2010 NHL Draft: Jesper Fast salvages draft class for New York Rangers

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
jesper_fast_ny_rangers_040615.jpg
Photo: Jesper Fast has picked up his game in the playoffs, chipping in with six points (three goals, three assists) in 17 games for the New York Rangers. (Courtesy of David Hahn/Icon Sportswire)

</p>Were it not for the recent success of Jesper Fast, the 2010 NHL draft would have been a complete swing-and-miss for the New York Rangers. General Manager Glen Sather and Director of Player Personnel Gordie Clark oversaw the club’s activity at the draft, and an emphasis on size and strength played a prominent role.

That trend began early with Moose Jaw’s hulking 6’4, 212 pound defenseman Dylan McIlrath, who received the Warriors Most Improved Player Award after establishing career-highs in every major statistical category.… read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Jesper Fast salvages draft class for New York Rangers appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ugh. That draft reads like more like a mid-late 90s draft from the Boys in Blue.

Ironic enough, the two more intriguing forward prospects from the 2010 draft, aside from Fast, were guys that they didn't select and who were acquired afterwards - Hayes and Lindberg.

One thing I would like to point out from the article is my opinion of Tambellini. He's a kid who is a bit of a late bloomer and was the forward prospect I enjoyed watching the most this season for the Rangers. I'd keep a strong eye on him next season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But I thought that 1st we traded for Yandle was our whole future? You mean there's rounds after that?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
If you develop one player out of every draft you have done a good job.
Mcl still can be an NHL player. Just not the player they were hoping for.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But I thought that 1st we traded for Yandle was our whole future? You mean there's rounds after that?

I will say that the key for the Rangers is how they do with the picks they have this year.

We won't really know the full impact of not having a first rounder from 2013-2015 for another year or so.

But if they can do their homework and find players like Buchnevich, Tambellini and Halverson (and maybe have two our of three develop) they'll be able to mask it a bit better.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If you develop one player out of every draft you have done a good job.
Mcl still can be an NHL player. Just not the player they were hoping for.

I'd probably put the number at two.

If you get one, I'd say it's merely okay.

Two is good.

More than two is a homerun.

A grand slam is Montreal in 2007.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
what a disappointing draft 2010 was.

hate it today as much as i did back then.

the mcilrath pick continues to fester.

love jesper fast though.

so many good, impact players were there for the taking when we stepped up. i would have preferred any of fowler, tank and kuz over the underwhelming undertaker.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
what a disappointing draft 2010 was.

hate it today as much as i did back then.

the mcilrath pick continues to fester.

love jesper fast though.

so many good, impact players were there for the taking when we stepped up. i would have preferred any of fowler, tank and kuz over the underwhelming undertaker.

Rangers could pick Schwartz as well...

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
Thank BrassGod for Hayes! Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Schwartz and Tarasenko are the only first rounders that year I would take over him.

If the draft were re-done today, would Jesper be a first rounder?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Thank BrassGod for Hayes! Hall, Seguin, Johansen, Schwartz and Tarasenko are the only first rounders that year I would take over him.

If the draft were re-done today, would Jesper be a first rounder?

I don't know if he would got 1st round (probably would), but he sure as hell would go above McIlrath

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
I don't know if he would got 1st round (probably would), but he sure as hell would go above McIlrath

Agreed. In all of sports, is there one prospect who is in a worse position to make the big club than he is? I'd rather be a right fielder playing in the Nats farm system than be Dylan right now.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Agreed. In all of sports, is there one prospect who is in a worse position to make the big club than he is? I'd rather be a right fielder playing in the Nats farm system than be Dylan right now.

Skjei is in a tougher position, the guys ahead of him are better than the right side guys.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
This draft was all about getting big physical guys since we were soft as charmin that year. The problem with that is none of them had any skill, especially McNaught which was just LOL worth seeing as grinders can easily be signed after the draft. Fast was and still is a great pick though, makes up for all the other busts.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Fast reminds me of Loui Eriksson.

Aside from the whole Swedish connection, he's just an incredibly smart player. I really expect his offense to come along as well.

He'll never be as offensively talented as Loui, but I can see him hitting 40-50 points in his prime. Awesome for a guy drafted in the 6th round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad