2007 NHL Entry Draft expands to two days

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Good. Most people probably don't care about anything after the first.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Wonder how this will effect draft day parties for teams, if at all. I know that this year the Sabres made a big deal out of it this year...

WGR said:
The Buffalo Sabres will again host fans at the HSBC Arena on Saturday, June 24 from 5:30 - 9 p.m. The event is free, and open to fans of all ages.

There will be food and drink, free parking, and appearances from current Sabres players, Sabres Alumni and Sabretooth. Kids will also have the opportunity to experience several interactive games, and play street hockey on the floor of HSBC Arena.

Sabres ticket sales representatives will be on hand for Select-A-Seat, giving fans an up-close look at available season ticket locations for the upcoming season.

http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=1659

I just googled 5 teams and they all had draft parties as well. Getting it on TV is awesome but I can't help but think there will be some negatives as well. Sure the 2nd round is a Saturday but starting at 10am, and the players being drafted are players that most fans won't have heard of, I think the draft day parties will take quite a hit, when they seem to be a good way to wrap up a successful season, or promote a fresh start for teams that didn't do so well.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'll say it again. The NHL needs to get all the draft on tv like the NFL and NBA do. I know the ratings would be huge, but I would think they could at least equal the Bull riding reruns that normally would be on.

But hey, we can feel superior to the MLB which doesn't even televise it's draft.:D

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I'll say it again. The NHL needs to get all the draft on tv like the NFL and NBA do. I know the ratings would be huge, but I would think they could at least equal the Bull riding reruns that normally would be on.

But hey, we can feel superior to the MLB which doesn't even televise it's draft.:D

Isn't MLB's something still like 50 rounds and done via a conference call among the teams? I think we should feel superior for the mere fact our teams all get together in one place to hold the draft, let alone the TV aspect.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Stay tuned...

Perhaps the league hasn't made all of its announcements regarding the draft and television coverage.......

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Free streaming coverage of the entire draft as well as an 'inside' look into preperation of the draft by scouting staffs as well as trade chatter and a preview of the upcoming list of free agents would be nice to have featured on NHL.com.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I believe the draft was held over one day for most of its history, even when it was 11 and 12 rounds. (Except for that one conference call draft in the mid 70s which took several days). The first two-day draft that I can remember is 1994 in Hartford, when they had to work around a PGA stop in the city at the same time.

Can't remember when it went to two days, but it was held over two days for quite a few years. Last year was, of course, a one-day draft.

The last thing we need is the entire draft on TV. It's pointless. I could understand expanding coverage into the second round, but after that, nobody's heard of anyone being drafted. The networks wouldn't pick it up. How do you sell advertising for the fifth round of the draft?

The NBA Draft is only two rounds. That's pretty damn easy to televise. A classic apples vs. oranges argument.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
I find it strange that they only show the first round of the draft even in Canada. I would love to see the entire draft televised I dont why TSN shows the first round they should show all of them.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
I find it strange that they only show the first round of the draft even in Canada. I would love to see the entire draft televised I dont why TSN shows the first round they should show all of them.

why? i doubt there are more than 100 canadians who know anyone being picked after the 2nd round. Its pretty much chance at that point.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada

Atleast have the NHL network show the entire draft

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Atleast have the NHL network show the entire draft

NHL Network is about to start promoting they will be broadcasting day 2. The league made an error not announcing this when the draft schedule was announced last week. (or so I've been led to believe).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad