better NHL careers.

Doesn't mean much, but I guess just food for thought.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
Looking at the careers in the NHL most WJC captains have had, I'm not so sure it's an honor to be named Captain.

1995 Todd Harvey
1996 Nolan Baumgartner
1997 Brad Larsen
1998 Cory Sarich
1999 Mike Van Ryn
2000 Manny Malhotra
2001 Steve McCarthy
2002 Jarret Stoll
2003 Scottie Upshall
2004 Dan Paille
2005 Mike Richards
2006 Kyle Chipchura
2007 Kristopher Letang

Many have had excellent NHL careers, but in most of these cases, other players on the team have had better NHL careers.

lol When I saw Chipchura fighting Shane O'Brien the other night that is what I immediately thought of and I felt bad for him. One night your a captain hero of the gold medal winning Canadian junior team, the next night you're in a meaningless fight against Shane O'Brien...poor guy.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

1995 Todd Harvey
1996 Nolan Baumgartner
1997 Brad Larsen
1998 Cory Sarich
1999 Mike Van Ryn
2000 Manny Malhotra
2001 Steve McCarthy
2002 Jarret Stoll
2003 Scottie Upshall
2004 Dan Paille
2005 Mike Richards
2006 Kyle Chipchura
2007 Kristopher Letang

The fact of the matter is, 19 year olds are always named Captain of this team. If your still in this tournament at the age of 19 as opposed to 16,17,18 its much less likely your going to be an NHL star. Perhaps the most successful player above is Mike Richards but he would have been in the NHL along with 8-9 other players on that team had it not been for the lockout.

Its still an honour...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad