2005 draft revisited

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember how the Habs somehow moved all the way up to #5 in the lottery draw. Hoping somehow to get all the way to #1 and snag Sidney Crosby. Obviously that did not happen.
When TT called out Carey's name I was as not alone when I said..."huh"? A goalie? We have Theodore who is in his prime, we don't need a stinkin goalie!"
Pierre Maguire was also slamming the pick! Looking back it seems that Carey Price is at least the 2nd best player from this draft, he has evolved into IMO the best goalie in the league and is the reason this team is a serious cup contender!
Watching him play last night was a treat and a privilege and it is obvious that he is the leader of this team.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site
It was between Marc Staal and Carey Price. Timmins asked Gainey if he wanted a #1 goaler or a #1 d-men. Gainey chose the goaltender.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
In hindsight, Kopitar is the only other player chosen after Price that we can say would have been just as good of a pick.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
In hindsight, Kopitar is the only other player chosen after Price that we can say would have been just as good of a pick.

Rask was picked in the early 20s and Quick in the early third round, two goalies that are on a similar level as Price.

In hindsight, Kopitar + Quick was the best possible outcome for us.

But I'm happy with Price, that's for sure.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Rask was picked in the early 20s and Quick in the early third round, two goalies that are on a similar level as Price.

Well in hindsight, why stop there? We could have picked Keith Yandle in the 4th and Patrick Hornqvist in the 7th..

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Price is saving this team this year no thanks for any other pick. Anze is having a slow start this year but Price over him

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

Yeah LA really got their cup winning draft in 2005. But going in retrospect, Montreal could have also find a way to snag Yandle before the 4th round and Stralman before the 7th

Back in 2005, I was more intrigued then disappointed with the pick of Price. And I was really happy with the Latendresse pick.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah LA really got their cup winning draft in 2005. But going in retrospect, Montreal could have also find a way to snag Yandle before the 4th round and Stralman before the 7th

Back in 2005, I was more intrigued then disappointed with the pick of Price. And I was really happy with the Latendresse pick.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the Price pick at all.

But in hindsight, which seems to be what this thread is about, Kopitar + Quick would have been much better.

But that's kind of irrelevant. You could do that for any draft year. I'm satisfied with drafting any kind of elite talent whenever we have a top 5 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad