2010 NHL Draft: Late-round score saves draft for the Ottawa Senators

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
mark_stone_ottawa_040715.jpg
Photo: Mark Stone had 26 reasons to show off his trademark post-goal fist pump with the Ottawa Senators this season. (Courtesy of Steven Kingsman/Icon Sportswire)

</p>During Ottawa’s rollercoaster 2009-10 season, GM Brian Murray made a number of trades, starting with the blockbuster deal that sent miscreant Dany Heatley to the San Jose Sharks. As a result, the team entered the 2010 NHL Entry Draft with just five selections. Despite that, the Senators left Los Angeles with a late-round gem who would eventually break the team’s rookie scoring record.

Just before the Senators turn to pick in the first round came up, Bettman instead announced that the team had traded their 1st round pick to the St.read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Late-round score saves draft for the Ottawa Senators appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Wow. Lots of good info in there. Stone was a late round gem for sure!
This has been hashed out and asked many a time, but since it's rounding into the off season Id like to ask it again.
Trading the pick for Rundblad and ultimately getting Turrris with it. Hindsight being 20/20 would you prefer Turris or Tarasenko? (Who knows if the team would have picked him?)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wow. Lots of good info in there. Stone was a late round gem for sure!
This has been hashed out and asked many a time, but since it's rounding into the off season Id like to ask it again.
Trading the pick for Rundblad and ultimately getting Turrris with it. Hindsight being 20/20 would you prefer Turris or Tarasenko? (Who knows if the team would have picked him?)

Of course Tarasenko is the better player here. The thing is Murray would never have drafted Tarasenko and he was a major gamble since he had never played in NA before. The Blues took a calculated chance and they got paid off big time. If I look quickly at picks after, since we wouldn't have picked Tarasenko, I see guys like Bjugstad, Hishon, Watson, Bennett, Sheahan, Hayes who are probably guys we would've picked. From that group, there's only Bjugstad that I'd take before Turris, all the other guys (minus Hayes and Sheahan a little) have not shown much yet.

The trade was brilliant by Murray, atleast he got a good return for Runblad and realized soon enough that he wouldn't be the player we had hoped him to be. Turris came here and played awesome so we have to be happy with the result, it could've been much worse.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Tarasenko was only an option because 10 other teams passed on him. I think its silly that people always pick on the sens for this move

He was a top 10 if not top 5 talent in the draft and was projected to go number 6-10. I mean he should of been a no brainier choice from 10-16 but teams still passed on him for likely the same reason the sens did

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2010e.html

not signing Sorensen looks to be a stupid move though. I mean the sens drafted him and all he did was continue to play well but they didnt sign him and now hes a top SHL forward at a young age

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Tarasenko was only an option because 10 other teams passed on him. I think its silly that people always pick on the sens for this move

He was a top 10 if not top 5 talent in the draft and was projected to go number 6-10

He was only there because he was Russian, and Murray doesn't draft Russian's or rarely does. Every draft there's that Russian kid who's better than most picks before him and still doesn't get picked because teams are scared. This year it will be Guryanov. Top 15 pick, will maybe go in the first round. Last time Murray grabbed a Russian it didn't turn out so well so I don't blame him to go with safer bets, but of course the reward is less too.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He was only there because he was Russian, and Murray doesn't draft Russian's or rarely does. Every draft there's that Russian kid who's better than most picks before him and still doesn't get picked because teams are scared. This year it will be Guryanov. Top 15 pick, will maybe go in the first round. Last time Murray grabbed a Russian it didn't turn out so well so I don't blame him to go with safer bets, but of course the reward is less too.

Why do sens fans complain and not the fans of other teams that past on him? Sens did no different then seven-ten other teams. I mean its not Tarasenko was projected to be a mid first rounder and the sens were the only team who passed on him

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Like the other 10 teams who passed on him, the Sens weren't taking Tarasenko because of the Russian factor. They wanted Schwartz, who St.Louis took two picks before them.

Not counting goalies, judging by current success and potential Rundbland is probably in the bottom half of the remaining players who were drafted in the first round the draft year he was traded to Ottawa. So if you're judging purely on how good of a prospect Rundbland has panned out as, he wasn't a very good pick up for Ottawa. But the fact that his value rose in the short term, and they lucked into being able to flip him with an additional 2nd for Turris negates that.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yo don't bring up Sorensen, g. I was hugeee fan and I saw so much potential and just did not understand why we didnt qualify him even if he didnt amount to much later on he still had/has a lotta potential. Yes his development did stall but the reports and I used to always saw he was so raw but had remarkable hands. Things didnt go well for him in SHL first time around too but we gave up quick. Could be NHLer in a year or two when we were qualifying guys like Culek and what not, wtf. He's already 24 though so who knows, maybe not but raving reviews so far from the guys i have following his progress over in Sweden.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Stone alone makes this draft a success.

Is it a coincidence we stole the puck thief himself? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad