2005 Top 25 Prospects

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by #2, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users

#2 Registered User

Home Page:
    This is what i think the 2005 Top 25 prospects will look like.

1. Kari Lehtonen - The best goalie prospect out there, although M.A Fleury cuts it close. Kari should play a large role for the Atlanta Thrashers, maybe even more so then Kovalchuk or Heatley. If the Thrashers are to have success they are going to need solid goaltending and thats where Lehtonen will come in.

2. Alexander Ovechkin - Yes probably many of you though i would have him listed as the #1 prospect but he is just slightly below lehtonen. Ovechkin is the best forward prospect in the NHL system right now and should have a great career as he is touted as the best Russian prospect born, as well as the best prospect since Mario Lemieux.

3. Dion Phaneuf - During the 2003 draft it looked like Phaneuf would be the 3rd best dman to be taken from the draft and he was, getting drafted after Suter and Coburn, but right now Phaneuf has turned things around and has been the best dman out of the draft. He is improving a great deal adding 13 more points than his previous year while playing 9 less games. He also had a tremendous performance at the WJC.

4. Evgeni Malkin - The obvious 2nd overall pick in the 2004 draft, this young Russian has got scouts questioning whether he was better than Ovechkin, but truth be told no matter how much room he gained on Ovechkin there was just no way he would be drafted 1st overall.

5. Marc Andre Fleury - The 2003 1st pick overall has been pretty great for the Pittsburgh Penguins, as he was given the chance to play in the NHL as an 18 year old. He started off great but finish rather weak, but you can't blame him for that since he was 18 years old and playing for the worst team in the NHL. As he went back to the OMJHL, he posted his some great numbers and will no doubt be a franchise goaltender.

6. Thomas Vanek - This kid is a pure goal scorer, he will most likely get all the chances in the world next season to crack the Buffalo lineup. He had a rather off year this year playing 7 less games and scoring 11 less points, but this Jason Allison type player seems to me as potential "Rocket Richard" winner.

7. Ryan Suter

8. Braydon Coburn

9. Cam Barker

10. Zach Parise

11. Ryan Miller

12. Milan Michalek

13. Jeff Carter

14. Andrei Kasititsyn

15. Igor Grigorenko

16. Andrew Ladd

17. Fedor Tjutin

18. Denis Grebeshkov

19. Anthony Stewart

20. Mark Stuart

21. Alvaro Montoya

22. Dustin Brown

23. Ryan Getzlaf

24. Ryan Whitney

25. Robbie Schremp

So Any thoughts on my list??

2. velimiiro

velimiiro Guest

Marc Andre Fleury > Kari Lehtonen...... Watch and see.

I do not agree with Phaneuf at #3 either!

3. TomahawkSniper

TomahawkSniper Registered User

Here's mine:
    1. Kari Lehtonen
    2. Alexander Ovechkin
    3. Marc-Andre Fleury
    4. Evgeney Malkin
    5. Dion Phaneuf
    6. Thomas Vanek
    7. Ryan Suter
    8. Cam Barker
    9. Braydon Coburn
    10. Ryan Miller
    11. Zach Parise
    12. Milan Michalek
    13. Andrei Kostitsyn
    14. Igor Grigorenko
    15. Andrew Ladd
    16. Denis Grebeshkov
    17. Jeff Carter
    18. Alvaro Montoya
    19. Fedor Tjutin
    20. Ryan Getzlaf
    21. Dustin Brown
    22. Anthony Stewart
    23. Robbie Schremp
    24. Mark Stuart
    25. Ryan Kesler

4. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

Why dont you agree with Phaneuf at #3? Is because he is ahead 2 pens prospects?

And Lehtonen will be better tham MAF. I dont think youd get much of an argument here.

#2 Registered User

Home Page:
    Yup, Phaneuf is a can't miss prospect, he will play either in the NHL full time next season or play in the AHL and be a call up for Calgary.

Also Yes Lehtonen will be better M.A Fleruy, hes developed really great in AHL, he posted a .926 sv% in the AHL and in 4 games in the NHL he won 4 games, 1 Shutout, 1.25 GAA and .953 sv%. The kid is unbelievable.

6. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

IMO, Malkin, Vanek, Coburn, Barker, Ladd, Montoya, and Whitney are too high. Although I've only seen Malkin play twice, I think it's too high, but I still think the people that say Malkin will be better then AO are nuts, I just don't see it, although 2 games is not much to go off of.

Vanek I liked in the USHL, but as good as his shot is, he reminds me way too much of Marcel Hossa. There's no chance in hell, I'd have him that high, although when he wants to score he makes it look easy.

The 3 WHL guys I also haven't seen that much since I'm on the east coast, but I think they are a little high, as I'm not a big fan of Coburn's game, although he's got impressive size/skating I'll wait till I see what he does this year. Barker I got a bad impression from the memorial cup, as I guess I expected more, although I still think he's going to be a good one, I feel A J Thelen could end up being the top defensemen from the '04 draft. Ladd I'd like to see him have another good season, as one big season during their draft year makes me skeptical.

Montoya and Whitney I have seen a bunch of times, and while both highly skilled, I feel both are overrated. Montoya was impressive at the wjc's, but at Michigan I was overly impressed and was surprised to see him go so high in the draft. Whitney reminds me too much of Ron Hainsey, in that he's not physical in front of the net, doesn't seem very solid in his own end either, but does have a nice shot and can move the puck well.

I'm not saying any of these prospects are bad prospects, just I'd have them a little lower, but it's easier to pick on a list then make one.

7. Newfie Bruin

Newfie Bruin Registered User

Home Page:
    I am assuming most people believe Mark Stuart is leaving college this year. I hope your right. I really think one of Andy Hilbert or Brad Boyes will make a big impact for the bruins. Not sure yet which one though

8. krooky

krooky Registered User

Home Page:

If the NHL season starts I highly doubt Phaneuf will get cut by the Flames, but even if he did he isn't eligible to play in the AHL this season anyway.

9. PMP5030

PMP5030 Registered User

Allison is a very bad comparision for Vanek. Vanek does not possess the hockey sense or strength along the boards that makes a healthy Allison an assist machine. Vanek does have awesome patience with the puck one-on-one with a goaltender, I think a better comparision would be a less-skilled version of Dany Heatley, having seen both when they played NCAA hockey.

10. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Registered User

Home Page:
    Heh....at 19 and 20 years of age people are already assuring themselves that one will be better than the other. Look at their ages. neither of them are old enough to legally drink in the US. They both would still be underclassmen in college. You are talking about one being assuredly better than the other? I wouldn't assure anything. I am not ready to assure that one day MAF will be a great starter and that Malkin will be a top center. If we were judging by Fleury's first month, I'd have quite an argument saying that Fleury would be better than Lehtonen. But so many things can happen to a prospect. It's completely out of line to ASSURE one will be better than the other.

11. WVP

WVP Registered User

This is a rather absurd comment, especially how you act like it's a commonly known fact. Both goalies are ridiculously talented.

This is like saying Pat Falloon will definitely be better than Forsberg, Naslund, Kovalev, etc after the '91 draft.

12. LaLaLaprise

LaLaLaprise lalalaprise -twitter

It was just my opinion. Plus if you took a poll i bet people would agree with me, but you are intitled to your opinion. I just think MAF is overrated.

13. db23

db23 Guest

If Malkin had been healthy all year, I think there was a good chance he would have been drafted ahead of Ovechkin. He had a severe concussion mid season and still scored at nearly the same rate as Ovechkin in the RSL. He is 10 months younger and will be about 3 inches taller than Ovechkin. He is already a better two way player and a better leader.

#2 Registered User

Home Page:
    I gotta disagree, if malkin played the full season i can say that he could have been better then Ovechkin, but no matter what Ovechkin was going first.
    An example of this could be like
    if Guillaume Latendresse(also plays in the QMJHL) scores 200+ pts and Crosby only scores like 100 pts, there is still no way Guillaume will knabb that first spot away from Crosby

15. Epsilon

Epsilon #basta

If that happened (assuming we arn't talking about some dumb scenario like Crosby scores 100 points in 40 games and then gets injured), I would bet a million dollars that Latendresse would go first overall. And if Malkin played a full year and outscored Ovechkin 2 to 1, he'd probably have gone first as well.

16. Saprykin Fan

Saprykin Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    hey

newfie bruin, he is not this coming year but the year after he is as good as gone ;) my bro plays on his team.

17. thrashers=cup05

thrashers=cup05 Registered User

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.