2003 NHL draft late round steals/gems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hokay said:
In 2003, The steals were Louis-Philippe Martin and COREY LOCKE! For Locke, look Pavel Bure have been drafted in the 6th round (I don't compare Corey Locke and Pavel Bure :p ) but, it just show that most of the offensive talent are late in drafts, cause the small players with tremendous talent are stuck there. :D

I think the biggest steal of the 2002 draft was Korneev. He've been drafted in the 9th round and he had the talent to be part of the first. The only problem is his size (He's 5"11, it's not the end of the world :madfire: )! I"ll be :lol: when the other teams see him being a real offensive terror.

The reason why Bure dropped was because there was something about him not coming over to North America or something. I don't remember exactly what it was but I can remember there was some roadblock that the Canucks figured out so they could take him. Maybe teams thought he wasn't eligible, I can't remember exactly what it was. Someone will have to clarify that for me.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Kritty said:
The reason why Bure dropped was because there was something about him not coming over to North America or something. I don't remember exactly what it was but I can remember there was some roadblock that the Canucks figured out so they could take him. Maybe teams thought he wasn't eligible, I can't remember exactly what it was. Someone will have to clarify that for me.

It had to do with games played. He wasn't considered eligible because he supposedly didn't play enough games or something like that, but Quinn argued that he did, and they won in arbitration.

As for the steal of the draft, it is obviously Toronto 7th rounder Jeremy Williams. The guy is leading the Dub in scoring. He should've gone alot earlier, and could possibly end up as one of the top 50 guys to come out of that draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hokay said:
In 2003, The steals were Louis-Philippe Martin and COREY LOCKE! For Locke, look Pavel Bure have been drafted in the 6th round (I don't compare Corey Locke and Pavel Bure :p ) but, it just show that most of the offensive talent are late in drafts, cause the small players with tremendous talent are stuck there. :D

I think the biggest steal of the 2002 draft was Korneev. He've been drafted in the 9th round and he had the talent to be part of the first. The only problem is his size (He's 5"11, it's not the end of the world :madfire: )! I"ll be :lol: when the other teams see him being a real offensive terror.

LP Martin? You kidding me right?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kritty said:
I was wondering about Guenette. Saw him in the ReMax challenge and was fairly impressed. Any info on him? Style of play, future, etc.? I was also wondering about Zbynek Hrdel. From what I've read and heard he has some real nice talent but hasn't done a whole lot yet. Any info on him? I'm not up to date on many Q league players.

He is 6'00 185. You can call him small if you want but he is the same size as Richards, Tanguay and Gagne.

He has deceptive speed and great vision. His shot needs some work, he has a quick release but id like to see him get more on it. He also has a tendancy to fan a lot.

That being said i can see him making the NHL, he is a late bloomer just like Jason King. But he will need time in the AHL for sure.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't think Guenette is tough enough for the NHL. Dixon on the other hand is, a Moosehead knocked him out cold in a fight adn Dixon came back in the third and scored twice, not that scoring on the Moose is a challenge.

When was Dixon knocked out cold?? Is this one of your pipedreams??

Also since Gunner is tough, he is tough like Daniel Aldredsson. He wont fight, but he is very elusive and never gets hit basically. Very slippery.

Also Dixon does have a bit more grit and spunk to his game but its not like people are afriad to go into the corner with him.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
I didn't see the game but I was told Dixon was knocked out cold in a fight.

Guenette is about as tough as my pinky finger, I never see him go in the corners or in front, he stays away to the perimiters.

Dixon is a tough little player and like I said in another thread he is much like Savard without the biteing. How many players 5`11 are feared in corners. Gilmour maybe

So you are ASSUMING that he was knocked out cold. Yet when i assume in a different thread you jump on me.

Also Guenette is very good down low, just because he doesnt get plastered into the boards doesnt mean he doesnt dig. Also i like to compare his overall game to Daniel Alfredsson, very decpetive speed, not physical but gets the job done.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't think Guenette is tough enough for the NHL. Dixon on the other hand is, a Moosehead knocked him out cold.

That's funny, it usually takes at least 10 or 12 Mooseheads to knock me out cold, but at 5-6 bucks a six pack, who's counting? :rolly:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd say Greg Moore out in Maine in the NCAA is a pretty good sleeper 5th rounder by the Flames. He has 7 goals and 13 points in 13 games so far this year (last I checked). Also Kevin Harvey (Todd's brother) has been a real nice surprise of a 9th rounder. He is nothing special but has some points and is a real spark plug, played well at camp.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
go pierre hedin said:
Martin Sagat
Currently on pace to put up a point a game in his first season in the WHL playing alongside New York Rangers prospect, Nigel Dawes. He'll be playing for Slovakia in the upcoming WJC. He's got great size (6'4), and is projected to be a Nikolai Antropov type player.

Is he related to Bob Sagat?

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Hokay said:
It was a mistake, but it was an example. Because lots of NHL stars have been drafted late in drafts. You can look at the Ottawa Senators for example.

I dont understand your thinking cause most of ottawa core are first rounder: Chris Philips, Wafe Redden, Martin Havlat, Radek Bonk, Marian Hossa, Anton Volckenkov, Jason Spezza, Antoine Vermette. Zdeno Chara is a late rounder, be he was drafted by New York. Daniel Alfredsson is the only late rounder on Ottawa roster who is a star unless you consider Mike Fisher to also be a star

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Marmax said:
I dont understand your thinking cause most of ottawa core are first rounder: Chris Philips, Wafe Redden, Martin Havlat, Radek Bonk, Marian Hossa, Anton Volckenkov, Jason Spezza, Antoine Vermette. Zdeno Chara is a late rounder, be he was drafted by New York. Daniel Alfredsson is the only late rounder on Ottawa roster who is a star unless you consider Mike Fisher to also be a star

Demitra is a star and was a ninth round draft pick by the Sens.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ruckus007 said:
Can you please elaborate? Martin turned a few heads in Sabres Training Camp this year and looks like he'll be worth signing at least.

Well, he is a 2nd line 19 year old on a sub .500 team. Usually by age 19 if youre going to make it in pro hockey you will at least lead your team on the ice.

He is a terrific offensive player but i just cant see him making the NHL. He isnt very big and his skating is average.

Still for a 9th rd pick, he is worth the risk.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
La-La-Laprise said:
Well, he is a 2nd line 19 year old on a sub .500 team. Usually by age 19 if youre going to make it in pro hockey you will at least lead your team on the ice.

He is a terrific offensive player but i just cant see him making the NHL. He isnt very big and his skating is average.

Still for a 9th rd pick, he is worth the risk.

Fair enough, thanks. Like I said he looked good enough in camp this year to suggest that he might at least end up in Rochester.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hokay said:
Louis-Phillipe Martin was rated in the 4th round I think and he was drafted in the 9th round, so I think he have been a steal! :p

If you actually use the CSB rankings to back up your opinions than people wont really take you seriosuly.

Everyone on here pretty much knows CSB Rankings suck.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
La-La-Laprise said:
If you actually use the CSB rankings to back up your opinions than people wont really take you seriosuly.

Everyone on here pretty much knows CSB Rankings suck.

I think they're much better than Redline.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Brad Richardson Colorado 5th.

I know he hasn't played this year because he separated his shoulder early but i don't care,this kid is the real deal.

A Good Flying Bird*

pavel13 said:
Vladimir Kutny picked by Detroit in the 8th round - huge sleeper pick. Apparently he was a first-rounder before he came to the Q, but got limited ice time and his stock fell dramatically. He is playing on the first line now, and is scoring a lot more (or at least that's what I heard).

Kutny has been a disappointment.
Andreas Sundin could turn out to be a dandy.

A Good Flying Bird*

Hokay said:

Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny were hardly late round gems. Their talents were well known to scouts. But they were among the first young Russians drafted. Until then, GMs didn't want to take a chance on Russians who might not be allowed to come to North America. (Fedorov and Mogilny defected to come to the NHL) Not sure about Bure.

ShyCheetah

Feb 22, 2003
Caprica City,Caprica
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Bure/Fedorov/Mogilny were hardly late round gems. Their talents were well known to scouts. But they were among the first young Russians drafted. Until then, GMs didn't want to take a chance on Russians who might not be allowed to come to North America. (Fedorov and Mogilny defected to come to the NHL) Not sure about Bure.

If my memory isn't too faulty I believe the deal with Bure was that the scounts weren't sure he'd be able to come over any time soon. He was their golden boy and one of the only stars left. Durring his draft year the number of games he played in Junior dictated he had to be taken in the first (3? or 2?) rounds. The Canucks took him in the 6th and alot of GM's called foul (stories came out later that some other GM's were going to try drafting him later on and the Nucks scouped them). That summer Quinn sent Larionov back to Russia with a suit case full of money to investigate and found a couple of line up cards that legalized the pick. The rest his history. Shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad