2001: Were the Avs ever on the verge of being eliminated?

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar

Aug 4, 2009
Calgry
I was about to start a thread on favorite moments not involving your favorite team after seeing one of those cheesy new NHL playoff commercials featuring Ray Bourque winning the Cup.

I could have sworn that the Avs were on the verge of being eliminated at one point in the playoffs. On tv, they showed their bench totally dejected near the end of the third, including Bourque. Then the Avs scored to tie it near the very end of the game. They replayed Bourque's reaction to the goal while he was sitting on the bench and he went from looking dead to looking ecstatic in a second. His reaction was priceless and his eyes looked like he was going to cry tears of joy.

I could have sworn this was in the finals. But looking up things on wikipedia and youtube (unless I'm reading or seeing things wrong) the Avs were never in danger of losing Game 7 to New Jersey. I think the only other time they were in danger of getting knocked out was in the LA series.

I swear this happened because I remember talking to my friend about Bourque's reaction and how cool it was to see.

Maybe it happened in another game that wasn't an elimination game? It's really bugging me. What reason would I have for confabulating this memory? I hate the Avs and wasn't a Bourque fan or anything when he was still playing. :laugh:

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
I was about to start a thread on favorite moments not involving your favorite team after seeing one of those cheesy new NHL playoff commercials featuring Ray Bourque winning the Cup.

I could have sworn that the Avs were on the verge of being eliminated at one point in the playoffs. On tv, they showed their bench totally dejected near the end of the third, including Bourque. Then the Avs scored to tie it near the very end of the game. They replayed Bourque's reaction to the goal while he was sitting on the bench and he went from looking dead to looking ecstatic in a second. His reaction was priceless and his eyes looked like he was going to cry tears of joy.

I could have sworn this was in the finals. But looking up things on wikipedia and youtube (unless I'm reading or seeing things wrong) the Avs were never in danger of losing Game 7 to New Jersey. I think the only other time they were in danger of getting knocked out was in the LA series.

I swear this happened because I remember talking to my friend about Bourque's reaction and how cool it was to see.

Maybe it happened in another game that wasn't an elimination game? It's really bugging me. What reason would I have for confabulating this memory? I hate the Avs and wasn't a Bourque fan or anything when he was still playing. :laugh:

they were down 3-2 to the Devils and looked like crap (other than Roy) in the 1st period of game 6. then Jon Klemm put Scott Gomez in a half-nelson ("legal" at the time) on the PP, and Gomez, like an idiot, kicked the puck into the net.

Roy survived the period and Brodeur let up a ****** goal to Adam Foote. then the Avs were on their way. but yes, they were in trouble early in Game 6 and Roy + Gomez bailed them out

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
The Avalanche were down 3-2 to Dallas in the 2000 WCF, but ended up winning game six in Denver in order to force a seventh game.

It's possible that the clip is from game six of that series.

EDIT: Nevermind. I checked the boxscore from game six and Bourque was on the ice for both Colorado goals.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They were down 3-2 to NJ in the finals, going back to NJ...

This was as close as they got to being eliminated. Then Roy posts a shutout at precisely the right time.

Personally even though LA came back in their other series, to me there was never a doubt in my mind that they would come out on top.........eventually

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd actually say they were closer to elimination in the LA series than New Jersey. Game 7 was tied heading into the third period, and LA had all the momentum having tied the score late in the second. Both elimination games against the Devils weren't in doubt past the midway point of the game.

ManOnTheMoon

Hejdas Gonna Hejd
Aug 7, 2009
Omaha, Nebraska
As an Avs fan, I was much more scared during the LA series than the NJ one. LA just tore apart Detroit on pure momentum, and it looked like they were going to do the same thing to Colorado. Potvin was absolutely dominant for them.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
I'd actually say they were closer to elimination in the LA series than New Jersey. Game 7 was tied heading into the third period, and LA had all the momentum having tied the score late in the second. Both elimination games against the Devils weren't in doubt past the midway point of the game.

yeah, they were in deep trouble in that series, I had forgotten about the Game 7 because I've tried to erase all memory of the 2001 Avs. :laugh:

but, IMO, and I say IMO because I went to Game 6 with a pretty good fever, the Avs were dead on their feet at the beginning of the game... other than Roy. the combination of Roy playing lights out and Brodeur giving up a godawful goal flipped the game.

not to mention Gomez giving the Avs a free timeout for, well, I don't know what he was thinking. at least flop to the ice and hope the puck bounces off you or something. :laugh:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Game 7 of that finals..Alex Tanguay has two goals, Joe Sakic had two points and Patrick Roy was his usual Conn Smythe self.

What would the Finals be like if Forsberg played? :dunno:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I don't remember them scoring late goals to tie a game at any point, but Drury did score a late goal to win in their first playoff game.

There was only one game in the entire playoffs in which they trailed by more than one goal (Game 5 against New Jersey). Best team of the decade, in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad