2002 Redwing Cup winner Jiri Slegr where are they now

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I always liked Slegr's cup winning story. Jiri Slegr was a deadline aquisition in 2002 and played 8 regular season games for the wings. He didn't dress during the 2002playoffs until the cup clinching game 5 vs. Carolina. I love to think back on what must have gone through his mind the day he got the call and finally raised the cup that night. I was looking up his career today to see if he is still playing and he actually is at 43 years old in the Czech Republic. (I beleive his home town)

The most interesting thing I learned is that Slegr is among a small group of 25 players who won a stanley cup ring, world cup gold medal, and olympic gold medal over their careers :handclap:.

Last edited:

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, he's back playing for Litvinov and (being a Scottish guy who is working in Prague for the year) I had the pleasure/misfortune of seeing him score against my team, Slavia.

Interestingly, Slegr missed 3 seasons because he was serving as an MP for the Social Democratic Party.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I have a signed 8 by 10 of Slegr holding the cup at the entrance of my man cave. Most who enter can't identify the man, I guess in a way its my middle finger to the bang wagon fans of that era haha

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He should be calling Jiri Fischer every day thanking him for cross-checking that Carolina player in the face.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Yep, Everyone knows that Pav played a role his entire rookie season and that carried over into the postseason. Yes, I was quoting him. If Pav where to read this thread and was to respond to it I guarantee that would be how he would reply.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009

@ 3:27

Brutal stuff.

Man, that makes me remember how the wings used to always cashed in on 2-1s. Remember how Lidstrom always defended 2-1s as well?

That video also makes me remember how heart attack inducing Hasek's wandering was.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Man, that makes me remember how the wings used to always cashed in on 2-1s. Remember how Lidstrom always defended 2-1s as well?

That video also makes me remember how heart attack inducing Hasek's wandering was.

tumblr_mliqdvPDNq1sna8pso1_500.gif

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Man, that makes me remember how the wings used to always cashed in on 2-1s.

If you watch the highlights of the game immediately preceding that one, you'll see Shanahan miss the net on a clear 2-on-1 break in overtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad