2005 NHL Draft Lottery-Know the Rules

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Burke would be stupid enough to pick Jones 1st overall if we win the lottery
I agree based on the amount of Defensman they already have and the amount they drafted in 2012. So it would make the most sense to select Nathan MacKinnon if they had the 1st overall pick

However everyone also said the Oilers should have taken Ryan Murray and not Nail Yakupov because they needed help on their Defense. However for whatever reason they went with Yakupov because the media was still saying how he should be the #1 pick and all the hype he got, although I'm sure the Oilers would never admit that's why they selected him.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
It's widely recognized to always take the BPA when you draft, doesn't matter if it fits a need or not especially when you're picking 1st overall.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Even that description's a little misleading. You don't lose a ball "for every" playoff appearance or first overall. Essentially there's two criteria:

1) Missed the playoffs in each of the previous 3 seasons.
2) Didn't have the 1st overall selection over the last 4 drafts.

If you met both criteria, you got 3 balls.
If you made the playoffs only once OR had the 1st overall only once, you got 2 balls.
If you had two or more of any combination of those two (playoff appearances or 1st overalls), then you only got 1 ball.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

Thanks for starting the thread though; it'll definitely be useful with all this lock-out talk flying around.

Sorry to bump this thread but a google search led me to it.

So if that is the case, why did Pittsburgh get 3 balls?

They had the 1st overall pick in 2003 and took Marc Andre Fleury. Shouldn't they have lost a ball?

Also Columbus had the 1st overall pick in 2002 and took Rick Nash. Shouldn't they have lost a ball?

Never mind: I see Florida traded the pick to Columbus and Pittsburgh in those years and Florida was docked balls because of it. Duh

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lol poor Florida..

Just looked up this thread because I was confused on how it happened. Interesting looking back on it now.

Edit: didn't know this was on the Leafs board. Assumed it was on one of the main boards. (I googled 2005 lottery)

Feel free to delete if you want, mods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad