2006/07 Player Knowledge

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Hey,

I'm working on creating the 2006-07 OHL season for a sports simulation board game. What I'm seeking is player knowledge - specifically defensive abilities - for any and all skaters who participated in the 2006-07 season. Each player is rated on five abilities (skating, passing, shot, check, defense) and we have formulas in place to determine player's skate, pass, shot, and check ratings based off their statistics. However, things become tricky when it comes to determining CHL skater's defensive abilities.

For our NHL sets, the game designer uses defensive point shares to determine player's defense ratings. These are not available for OHL players.

I have limited knowledge myself on these players - I'm very familiar with the Belleville Bulls, as I attended most of their home games that year, so I can attest to the defensive abilities for the player's on the Bulls. Any NHLer I'm also familiar with, and anybody who was drafted into the NHL, I at least have a scouting report to go by. But for most of the league, I'm not sure. Now, I could literally research every player on this forum, and probably dig deep to find information on a lot of these players, but that's overboard and too time-consuming.

I figured it would be easiest to have the knowledge come to me, if anybody who watched the OHL back then happens to remember defensive abilities for any player. I figure I can catch some season ticket holders who can provide valuable insight .

Anyway, the set will be available for purchase once it's completed. You'd be able to replay a season with a team, or a playoff replay. It's pretty cheap too, the game is called Ice Nutz. The game is accurate, and there have been a few rule modifications recently that have improved the game's statistical accuracy even more.

All-in-all, any insight whatsoever on any player's defensive game for that season would be great. Anything from they sucked, to they were great 2-way players. I get it's an odd request/longshot. I've been combining a bunch of stats - referring to +/-, overall quality of the player, SHP, etc to determine these defensive ratings so far. Honestly, I'm sure most of my ratings are not a far off representation of that player's defensive ability, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
You can see those stats (2006-07) for yourself. Go to
www.ontariohockeyleague.com
Then click on "player stats", then you'll have to change the year. Scroll down until you see "2006-07 regular season".

Like mentioned, I've already been using their 2006-07 stats to create skate, pass, shot, and check ratings.

I'm not looking for statistics, I'm looking for insight on their defensive abilities, from people who have seen the players play.

It's quite a longshot since it's been 12 years, and I don't really expect anything, but I thought it was worth a try!

Last edited:
Reactions: nelli27

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
If I remember tomorrow, I'll post what I can for Windsor. Once I look at their roster, I'm sure I can remember general abilities for most players.
Nice, that would be awesome. Lol, Windsor sucked that year. If you forget, I'll just PM you at some point. I'm in no real rush.

Reactions: OHLTG

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Like mentioned, I've already been using their 2006-07 stats to create skate, pass, shot, and check ratings.

I'm not looking for statistics, I'm looking for insight on their defensive abilities, from people who have seen the players play.

It's quite a longshot since it's been 12 years, and I don't really expect anything, but I thought it was worth a try!
The Petes team that year had a lot of nightmares defensively. Top of my head

Very Good defensive players - Ryder (recognized in coaches poll as defensive forward), Bogosian (elite in OHL terms even as a rookie), Raftis (OA season, very smart), Armstrong (two way guy was his calling card)

Above average - Caruana, Kulda, Walchessen/Theberge (the last two ended up very good defensive forwards, 06-07 was rookie year for both though so maybe not at their defensive best this year)

Average - Downie, Soryal, Harnden (Harnden two way guy, Soryal big presence, Downie didn't ever back check but the puck also rarely left the offensive zone when he was on the ice, so...)

Not great- Rehus, Rizzi, Taylor, Daley, Bastien, Krolouski, Lock, Brand, Cescon, McDonogh

Reactions: Nedved Petr

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
The Petes team that year had a lot of nightmares defensively. Top of my head

Very Good defensive players - Ryder (recognized in coaches poll as defensive forward), Bogosian (elite in OHL terms even as a rookie), Raftis (OA season, very smart), Armstrong (two way guy was his calling card)

Above average - Caruana, Kulda, Walchessen/Theberge (the last two ended up very good defensive forwards, 06-07 was rookie year for both though so maybe not at their defensive best this year)

Average - Downie, Soryal, Harnden (Harnden two way guy, Soryal big presence, Downie didn't ever back check but the puck also rarely left the offensive zone when he was on the ice, so...)

Not great- Rehus, Rizzi, Taylor, Daley, Bastien, Krolouski, Lock, Brand, Cescon, McDonogh
This is super, thanks!!!

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
This is a longshot, but does anybody happen to know where faceoffs took place after penalties in the 06-07 season? After a penalty, I'm wondering if the faceoff took place in the neutral zone, or the SH team's defensive end.

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
I was able to hunt this down, a rule change from 2008:
Rule #76.2 – Face-Offs
When players are penalized at a stoppage of play so as to result in penalties being placed on the penalty time clock to one team, the ensuing face-off shall be conducted at one of the two face-off spots in the offending team’s end zone. There are only four exceptions to this application:
(i) when a penalty is assessed after the scoring of a goal (face-off at center ice)
(ii) when a penalty is assessed at the end (or start) of a period – face-off at center ice
(iii) when the defending team is about to be penalized and the attacking players enter the attacking zone beyond the outer edge of the end zone face-off circle – face-off in the neutral zone (see paragraph 11 of this section)
(iv) when the team not being penalized ices the puck – face-off in the neutral zone outside the blue line of the team icing the puck

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Sudbury was in the final that year. Several people on our board could probably assist with Wolves players that year as it was our most memorable of all time years or so. I'll link this there

I unfortunately didnt really get into Jr. hockey to that magnitude until about 5 years ago.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Been a fan of Owen Sound for the past 25 years and from what I can tell you about Owen Sound is very limited going back that far for player statistics.

The only thing that comes to mind is during that time of the Attack years that it was part of transitional stage where top guys were moved from OS to other cities and the team was in the early stages of a management transition process that would put the team where you see it now.

And in all fairness to those players who were on that team at the time it was there were more questions that were left unanswered then there was reasons durning that season.

Unfortunately the team in OS as you see them now was more of a product of dismantling back in the 2007/08 season and seeing the top end talent from 2006/07 season stumbles and in-turn helped the team move forward with their careers and in different aspects and places to help achieve competitive success today.

As for a play by player analyst on what the team looked like the stats for that season paint a very interesting picture for the information you're looking for.

Hopefully that helps you in some way as it was so long ago my memory is fuzzy beyond the team following up the next season with a massive rebuild of their depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad