2010 NHL Draft: Connolly and Gudas best among Tampa Bay Lightning draft class

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
brett_connolly_tampa_bay_010215.jpg
Photo: Brett Connolly, who was traded to the Bruins late in the season, had 17 points in 55 games this season. (Courtesy of Jeanine Leech/Icon Sportswire)

Despite an incredible offensive duo in budding superstar Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis, the Tampa Bay Lightning once again missed the post-season in the 2009-10 season. The pair combined for 189 points, but with a who’s who of aging veterans and a still-young Victor Hedman on the blue line, the Lightning finished fourth in the Southeast Division with a 34-36-12 record.​

Of course, goaltending—or a lack thereof—may have had something to do with it.… read more

The post 2010 NHL Draft: Connolly and Gudas best among Tampa Bay Lightning draft class appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
2010 draft class was a waste al murray did not get here till 2011. so i'm not shocked yzerman moved gudas and connolly.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not much left from that draft: Mullin and O'Donnell.

Connolly was traded to Boston for picks.
Beukeboom was traded to St. Louis for Eric Brewer.
Gudas was traded to Philadelphia for Braydon Coburn.
Janosik did not get an ELC, now plays for Kosice in Slovakia.
Schemitsch did not get an ELC, now plays for the Acadia University.
Zahn did not get an ELC, now plays for Colorado in the ECHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Question for you guys..

Are you guys happy Yzerman made that Coburn FOR Gudas, 2015 1st and 2015 3rd?... I have loved everything Yzerman has done since becoming GM but I think this deal was absolutely terrible. I am not trying to start trouble here because I love the Bolts, I am just very curious what huge TBay fans think.

Ive never really been a fan of Coburn but absolutely love the game Gudas plays. When I first read this trade at the deadline, I thought I didn't read it properly and have told Philly fans that he will become an instant fan favorite. And its not like the move was for any cap relief either since Coburn is making 4.5 million next year still and Gudas is making just under 1 million next year. Basically it seems like Philly fluked out big time getting that cap relief while still getting a high pick in return and another pretty high pick

Like I realize GM's like certain types of players that shoot a certain way but I just cant wrap my head around that there was that 1st round pick involved. It seems like that package of Gudas, 1st, 3rd could have fetched a way better player. Especially since he is only 24 years old and has an unreal contract and plays a game that all teams would want

What is everyone's elses thoughts? I am very curious

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Gudas was a fan favorite here and for a good reason. I just never thought he was a great defenseman. At least when he was here. He played the physical game very well but wasn't too mobile. In other words he could be a matchup nightmare for other teams speedy skilled lines. But I did like him and was sad to see him go. Coburn has been pretty good since he's been here. He's an upgrade over Gudas.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gudas was a fan favorite here and for a good reason. I just never thought he was a great defenseman. At least when he was here. He played the physical game very well but wasn't too mobile. In other words he could be a matchup nightmare for other teams speedy skilled lines. But I did like him and was sad to see him go. Coburn has been pretty good since he's been here. He's an upgrade over Gudas.

Ya I just find it odd. Gudas is young with only 120 some odd NHL games only under his belt. So he is still learning and I think he will become real valuable in another year or 2. Oh well, teams gotta give up to get and obviously Yzerman thought that Coburn was a main piece to acquire in order to win the Cup.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Ya I just find it odd. Gudas is young with only 120 some odd NHL games only under his belt. So he is still learning and I think he will become real valuable in another year or 2. Oh well, teams gotta give up to get and obviously Yzerman thought that Coburn was a main piece to acquire in order to win the Cup.

The dumb part about viewing the Gudas for Coburn trade is people ignore the draft picks recovered in the Connolly trade to Boston. Yzerman doesn't do the trade to Philly without the Connolly trade. He stated that he viewed it all as the same deal.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The dumb part about viewing the Gudas for Coburn trade is people ignore the draft picks recovered in the Connolly trade to Boston. Yzerman doesn't do the trade to Philly without the Connolly trade. He stated that he viewed it all as the same deal.

oh ya I agree that it was good getting a couple 2nds in that Connolly deal... Even though Connolly is a former real high pick, it was fair for both teams

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I was ok with the Gudas trade. He was good as a #6 (better than Sustr) and was a great physical presence that could spark the whole team. But with those being his best attributes it made him expendible even if it sucked losing him.

I'll miss having Gudas around but Coburn has been a great addition. We needed a guy who played a safe, boring (but still physical) game and we got him. Is anyone here comfortable with the idea of Carle or Sustr playing a BIGGER role on defense? Carle has turned into the whipping boy because the rest of the team around him plays better and Matt brings it on himself. But CAN be trusted at times. Every time Sustr hits the ice he either gets out-muscled, takes a penalty, turns the puck over or concedes a goal while being out of position. If #62 is still on the team next year I'm gonna be furious.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Meh... Connolly wasn't gonna do a thing for us. I'm glad we traded him when we did. We should be able to package those 2nds into another 1st rounder.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Coburn can skate and is much better defensively than Gudas. I'll miss the big hits, but Radko will be even slower after knee injury. I wouldn't be surprised if he can no longer hack it in the NHL when he comes back. If he does though Flyers fans will love his aggressiveness and personality.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Question for you guys..

Are you guys happy Yzerman made that Coburn FOR Gudas, 2015 1st and 2015 3rd?... I have loved everything Yzerman has done since becoming GM but I think this deal was absolutely terrible. I am not trying to start trouble here because I love the Bolts, I am just very curious what huge TBay fans think.

Honestly, I think the Coburn trade was great. It was a high value deal, but it brought in the player we needed. Gudas hadn't looked right in a while, not even counting the big injury he had. I dont think he was going to be a long term player for us. He was injury prone and was already missing a lot of time from his first 2 seasons. I also prefer Coburns style of play. Its just consistent.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

Also that Coburn isn't a rental. He's got another year on his contract.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I was ok with the Gudas trade. He was good as a #6 (better than Sustr) and was a great physical presence that could spark the whole team. But with those being his best attributes it made him expendible even if it sucked losing him.

I'll miss having Gudas around but Coburn has been a great addition. We needed a guy who played a safe, boring (but still physical) game and we got him. Is anyone here comfortable with the idea of Carle or Sustr playing a BIGGER role on defense? Carle has turned into the whipping boy because the rest of the team around him plays better and Matt brings it on himself. But CAN be trusted at times. Every time Sustr hits the ice he either gets out-muscled, takes a penalty, turns the puck over or concedes a goal while being out of position. If #62 is still on the team next year I'm gonna be furious.

Gudas was marginally better then Sustr at best. He is more physical with a big shot but got burned way too often. He blew out his knee so what little speed he had might be even worse now. Sustr-Carle has been bad at times this postseason but not even close to the dumpster fire Gudas-Carle was last year.

Might want to start getting furious because #62 will be back next year. He hasn't been getting outmuscled as much in the postseason, his positioning is fine Bishop just gets beat with long range shots when Sustr is out there, the penalties have been an issue but he's not turning it over that much.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Meh... Connolly wasn't gonna do a thing for us. I'm glad we traded him when we did. We should be able to package those 2nds into another 1st rounder.

He was on pace for a 20 goal season, was going to have the most goals of anyone in the bottom 6. We could use more offense from the bottom 6 in the playoffs and another physical presence. With how bad the bottom 6 has been he could've been huge right now. Don't see how two mid 2nd's will get us a 1st but I'll wait and see.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I only knew Coburn by reputation never really truly paid attention to him...but he is solid back there. Much more than I had thought when I first heard about the trade. I'm on the same boat as some of the posters here.

1. Gudas blew out his knee and wasn't fast to begin with so its a risk. And he has proved to be injury prone...even going back to his AHL days. Its the style he plays.

2. Gudas was a fan favorite and he was/is a favorite of mine. He brought something the fan base thought we needed ... toughness/physicality for playoff run. I don't think the team needs more physicality...but I think it does need a bit more of that in your face don't mess with my teammates style. It is fun to watch and root for.

3. We needed to solidify the top 4 and it was done in spades by bringing Coburn here for the playoff run. I think this might have been the best acquisition by any team at the trade deadline.

4. We squeezed the most we could get out of a Connolly deal to a desperate Bruins team fighting for their playoff lives. Was the right time to move him...should we have moved him is a different conversation.

5. Hit on Upshall at the blueline, Hit on Teemu Selanne, throwing Parros over the boards, fights with Iginla...these are the things I remember about Guuudaaaaas!!!

Overall happy with the trade. Gudas is awesome...wish him luck and love the way he plays. Will be sad to see him in a Flyers uniform when he comes back to town.

Fear the Beard!!

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I loved Gudas to death but he was already as good as he was going to get PLUS he started to show what to expect from him in the future(injuries due to his play style). Tacking a plus onto him for a clear upgrade? Definitely ok with that move. Would I have preferred we move a different defender(Carle, Barberio)? Also a definitely.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I loved Gudas but Coburn is a perfect fit. Really an ideal #4 you can pair with an offensive guy and get shutdown defense. Gudas was a liability last postseason

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The deal was well worth it. To echo everyone else, I love Gudas. But there were serious concerns about his skating, and knee injuries don't help that. Coburn solidified our defense. Our Top 4 is pretty formidable now. We had picks to spare and I think we spent them wisely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad