May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
lots of suprises in the draft:

tukonen at 11th to LA who many thought were going after a goalie
dubnyk ahead of schwarz at 14th going to EDM
schwarz at 17th to STL
wolski falling to 21st to an ecstatic COL team i'm sure
teams constantly passing on schremp until EDM at 25... i hope this kid lights it up

maybe the biggest suprise of all..... wheeler to PHX at 5.... can someone gimme a better background on this kid? i know he's big and younger than most prospects, but whats his future? where is he going next year in the NCAA?

bsfanincuse

Aug 17, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Visit site
fedorov_jr said:
lots of suprises in the draft:

tukonen at 11th to LA who many thought were going after a goalie
dubnyk ahead of schwarz at 14th going to EDM
schwarz at 17th to STL
wolski falling to 21st to an ecstatic COL team i'm sure
teams constantly passing on schremp until EDM at 25... i hope this kid lights it up

maybe the biggest suprise of all..... wheeler to PHX at 5.... can someone gimme a better background on this kid? i know he's big and younger than most prospects, but whats his future? where is he going next year in the NCAA?
he is a kid and he has 1 more year of HIGH SCHOOL or juniors before he goes to Minnesota college

guitaraholic*

Blues had a greatn draft, IMO. I think they now have great depth in their system at the goalie position with "Cash," Nussinen, Barulin, Sanford, Beckford-Tseu and now Malek Schwarz. One of the kids has to pan out and finally give the Blues a home-grown, top level NHL goalie they've lacked since the days of Mike Luit, a vastly underrated goalie back in the day.
Also getting Soderberg and Alexandrov in the 2nd and 3rd were great picks as well. Nice day for Blues fans.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
Chicago had the best draft, IMO. Getting the best defenceman then a host of good forward prospects (Sindel, Bickell, Berti, Garlock, and someone else I can't remember right now)

of course Washington had a great one. Not only with Ovechkin but they really shored up their blueline with their late 1st round picks. Rangers had a good one as well but that's to be expected.

I'm a homer but I think Calgary had a good draft as well. Came in with one pick (19th) and came out with three (24th, 70th, 98th). Still didn't get another impact forward but got a couple of good grinding Sutter type forwards.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
i agree that the blues came away with one of the best drafts with schrawz, sodenberg and alexandrov -- how did he slip to the 3rd round??

chicago and the rangers did well also, but with as many picks as they had, they should have done well

dallas collected a lot of picks by trading down and still getting the guy they wanted in the first round

being a pens fan, i think nabbing salmonsson will pan out to be a decent pick

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
guitaraholic said:
I think they now have great depth in their system at the goalie position with "Cash," Nussinen, Barulin, Sanford, Beckford-Tseu and now Malek Schwarz.

If you only knew what that typo means for us Finns now... :lol :lol

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Jussi said:
If you only knew what that typo means for us Finns now... :lol :lol

Oh please tell!!!!!

Anyway, I would've posted here earlier but everyone knows the way the boards are.

First off, what the hell was the Coyotes thinking picking Wheeler. He's a good young player but he was definitely a late first/early second round pick. Sure, Wes O'Neill, whom wasn't picked until the fourth round(unbelievable), I personally feel is a better prospect then Wheeler.

Edmonton also made a dumb move followed by a smart move. Picking Dubnyk over Schwarz is just plain crazy. I also can't quite understand why Montoya is now considered the best goalie in the draft while most people here thought Schwarz was clearly better then Montoya, yet Schwarz was picked 11 spots behind Montoya, and 3 behind Dubnyk. Plus TSN clearly had Montoya above Schwarz. Can somebody explain? Edmonton then makes one of the best steals in the draft by picking Schremp. I think Schremp in his first season in the NHL may do well enough to get the Calder or be nominated. Edmonton doesn't have the best roster in the NHL by a long shot but is not necessarily bad either. I think this is the type of team Schremp can excel with. I think he was also a bit pissed off about not being selected until then despite knowing he had top notch talent. He didn't look too pleased in the crowd waiting. And after saying "I guess they will have to wait and see next year when I play against them", I think he'll be more determined then he ever was in the juniors. And if he becomes a more determined, he'll obviously become a better player, and if he becomes a better player then he already is, then he could definitely have a chance at the Calder.

Also, can someone fill me in on Boston's two second round picks. Don't know much about either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad