Olympics: 2002 roster vs 2014 roster?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I grew up watching legends like gretzky,messier,lemieux,jagr,forseberg,yzerman, lindros ect....

im just being honest about what team was better.

If crosby played in the 80`s He would put up more then guys like gretzky or lemieux.

:laugh:

Cowboy Dan

Reader Since '06
Jul 7, 2010
I believe a series between the two would go 6 or 7 games, absolutely. Its a 12 year difference, most of the players on the two rosters will have careers much longer than that, so talking about bigger, faster and stronger is asinine.

Two of the greatest teams ever put together though, that's for sure.

Cowboy Dan

Reader Since '06
Jul 7, 2010
2002, by a wide margin.

Don't know how you can say by a large margin. Were talking about a team that was perfect in their respective tournament, never trailed, and allowed 3 goals in 6 games. I don't think any team in the history of the game would be beating the 2014 team by a wide margin.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I believe a series between the two would go 6 or 7 games, absolutely. Its a 12 year difference, most of the players on the two rosters will have careers much longer than that, so talking about bigger, faster and stronger is asinine.

Well I think the defence was a bit faster (and Shanahan, old Lemieux, Lindros, Peca, Nolan, injured Yzerman, foote, etc...) were they fast ?

I think skating ability could be in the discution not era wise but the way team were built and specific player. and they way Pronger played on international ice/tourney vs nhl could also be talked (if the best of seven is played on nhl ice format or international).

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
2002, by a wide margin.

The result do not say that.... at all. Do not thing someone can seriously be "sure" about of the result on a 10 games series between those 2 team, but the never trailed by a goal team, perfect result could very easily classed above a team that went 1-1-1 with a negative GF-GA result in the premilary round.

Cowboy Dan

Reader Since '06
Jul 7, 2010
Well I think the defence was a bit faster (and Shanahan, old Lemieux, Lindros, Peca, Nolan, injured Yzerman, foote, etc...) were they fast ?

I think skating ability could be in the discution not era wise but the way team were built and specific player. and they way Pronger played on international ice/tourney vs nhl could also be talked (if the best of seven is played on nhl ice format or international).

Sorry, I should've added context to that. I was merely comparing eras, not teams. Obviously the 2014 team is faster as a whole, it was built for that specific purpose due to the big ice, but its not like Getzlaf, Perry and Benn are speedsters themselves, and even on the big ice they dominated play.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Sorry, I should've added context to that. I was merely comparing eras, not teams. Obviously the 2014 team is faster as a whole, it was built for that specific purpose due to the big ice, but its not like Getzlaf, Perry and Benn are speedsters themselves, and even on the big ice they dominated play.

Yes. In a fair comparison the 2002 team needs to be judged how they performed on small ice, the 2014 on large since it was what they both where assembled for and what they won their gold medals on.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Yes. In a fair comparison the 2002 team needs to be judged how they performed on small ice, the 2014 on large since it was what they both where assembled for and what they won their gold medals on.

If we judge by how they performed, 2014 would won easily, no ?

I thing the 2002 could beat 2014, is that they would raise to the occassion thing on a long 10 games series againts them.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Kariya, Sakic, Gagne, Niedermayer were all fast. Nieuwendyk, Fleury, Brewer, Iginla are a tier below them. 2002 wasn't a slow team by any means either.

I will say one thing, Kariya was especially surprised at how fast Lemieux could skate during the 2002 Olympics. He said that he could "flat out fly". We all know Lemieux had gears that he could switch just like that, but I think that's impressive that a past-his-prime Lemieux got that kind of response from Kariya.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I will say one thing, Kariya was especially surprised at how fast Lemieux could skate during the 2002 Olympics. He said that he could "flat out fly". We all know Lemieux had gears that he could switch just like that, but I think that's impressive that a past-his-prime Lemieux got that kind of response from Kariya.

Did he come with that or answered a question ? (if this is the second would who really thing a guy like Kariya will say that Lemieux just had good nhl speed and nothing special, but fast for his size and age relative of what we could thing if this was he was really thinking ?)

Peabo

Feb 22, 2014
TC 2002 for sure. Even the US 2002 team was better than the US 2014 team and Team Canada beat them by a wide margin in 2002

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
TC 2002 for sure. Even the US 2002 team was better than the US 2014 team and Team Canada beat them by a wide margin in 2002

thats such bs. kessel,parise,kane,backes,kessler are the best american forwards to ever play the game.

there speed and skill is way too much for guys like leclair lol, roenick, amonte and hull.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did he come with that or answered a question ? (if this is the second would who really thing a guy like Kariya will say that Lemieux just had good nhl speed and nothing special, but fast for his size and age relative of what we could thing if this was he was really thinking ?)

It was in a magazine. It was an interview with Kariya. He just commented himself on how he didn't realize how fast Lemieux was. The quote went something along the lines of "he can flat out fly". This was a 36 year old Lemieux too. And we all know Kariya is no plodder.

thats such bs. kessel,parise,kane,backes,kessler are the best american forwards to ever play the game.

there speed and skill is way too much for guys like leclair lol, roenick, amonte and hull.

The 2014 American team did not have a game breaker. Kessel maybe and Kane although Kane didn't produce as much. The American team of 1996-'02 had a lot of game breakers. Not to mention a lot of HHOFers. Of the forwards on Team USA 2014 you only have Kane as a pretty sure bet to be in the HHOF. The rest don't have a shot.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
Kariya, Sakic, Gagne, Niedermayer were all fast. Nieuwendyk, Fleury, Brewer, Iginla are a tier below them. 2002 wasn't a slow team by any means either.

The leadership of Lemieux the moment he made his comeback in December 2000 and was almost immediately appointed captain was critical in solidifying the leadership core.

then you add sakic who was the hart trophy winner and stanley cup champion with colorado. throw in kariya who finally makes his senior team debut (steven stamkos' is our current paul kariya so to speak), and a darkhorse to make the team in iginla making a big impact, you have a team for the ages once they're firing on all cylinders which was really the gold medal game in salt lake.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Don't know how you can say by a large margin. Were talking about a team that was perfect in their respective tournament, never trailed, and allowed 3 goals in 6 games. I don't think any team in the history of the game would be beating the 2014 team by a wide margin.
And yet... The competition. 2014 team never faced anybody as good as USA 02. In fact, 2014 had the easiest path to gold of all teams since NHL joined the OG.

An Argument For

Feb 25, 2014
And yet... The competition. 2014 team never faced anybody as good as USA 02. In fact, 2014 had the easiest path to gold of all teams since NHL joined the OG.

You said that like it's a fact.

The 10' team didn't play Sweden, Finland, or the Czech Republic.

The 06' Sweden team had the easiest elimination round so far, they avoided Canada, USA, and Russia.

An Argument For

Feb 25, 2014
You go by names, I go by actual accomplishments. Canada and USA were very weak in that tournament. Sweden defeated Czechs and Finns who were stronger than Russia.

What accomplishments? And be detailed because I'm pretty sure you're talking out of your ass.

getwiththeprogram*

Yes, I agree. I mean facing the team that completely shut down the home team (Finland), facing the team that beat the team that beat the home team (albeit, Sweden had injuries), and facing (and beating) an excellent American team that was the most explosive in the tournament until the semi-finals....yes, no doubt about it. Canada had it easy in Sochi.

lol

Why no mention of Sweden in 2006 when discussing teams that had an easy path to the gold? No game against Canada. No game against Russia. Allegations of throwing a game to get a favourable matchup in the quarter-finals.

A lot of people thought the US was the class of the field in Sochi, and Canada went through them to win. Hey, the Canadians would've happily played the Russians on their home ice, but there's this little matter of having to beat the teams in front of you to get there.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
The better understanding in traing/nutrition is one part but to less extent i think. More important is the pace of the game, the oppenents skill and strength, faster and bigger goalies that position much better. That makes todays players much better.

Oh great, here we go again... There is no time machines so for these two teams to meet on the ice is obviously impossible. But if todays players were born back then they would have to settle for somewhat worse conditioning etc. If the 2002 players played today they on the other end would have axess to todays conditioning etc.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Oh great, here we go again... There is no time machines so for these two teams to meet on the ice is obviously impossible. But if todays players were born back then they would have to settle for somewhat worse conditioning etc. If the 2002 players played today they on the other end would have axess to todays conditioning etc.

Who cares who would win. But if you just look at the style of play, I'd say that the 2014 team was better. And, the results were also better for this team. I mean, with relation to that talking about how impossible for Canada is to win in Europe on European Ice....It made me twice as happy when we won.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
A team's dominance is dependent on the level of their competition. You can't just assume the 2014 would go undefeated against the Swedes, Czechs, or Americans of 2002 because they did it in 2014.

Team Sweden in 2002 was better than any team Canada faced in 2014 imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad