2005 Top 25 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
This is what i think the 2005 Top 25 prospects will look like.

1. Kari Lehtonen - The best goalie prospect out there, although M.A Fleury cuts it close. Kari should play a large role for the Atlanta Thrashers, maybe even more so then Kovalchuk or Heatley. If the Thrashers are to have success they are going to need solid goaltending and thats where Lehtonen will come in.

2. Alexander Ovechkin - Yes probably many of you though i would have him listed as the #1 prospect but he is just slightly below lehtonen. Ovechkin is the best forward prospect in the NHL system right now and should have a great career as he is touted as the best Russian prospect born, as well as the best prospect since Mario Lemieux.

3. Dion Phaneuf - During the 2003 draft it looked like Phaneuf would be the 3rd best dman to be taken from the draft and he was, getting drafted after Suter and Coburn, but right now Phaneuf has turned things around and has been the best dman out of the draft. He is improving a great deal adding 13 more points than his previous year while playing 9 less games. He also had a tremendous performance at the WJC.

4. Evgeni Malkin - The obvious 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft, this young Russian has got scouts questioning whether he was better than Ovechkin, but truth be told no matter how much room he gained on Ovechkin there was just no way he would be drafted 1st overall.

5. Marc Andre Fleury - The 2003 1st pick overall has been pretty great for the Pittsburgh Penguins, as he was given the chance to play in the NHL as an 18 year old. He started off great but finish rather weak, but you can't blame him for that since he was 18 years old and playing for the worst team in the NHL. As he went back to the OMJHL, he posted his some great numbers and will no doubt be a franchise goaltender.

6. Thomas Vanek - This kid is a pure goal scorer, he will most likely get all the chances in the world next season to crack the Buffalo lineup. He had a rather off year this year playing 7 less games and scoring 11 less points, but this Jason Allison type player seems to me as potential "Rocket Richard" winner.

7. Ryan Suter

8. Braydon Coburn

9. Cam Barker

10. Zach Parise

11. Ryan Miller

12. Milan Michalek

13. Jeff Carter

14. Andrei Kasititsyn

15. Igor Grigorenko

16. Andrew Ladd

17. Fedor Tjutin

18. Denis Grebeshkov

19. Anthony Stewart

20. Mark Stuart

21. Alvaro Montoya

22. Dustin Brown

23. Ryan Getzlaf

24. Ryan Whitney

25. Robbie Schremp

So Any thoughts on my list??

velimiiro

#2 said:
This is what i think the 2005 Top 25 prospects will look like.

1. Kari Lehtonen - The best goalie prospect out there, although M.A Fleury cuts it close. Kari should play a large role for the Atlanta Thrashers, maybe even more so then Kovalchuk or Heatley. If the Thrashers are to have success they are going to need solid goaltending and thats where Lehtonen will come in.

2. Alexander Ovechkin - Yes probably many of you though i would have him listed as the #1 prospect but he is just slightly below lehtonen. Ovechkin is the best forward prospect in the NHL system right now and should have a great career as he is touted as the best Russian prospect born, as well as the best prospect since Mario Lemieux.

3. Dion Phaneuf - During the 2003 draft it looked like Phaneuf would be the 3rd best dman to be taken from the draft and he was, getting drafted after Suter and Coburn, but right now Phaneuf has turned things around and has been the best dman out of the draft. He is improving a great deal adding 13 more points than his previous year while playing 9 less games. He also had a tremendous performance at the WJC.

4. Evgeni Malkin - The obvious 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft, this young Russian has got scouts questioning whether he was better than Ovechkin, but truth be told no matter how much room he gained on Ovechkin there was just no way he would be drafted 1st overall.

5. Marc Andre Fleury - The 2003 1st pick overall has been pretty great for the Pittsburgh Penguins, as he was given the chance to play in the NHL as an 18 year old. He started off great but finish rather weak, but you can't blame him for that since he was 18 years old and playing for the worst team in the NHL. As he went back to the OMJHL, he posted his some great numbers and will no doubt be a franchise goaltender.

6. Thomas Vanek - This kid is a pure goal scorer, he will most likely get all the chances in the world next season to crack the Buffalo lineup. He had a rather off year this year playing 7 less games and scoring 11 less points, but this Jason Allison type player seems to me as potential "Rocket Richard" winner.

7. Ryan Suter

8. Braydon Coburn

9. Cam Barker

10. Zach Parise

11. Ryan Miller

12. Milan Michalek

13. Jeff Carter

14. Andrei Kasititsyn

15. Igor Grigorenko

16. Andrew Ladd

17. Fedor Tjutin

18. Denis Grebeshkov

19. Anthony Stewart

20. Mark Stuart

21. Alvaro Montoya

22. Dustin Brown

23. Ryan Getzlaf

24. Ryan Whitney

25. Robbie Schremp

So Any thoughts on my list??

Marc Andre Fleury > Kari Lehtonen...... Watch and see.

I do not agree with Phaneuf at #3 either!

TomahawkSniper

Aug 19, 2004
Vancouver
Here's mine:
1. Kari Lehtonen
2. Alexander Ovechkin
3. Marc-Andre Fleury
4. Evgeney Malkin
5. Dion Phaneuf
6. Thomas Vanek
7. Ryan Suter
8. Cam Barker
9. Braydon Coburn
10. Ryan Miller
11. Zach Parise
12. Milan Michalek
13. Andrei Kostitsyn
14. Igor Grigorenko
15. Andrew Ladd
16. Denis Grebeshkov
17. Jeff Carter
18. Alvaro Montoya
19. Fedor Tjutin
20. Ryan Getzlaf
21. Dustin Brown
22. Anthony Stewart
23. Robbie Schremp
24. Mark Stuart
25. Ryan Kesler

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
velimiiro said:
Marc Andre Fleury > Kari Lehtonen...... Watch and see.

I do not agree with Phaneuf at #3 either!

Why dont you agree with Phaneuf at #3? Is because he is ahead 2 pens prospects?

And Lehtonen will be better tham MAF. I dont think youd get much of an argument here.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Why dont you agree with Phaneuf at #3? Is because he is ahead 2 pens prospects?

And Lehtonen will be better tham MAF. I dont think youd get much of an argument here.

Yup, Phaneuf is a can't miss prospect, he will play either in the NHL full time next season or play in the AHL and be a call up for Calgary.

Also Yes Lehtonen will be better M.A Fleruy, hes developed really great in AHL, he posted a .926 sv% in the AHL and in 4 games in the NHL he won 4 games, 1 Shutout, 1.25 GAA and .953 sv%. The kid is unbelievable.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
IMO, Malkin, Vanek, Coburn, Barker, Ladd, Montoya, and Whitney are too high. Although I've only seen Malkin play twice, I think it's too high, but I still think the people that say Malkin will be better then AO are nuts, I just don't see it, although 2 games is not much to go off of.

Vanek I liked in the USHL, but as good as his shot is, he reminds me way too much of Marcel Hossa. There's no chance in hell, I'd have him that high, although when he wants to score he makes it look easy.

The 3 WHL guys I also haven't seen that much since I'm on the east coast, but I think they are a little high, as I'm not a big fan of Coburn's game, although he's got impressive size/skating I'll wait till I see what he does this year. Barker I got a bad impression from the memorial cup, as I guess I expected more, although I still think he's going to be a good one, I feel A J Thelen could end up being the top defensemen from the '04 draft. Ladd I'd like to see him have another good season, as one big season during their draft year makes me skeptical.

Montoya and Whitney I have seen a bunch of times, and while both highly skilled, I feel both are overrated. Montoya was impressive at the wjc's, but at Michigan I was overly impressed and was surprised to see him go so high in the draft. Whitney reminds me too much of Ron Hainsey, in that he's not physical in front of the net, doesn't seem very solid in his own end either, but does have a nice shot and can move the puck well.

I'm not saying any of these prospects are bad prospects, just I'd have them a little lower, but it's easier to pick on a list then make one.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
I am assuming most people believe Mark Stuart is leaving college this year. I hope your right. I really think one of Andy Hilbert or Brad Boyes will make a big impact for the bruins. Not sure yet which one though

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
#2 said:
Yup, Phaneuf is a can't miss prospect, he will play either in the NHL full time next season or play in the AHL and be a call up for Calgary.

Also Yes Lehtonen will be better M.A Fleruy, hes developed really great in AHL, he posted a .926 sv% in the AHL and in 4 games in the NHL he won 4 games, 1 Shutout, 1.25 GAA and .953 sv%. The kid is unbelievable.

If the NHL season starts I highly doubt Phaneuf will get cut by the Flames, but even if he did he isn't eligible to play in the AHL this season anyway.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
#2 said:

Allison is a very bad comparision for Vanek. Vanek does not possess the hockey sense or strength along the boards that makes a healthy Allison an assist machine. Vanek does have awesome patience with the puck one-on-one with a goaltender, I think a better comparision would be a less-skilled version of Dany Heatley, having seen both when they played NCAA hockey.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Heh....at 19 and 20 years of age people are already assuring themselves that one will be better than the other. Look at their ages. neither of them are old enough to legally drink in the US. They both would still be underclassmen in college. You are talking about one being assuredly better than the other? I wouldn't assure anything. I am not ready to assure that one day MAF will be a great starter and that Malkin will be a top center. If we were judging by Fleury's first month, I'd have quite an argument saying that Fleury would be better than Lehtonen. But so many things can happen to a prospect. It's completely out of line to ASSURE one will be better than the other.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:

This is a rather absurd comment, especially how you act like it's a commonly known fact. Both goalies are ridiculously talented.

This is like saying Pat Falloon will definitely be better than Forsberg, Naslund, Kovalev, etc after the '91 draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
WVpens said:
This is a rather absurd comment, especially how you act like it's a commonly known fact. Both goalies are ridiculously talented.

This is like saying Pat Falloon will definitely be better than Forsberg, Naslund, Kovalev, etc after the '91 draft.

It was just my opinion. Plus if you took a poll i bet people would agree with me, but you are intitled to your opinion. I just think MAF is overrated.

db23

If Malkin had been healthy all year, I think there was a good chance he would have been drafted ahead of Ovechkin. He had a severe concussion mid season and still scored at nearly the same rate as Ovechkin in the RSL. He is 10 months younger and will be about 3 inches taller than Ovechkin. He is already a better two way player and a better leader.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
db23 said:
If Malkin had been healthy all year, I think there was a good chance he would have been drafted ahead of Ovechkin. He had a severe concussion mid season and still scored at nearly the same rate as Ovechkin in the RSL. He is 10 months younger and will be about 3 inches taller than Ovechkin. He is already a better two way player and a better leader.

I gotta disagree, if malkin played the full season i can say that he could have been better then Ovechkin, but no matter what Ovechkin was going first.
An example of this could be like
if Guillaume Latendresse(also plays in the QMJHL) scores 200+ pts and Crosby only scores like 100 pts, there is still no way Guillaume will knabb that first spot away from Crosby

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
#2 said:
I gotta disagree, if malkin played the full season i can say that he could have been better then Ovechkin, but no matter what Ovechkin was going first.
An example of this could be like
if Guillaume Latendresse(also plays in the QMJHL) scores 200+ pts and Crosby only scores like 100 pts, there is still no way Guillaume will knabb that first spot away from Crosby

If that happened (assuming we arn't talking about some dumb scenario like Crosby scores 100 points in 40 games and then gets injured), I would bet a million dollars that Latendresse would go first overall. And if Malkin played a full year and outscored Ovechkin 2 to 1, he'd probably have gone first as well.

Saprykin Fan

Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
hey

Newfie Bruin said:
I am assuming most people believe Mark Stuart is leaving college this year. I hope your right. I really think one of Andy Hilbert or Brad Boyes will make a big impact for the bruins. Not sure yet which one though

newfie bruin, he is not this coming year but the year after he is as good as gone ;) my bro plays on his team.

thrashers=cup05

May 27, 2004
Pens4ever said:
If we were judging by Fleury's first month, I'd have quite an argument saying that Fleury would be better than Lehtonen. But so many things can happen to a prospect. QUOTE]

Well lets see MAF played alot of games lehtonen only played 4 but lehtonen was steller in those 4 games where as MAF looked out of place at times. MAF still needs to spend at least one more year in juniors and a year in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad