News Article: 2009 redraft

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Huge Kadri fan but in no way is he better than Duchene or ROR.
I'd have him at 6 though...which then may be debatable.

Even still, I'm glad he's a Leaf. Underrated by non Leaf fans, he's a perfect #2 C for us. OEL is the real deal...but he doesn't knock Tavares off #1. These articles never please everyone, but this isn't the worst one I've seen.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Huge Kadri fan but in no way is he better than Duchene or ROR.
I'd have him at 6 though...which then may be debatable.

Even still, I'm glad he's a Leaf. Underrated by non Leaf fans, he's a perfect #2 C for us. OEL is the real deal...but he doesn't knock Tavares off #1. These articles never please everyone, but this isn't the worst one I've seen.

At this point, there's a few late bloomers that could push Kadri down a peg as well. Author mentioned the Nashville duo for example.

I'd probably take both OEL and Hedman over Tavares. Top 5, all situations #1 D-men before the scoring center that struggles in match up situations. Quite clear top trio though.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
I think Kadri was picked exactly where he should have been. One of the rare times that actual performance and actual pick value line up seemlessly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hey, who cares about the draft slot now. I don't. I am kind of interested more in how his next 5 years go on better looking team. His next 5 years will define his career really.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Kadri does have the same upside as the top dogs at forward from that draft outside of Tavares. Johnny T has an extra gear. With the right combination of PP time/linemates/zone starts etc. I definitely think Kadri could produce quite a bit more. I'm not sure those things will ever lineup for him, but he has the ability.

He's a very good selection at #7.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I'm sure some of you have read this but I stumbled across it and thought it was a rare article that gives Kadri some well deserved props.

Maybe Kadri isn't crazy when comparing himself to Tavares... :dunno:
http://thehockeywriters.com/hindsight-is-2020-the-2009-nhl-entry-draft-re-done/

Been saying this for a while: Kadri plays with scrubs. 45 points with Grabner as your winger?
Look for Kadri to have a breakout year .. this year or next.

He will either get better wingers, or will benefit by the opposition paying attention to Matthews/Marner/Nylander. 60 points coming.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
At this point, there's a few late bloomers that could push Kadri down a peg as well. Author mentioned the Nashville duo for example.

I'd probably take both OEL and Hedman over Tavares. Top 5, all situations #1 D-men before the scoring center that struggles in match up situations. Quite clear top trio though.

I think there is an argument there on who is the best player, where there would not have been a few years ago. I think this would be a draft where you could go with need, as you get either a #1 center or a big #1 defenceman. Ekman-Larsson is a great player, but Hedman has really come along past couple of years and I would have him as my #1 from this draft, but could also see why others may pick Tavares or OEL.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Been saying this for a while: Kadri plays with scrubs. 45 points with Grabner as your winger?

He will either get better wingers, or will benefit by the opposition paying attention to Matthews/Marner/Nylander. 60 points coming.

I agree. All the attention at camp this year will be on Matthews, Nylander and whether or not Marner sticks around. Reilly will gain some attention also. Kadri seens pretty much forgotten man at the moment, so I'm expecting him to have his best year as a Leaf. Babcock has mentioned Nylander playing with Matthews, but I would actually like to see Nylander on Kadri's wing.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I agree. All the attention at camp this year will be on Matthews, Nylander and whether or not Marner sticks around. Reilly will gain some attention also. Kadri seens pretty much forgotten man at the moment, so I'm expecting him to have his best year as a Leaf. Babcock has mentioned Nylander playing with Matthews, but I would actually like to see Nylander on Kadri's wing.

For sure they will all play with Kadri on the PP quite a bit ... so I am pretty sure Kadri gets a nice boost.
I hear its nice to be on a PP with the #1 overall draft pick.
And Nylander is a beast.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Obviously not a great article. But I am looking forward to Kadri getting some better wingers this year and seeing how he does.
I wonder if Marner gets time with him?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
OEL AND Hedman over Tavares...there goes your credibility...

1. Tavares
2. Hedman
3. OEL
4. Duchene
5. RoR
6. Vatanen
7. Barrie
8. Kadri
9. Schenn
10. Tatar

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

That depends on the number of games his misses due to suspensions.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey, who cares about the draft slot now. I don't. I am kind of interested more in how his next 5 years go on better looking team. His next 5 years will define his career really.

I agree. He's had some bad luck as far as when his development growth should've been, in line with our rebuild. If he had equal linemates and a better top line he'd look a fair bit better. But I still have him behind 4th.

Tavares, Hedman, OEL, Duchene, ROR, Kadri/Ekholm/Schenn

I think under ideal circumstances players of similar value could look better. It's why Ekholm looks good against Kadri. It's easy when Weber is taking the harder minutes and Kadri has no buffer.

I hope we grow with these lines:

JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Marner - Kadri - Komarov

A top line of near flawless 2way play that plays against other top lines and 2nd line that gets cherry picked offensive situations and premium PP opportunities. Could be very similar to what happens in Chicago.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
What a terrible, terrible piece.

First of all, JT is the best player here bar none. OEL is #2 sure.

Kadri is NOT better than Duchene or ROR. Ridiculous.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Huge Kadri fan.

This article is nonsense, even given that it was written over a year ago.

No way I'm picking Kadri over Tavarez or Duchene.

No way I'm picing Kadri over Ryan O'Rielly either.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Tavares third and Kadri over Duchene, pretty atrocious list to say the least.

OEL AND Hedman over Tavares...there goes your credibility...

1. Tavares
2. Hedman
3. OEL
4. Duchene
5. RoR
6. Vatanen
7. Barrie
8. Kadri
9. Schenn
10. Tatar

I like this one, but I would switch Barrie and Vatanen and switch Kadri and Schenn. I think Leddy and Kreider should both be in the top 10, and possibly Palmieri. Kadri is right on the edge of the top 10, in the 9-12 range.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think what we can take from this is that the guy we drafted at #7 and developed is at least as good as his draft position and all in all, that's pretty great.
I would have him in the 6/7 spot and am expecting a big year out of him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What's good is Kadri is about the 4-5th. best forward on the team, and he's a fine middle 6 player.

From his draft he was picked about the correct spot, unfortunately, he doesn't compete against only his draft class he competes against all draft classes so the redraft, while interesting, has no bearing on his value in the NHL.

GLOO

Jul 8, 2010
"Yes you are hearing me correctly: With some high-quality wingers, better zone starts and a featured role on the power-play, Kadri could challenge for the Art Ross Trophy."

I am one of the biggest Kadri supporters, even I have to laugh at this.

he was given Kessel and JVR a couple of times and the results were horrible still. Why do you think Bozak was shoved back in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad