2001 vs 2014

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I was thinking about this before it was mentioned on last nights game. I always remembered how I excited I was for that season and how we started. What I would like to discuss is the difference. In 2001 we added the two best forwards on the team by giving up the farm (literally). Fast forward to 2014 and I have the same excitement, but, we have not given up the farm and even the team still has a line up full of Islanders draftee's.

Thoughts?

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I was thinking about this before it was mentioned on last nights game. I always remembered how I excited I was for that season and how we started. What I would like to discuss is the difference. In 2001 we added the two best forwards on the team by giving up the farm (literally). Fast forward to 2014 and I have the same excitement, but, we have not given up the farm and even the team still has a line up full of Islanders draftee's.

Thoughts?

Dilbury was an idiot. I think Garth is more of a strategic GM. You accumulate assets to create an opportunity to make this a lengthy success story. I hope for health and growth.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
To be fair. Who knows what happens to that team if peca doesn't wreck his knee. That ruined that year and essentially the next 1.5 years.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
2001's team was pretty similar in the fact that they added key players in a short span and went from worst to almost first. This team is deeper on offense, 2001 had a slightly better d corps and a bonafide #1 cup winning goalie in Osgood.

This years team has a much better core of young talent, and didn't part with any of it to strengthen the team. 2001 team was good, but this team should take it to the next level for years to come.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That team overachieved as a whole, after the first 13 games of the season I think they went something like 30-28-11...if they had lost 3-4 of those first 13 games its entirely possible they would have missed the playoffs or come very close. That team had a much better defense and goaltender for sure and was significantly older, they were pretty much built to win right away.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Best pick up was Osgood. Free

Then because we can't keep our hands out of our pants we trade him for Justin papineau

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
2001's team was pretty similar in the fact that they added key players in a short span and went from worst to almost first. This team is deeper on offense, 2001 had a slightly better d corps and a bonafide #1 cup winning goalie in Osgood.

This years team has a much better core of young talent, and didn't part with any of it to strengthen the team. 2001 team was good, but this team should take it to the next level for years to come.

Wow... yeah... do you guys remember how awesome our D played that year?

Aucoin, Jonsson, Hamrlik and one of our long-time favorites: Radek Martinek!

We started 11-1-1-1... It was nice feeling like we were actually contenders..

I don't think our D corp is as good as the 01-02 team but I think up front we're better.. Yashin was good, Peca was good, Parrish was pretty good too but other than that I don't remember anyone doing much.. this year with JT, KO, Grabovski, Strome, Nelson, Nielsen and hopefully even some guys like Grabner, Bailey and Kuelemin can chip in... plus our checkers (I feel) are better but maybe I just don't remember those guys as well... Bates was good tho.. but I like this group of forwards way better..

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
2001/2002 was probably the better of the 2 teams. The defense was stacked. Jonsson/Hamrlik/Aucoin were all top pairing defensemen at the time. Yashin had a strong year, Peca was awesome, Parrish was good down low, Osgood was....well he was Osgood. Defensively we were awesome, especially with Peca out there.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
2001: Alexei Yashin, Mike Peca, Adrian Aucoin, Garth Snow, Chris Osgood, Shawn Bates, Radek Martinek

2014: Grabovski, Kulemin, Conacher, Halak, Johnson, Boychuk, Leddy, Reihardt

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
2001: Alexei Yashin, Mike Peca, Adrian Aucoin, Garth Snow, Chris Osgood, Shawn Bates, Radek Martinek

2014: Grabovski, Kulemin, Conacher, Halak, Johnson, Boychuk, Leddy, Reihardt

The 2014 team without any additions is much better than the 2001 team without any additions.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Just a quick comparison of the two rosters for reference (using the opening night roster for both teams from Hockey-reference.com)

2001-02

G - C.Osgood
G - G.Snow
D - A.Aucoin
D - E.Cairns
D - K.Haller
D - R.Hamrlik
D - K.Jonsson
D - M.Kiprusoff
D - R.Martinek
F - S.Bates
F - J.Blake
F - M.Czerkawski
F - B.Isbister
F - O.Kvasha
F - C.Lapointe
F - M.Lindgren
F - M.Parrish
F - M.Peca
F - D.Scatchard
F - A.Yashin

(Extras used that year but not lineup: K.Miller, D.Tarnstrom, S.Webb, J.Kolnik, B.Mezei)

2014-15

G - J.Halak
G - C.Johnson
D - J.Boychuk
D - T.Hamonic
D - T.Hickey
D - N.Leddy
D - G.Reinhart
D - B.Strait
F - J.Bailey
F - C.Cizikas
F - C.Clutterbuck
F - C.Conacher
F - M.Grabovski
F - N.Kulemin
F - M.Martin
F - B.Nelson
F - F.Nielsen
F - K.Okposo
F - R.Strome
F - J.Tavares

(Extras not in lineup: L.Visnovsky, C.DeHaan, M.Grabner, M.Carkner, A.Lee, E.Boulton)

The top end of the D in 2001 is far more solid (Aucoin, Jonsson, Hamrlik) vs (Boychuk, Hamonic) however the lower tear is weaker than 2014 (Haller, Kiprusoff, Martinek, Cairns) vs (Reinhart, Strait, Leddy, Hickey) especially when you factor in DeHaan and Vis missing from this year's lineup. Forwards are pretty close, a lot more youth in this year's lineup....

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
This is something I've been thinkng of a lot lately. Comparing linups player for player, this is how I see it. (I've moved some guys around positionally to make for better comparisons)

Conacher=Isbister - Tavares>>>>>Yashin - Okposo>>>>>Czerkawski
Gabovski>>Bates – Nelson<Peca – Strome=Parrish
Bailey>Lindgren/Miller – Nielsen>Scatchard - Kulemin>>Kvasha
Cizikas=Blake - Clutterbuck>>Lapointe - Martin>>Webb
ex: Lee=Hunter, McDonald=Kolnik, Boulton=Cummins

de Haan<<Jonsson - Boychuk>Aucoin
Leddy=Martinek- Hamonic=Hamrlik
Hickey>Tarnstrom - Carkner<Cairns
ex: Reinhart>>Mezei, Donovan=Kiprusoff, Pulock>>>Sutton

Halak=Osgood
Johnson<Snow

Overall, significantly better forward line up, IMO. Top three on defense isn't quite as good, but overall defensive depth is better, especially given Martinek's frailty. Goalies are very close, but I gave the 2001 team the nod, as Snow's experience put him over Johnson, at least at this stage in Johnson's career.

Overall, I think this team is better. And most importantly, we have a much brighter pipeline to continue adding to the team in the coming years.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
This is something I've been thinkng of a lot lately. Comparing linups player for player, this is how I see it. (I've moved some guys around positionally to make for better comparisons)

Conacher=Isbister - Tavares>>>>>Yashin - Okposo>>>>>Czerkawski
Gabovski>>Bates – Nelson<Peca – Strome=Parrish
Bailey>Lindgren/Miller – Nielsen>Scatchard - Kulemin>>Kvasha
Cizikas=Blake - Clutterbuck>>Lapointe - Martin>>Webb
ex: Lee=Hunter, McDonald=Kolnik, Boulton=Cummins

de Haan<<Jonsson - Boychuk>Aucoin
Leddy=Martinek- Hamonic=Hamrlik
Hickey>Tarnstrom - Carkner<Cairns
ex: Reinhart>>Mezei, Donovan=Kiprusoff, Pulock>>>Sutton

Halak=Osgood
Johnson<Snow

Overall, significantly better forward line up, IMO. Top three on defense isn't quite as good, but overall defensive depth is better, especially given Martinek's frailty. Goalies are very close, but I gave the 2001 team the nod, as Snow's experience put him over Johnson, at least at this stage in Johnson's career.

Overall, I think this team is better. And most importantly, we have a much brighter pipeline to continue adding to the team in the coming years.

No way Boychuk was better than Adrian Aucoin. Not that close either. Aucoin was the best defenseman on the team imo and his ice time proves it.

Nielsen >> Scatchard.

Attachments

• Aucoin.PNG
    Aucoin.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
No way Boychuk was better than Adrian Aucoin. Not that close either. Aucoin was the best defenseman on the team imo and his ice time proves it.

Nielsen >> Scatchard.

I disagree, Boychuk's shot is every bit as good as Aucoin's, and Boychuk is more mobile, more physical, and just better all around defensively. I'll give you Aucoin's ability to eat minutes, but IMO, it doesn't make up the gap, especially since with the deeper defense, we have this year, we wouldn't need Aucoin or Boyhuk to play 30 minutes a game.

On Nielsen vs Scatch, it's arguable I should've put more >'s in there, but felt that Sctachard's physical play, toughness and faceoff ability made it close.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I disagree, Boychuk's shot is every bit as good as Aucoin's, and Boychuk is more mobile, more physical, and just better all around defensively. I'll give you Aucoin's ability to eat minutes, but IMO, it doesn't make up the gap, especially since with the deeper defense, we have this year, we wouldn't need Aucoin or Boyhuk to play 30 minutes a game.

On Nielsen vs Scatch, it's arguable I should've put more >'s in there, but felt that Sctachard's physical play, toughness and faceoff ability made it close.

The only thing I agree with is being more physical, that's it.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009

Disagree with Nielsen > Scatchard or even >>. I think it should be =. They didn't bring the same things to the position, but as 3rd line centers they were/are solid. Both have/had a point range to at least 45. Scatch was more physical even though he wasn't as durable as Frans, but as a checking line Center he played his part well. I don't see how they wouldn't be consider =

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Disagree with Nielsen > Scatchard or even >>. I think it should be =. They didn't bring the same things to the position, but as 3rd line centers they were/are solid. Both have/had a point range to at least 45. Scatch was more physical even though he wasn't as durable as Frans, but as a checking line Center he played his part well. I don't see how they wouldn't be consider =

Nielsen puts up more points, is better on special teams, and overall is as good defensively. Scatchard was the better goal scorer, faceoffs, physical play and toughness. At ES alone I'd probably put them even (or at least it's close enough to call it that), but Nielsen's special teams work gives him the edge, IMO.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Biggest difference: This club has a future, that one did not.

Sort of.... I mean if we travel back to 2001.... the following season The Islanders finally got their own AHL team with a brand new arena. That team went all the way to the Calder Cup Finals behind a Stud future star goalie and #1 overall pick Rick DiPietro who was only 20 years old at the time.

Trent Hunter was scoring 30 goals in the AHL. Raffi Torres was a top 5 pick at age 19 and was leveling grown men and producing points in the playoff run (AHL),Branislav Mezei was looking strong. Jason Krog was a point per game player in the regular season and playoffs. Justin Mapletoft, Juraj Kolnik showed flashes in the AHL. The future sort of looked pretty bright back then too. It got cloudy real quick.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Sort of.... I mean if we travel back to 2001.... the following season The Islanders finally got their own AHL team with a brand new arena. That team went all the way to the Calder Cup Finals behind a Stud future star goalie and #1 overall pick Rick DiPietro who was only 20 years old at the time.

Trent Hunter was scoring 30 goals in the AHL. Raffi Torres was a top 5 pick at age 19 and was leveling grown men and producing points in the playoff run (AHL),Branislav Mezei was looking strong. Jason Krog was a point per game player in the regular season and playoffs. Justin Mapletoft, Juraj Kolnik showed flashes in the AHL. The future sort of looked pretty bright back then too. It got cloudy real quick.

My reasons why:

There is a night and day difference between the prospect pool now and then, and much of that reason is due to my number 1 reason why I say we had no future as opposed to now:

1. Michael ******** Milbury. I'll grow boobs on my head before he ever brings home a Stanley Cup team.

2. Charles "Hockey for Dummies" Wang. Chuckles started the show by keeping Milbury in place... kind of says everything you need to know about any predictions I may have made back then about our future.

3. Luongo is a bad goaltender. The organization's smarts on display right there.

4. Go with Rick because of one (1) tournament. I could almost respect that if it wasn't for his being such an uncontrollable twit much of his early career. If Mike Smith was a better goaltender but still subject to acting like a mental patient I'd call him Ricky's long lost twin.

5. Yashin. I am in "that" camp. I always was and never wavered. You don't build a winner around a tin man.

6. The Prospect Pool, aka, the coin dish for laundry. I have zero respect for any club that treats it's farm with as much contempt as Milbury did. Did he coin the phrase "sweetener?"

And what's the best we did? We got beaten up by the oldest wing in hockey and a sideshow freak. The only guy who retaliated worth a fig was Webb. Just sad. There was little unity on that bench and the divisions in the locker room showed on the ice IMO.

So no, I never ever ever ever ever ever EVER thought that club was going anywhere. That doesn't mean I didn't like some of the players, but it was poorly constructed, and when your farm system is simply a launching pad for trade bombs well, I know you guys respect a development pool as much if not more than I do. I don't want to preach to the choir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad