2010 NHL Draft: Montreal Canadiens draft class short on NHL-caliber talent

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
brendan_gallagher_montreal_040215.jpg
Photo: Montreal Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher took his game to another level in 2014-15, scoring 24 goals and 47 points in 82 games (courtesy of Minas Panagiotakis/Icon Sportswire)

</p> The Montreal Canadiens traded away several positions in the 2010 draft. Of the five players selected, only Brendan Gallagher has managed to stick in the NHL. At this point, the draft class has to be considered a disappointment.

Entering the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in Los Angeles, the Canadiens were coming off their most successful season since they won the*Stanley Cup in 1993. Although they turned in a mediocre regular season performance, the Habs turned it on in the playoffs, upsetting the top-seeded Washington Capitals and defending champion Pittsburgh Penguins en route to the Eastern Conference Finals.… read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Montreal Canadiens draft class short on NHL-caliber talent appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
Timmins had his hands tied in 2010 with having no 2nd or 3rd round picks. But I seriously think Tinordi will be able to establish himself as a solid defender, I see him in the top 4 in a season or two. Gallagher, Tinordi and possibly MacMillan isn't that bad for a draft with only 1 pick in the rounds 1-3. Of course if we could have advanced a bit more and grab Tarasenko or pick Kuznetsov instead of Tinordi that would have been awesome.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
MacMillan probably won't be playing for Hamilton next year. I think he's a little too old for the OHL. :sarcasm:

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Timmins had his hands tied in 2010 with having no 2nd or 3rd round picks. But I seriously think Tinordi will be able to establish himself as a solid defender, I see him in the top 4 in a season or two. Gallagher, Tinordi and possibly MacMillan isn't that bad for a draft with only 1 pick in the rounds 1-3. Of course if we could have advanced a bit more and grab Tarasenko or pick Kuznetsov instead of Tinordi that would have been awesome.

Having a 2nd or 3rd round pick wouldn't have changed much TBH. There's still time for some of these guys to surprise us, but most of the good players were drafted before we spoke in 1st round, and whatever was left was either picked before where our 2nd rounder would have been or were picked in later rounds where we actually had the opportunity to get them but didn't. So apart from packaging all those picks to move up in the 1st round, there wasn't much to be done that year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tinordi has been a disappointment to date, Gallagher a surprise, overall decent draft for drafting 25th overall with no 2nd and 3rd round picks. If Tinordi matures it be good draft considering

willshockey*

The 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts were Brutal, and if you want to use another word, fine, I like Brutal..Also still waiting for Galchenyuk to be that 80 points a season player, Beaulieu to grab a top4 spot, Fucale, DeLa Rose, Lehokenen, Crisp, and others from our most recent drafts to start showing something real soon, since we all know how great a scouting director Trevor Timmins is.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
The 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts were Brutal, and if you want to use another word, fine, I like Brutal..Also still waiting for Galchenyuk to be that 80 points a season player, Beaulieu to grab a top4 spot, Fucale, DeLa Rose, Lehokenen, Crisp, and others from our most recent drafts to start showing something real soon, since we all know how great a scouting director Trevor Timmins is.

Considering only 5 players had more than 80 pts last season and only 9 were above 75 pts, I hope you're a patient guy cause you're in for a looooooooooooooong wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad