OT: 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Hi, it's me again. Just out of pure curiosity, I was wondering who all of you Leaf fans were rooting for in the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals. The who prospect of a team from Canada winning the cup was pretty hyped up, even on ABC. They made it appear that most of Canada wanted the Flames to win (Canadians have subsequently told me that it was just hype).

While that was the Flames narrative, the Lightning's narrative was Dave Andreychuk trying to win his first cup in his 22nd season (and ultimately succeeding). On the surface, this seems to be appealing to Leaf fans since Andreychuk is a local and also a former Leaf.

Just wondering, who were all you Leaf fans rooting for in the 2004 SCF?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Easily Calgary. I really liked their team, it was hard not to, Iginla, Kipper, Gelinas, Conroy, Commodore, etc.

I've never had any issues with their team or fans, in fact they're the only ones yet to annoy me. Even Oilers fans have chirped us in recent years, though that seems to have quieted down lately ;)

Almost all of Canada was behind them that year though, it was crazy how much support they had nationwide.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I was completely behind Cagary and Edmonton during their Cup runs. I was devastated when they both lost, it felt like I was a fan of each team my whole life during those playoffs.

Vancouver was a different story. I jumped up and down when they lost.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Live in calgary and I can tell you it was insane how crazy the whole city was! Amazing experience! Too bad calgary got robbed of the cup

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Flames. I'd just returned from living there for a few years and they are my favourite Western conference team.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Calgary. I've always been a big fan of Iginla and was really rooting for them.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The Flames are probably the only other Canadian team that I wouldn't mind seeing win the cup. The rest can go **** themselves.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Calgary, but it had (and never has had) anything to do with some sort of nationalistic allegiance. I simply liked their team more, most notably Iginla.

Was happy to see Andreychuk win a cup, though.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Rooted for Calgary for sure. They have the most respectful Canadian fanbase in my opinion, I've always wished them well. They were ROBBED in 2004.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Wow the Flames sure are winning this poll. Seems like they were popular that year among Leaf fans.

Calgary, but it had (and never has had) anything to do with some sort of nationalistic allegiance. I simply liked their team more, most notably Iginla.

Was happy to see Andreychuk win a cup, though.

Even though most of you were rooting for the Flames, were you still happy to see Andreychuk finally win the cup? (Being a from Hamilton and a former Leaf)

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I wanted Calgray to win so bad, but of course, the referee's had a different view. To this day I swear TB paid off those refs :shakehead

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
Wow the Flames sure are winning this poll. Seems like they were popular that year among Leaf fans.

Even though most of you were rooting for the Flames, were you still happy to see Andreychuk finally win the cup? (Being a from Hamilton and a former Leaf)

At the time (game 7) I was too pissed off to think about that lol, but looking back at it now I am definitely happy for Andreychuk :handclap: Just like Kaberle getting it with the Bruins in 2011

bshaw

Jul 4, 2010
Hamilton
Good ol Hamilton boy andreychuk and his sister was my grade 1-5 music teacher! Played minor hockey at the same arena as him so Tampa baby even though, being almost 22 now I barely remember

Penalty Kill Icing*

Sorry, but that use of technology is flawed. You can't just zoom in on the puck, and then turn the virtual camera view of a real event.

That would've been only possible if someone knew the distance between camera and far end, and camera and near end of the puck.

I don't know the animation skills, but it can be showed as easily that the puck was 1 foot behind the goal line.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
What about Winnipeg?

They're not half bad either.

LOL no. I don't mind their team, but the fans are unbearable. The arrogance they display when facing the Leafs is laughable. Should've seen their disrespectful PGT last time. Of course, we came back with our own "Thrashers" insult, which is a bit of a low-blow, but they brought it upon themselves talking trash about our team and calling them the "Laffs", which is the most overdone insult in the book.

They were popular Canada-wide that year. Out of all the recent Cup runs by Canadian teams (Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver), they had the most support by far. Edmonton had a lot too, Ottawa and Vancouver were meh though.

Calgary was easy to like, same with Edmonton, they had a good group of guys that were easy to cheer for. Ottawa on the other hand was easy to dislike (obviously as a Leafs fan), and nobody likes Vancouver :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa Bay. Always been a fan of the Lecavalier/St. Louis/Richards and now Stamkos core.

cujoflutie

i'll try my best to make this post civil to avoid offending any visiting fans who may be reading this; (and to be different I'll answer the direct question at the end of the post)

so who would I be cheering for if the other canadian teams were in the playoffs?

I've never cheered for the habs in a playoff game. I think the only scenario I could see myself realistically doing that is if a habs team I didnt mind (such as the 2008-2009 version in which Carbo coached) played an Ottawa team I extra despised.

Ottawa I generally cheer against but I can be persuaded to tolerate them at times. Truth be told I actually like the current version of the team and the way Paul Maclean runs them. I generally cheer against the non-hockey markets in the playoffs, so I did have trouble deciding whom I wanted to lose less between Ottawa and Anaheim. I finally decided since I disliked Alfie, Spezza, Heatley, and Neil and the fact that we'd never hear the end of it if the sens won a cup that I'd cheer for the ducks. After Alfredssons puck shooting gaffe, I was firmly on the ducks bandwagon.

As someone mentioned above, the only issue we seemed to have had with the Oiler fans was around 2001 when they got decent again (not sure why they hated us so much at the time, was it the Cujo factor?) I definitely cheered for them against the Hurricanes in 2006.

Winnipeg is a team I'd probably cheer for against any other at this point. While they are still fairly popular, the fan base that attends games has become adept at trolling the other team (this is not a criticism, they are clearly trying to be the 7th man), I can envision them drawing hate.

Vancouver I dont have an issue with the franchise or fans, if pretty much any version of their team prior to 2009 made the finals against an american team, I'd likely cheer for them. But I could not bring myself to cheer for that team of rats and divers to win in 2011, knowing how horrible it would have been for hockey if a team won the cup playing that way. I actually think if the Canucks met the Sens in the finals this year, I would cheer for Ottawa.

now the issue at hand; Calgary has always been my 2nd favourite team (although Winnipeg may be now); I cheered for them every step of the way and the following they had was astounding. That year was one of the rare playoffs where the finalists were more memorable down the road than the champs (though 2011 may shape out the same way). Andy winning was a nice silver lining but no where close enough to be glad the lightning won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad