Post-Game Talk: 20 years and counting

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah, why even bother to ask about Helm and DDK being on the ice for the 3on3, right?
Considering his comments on AA, it always feels like having double standards.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, why even bother to ask about Helm and DDK being on the ice for the 3on3, right?
Considering his comments on AA, it always feels like having double standards.

3 on 3 is pretty gimmicky. I don't think the strategies should be that closely scrutinized. Helm has, for all my vocal displeasure over his contract, consistently been a top forward for the Wings so far. I get it.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I love how AA has to play better or he'll get benched but players like Zetterberg, Dekeyser, Miller, Sheahan have free passes to do nothing and play badly for long stretches and nothing ever happpens.

Oct 18, 2006
I love how AA has to play better or he'll get benched but players like Zetterberg, Dekeyser, Miller, Sheahan have free passes to do nothing and play badly for long stretches and nothing ever happpens.
Yes indeed. Sheahan is no longer a rookie, he can do what he likes now. Free passes once you're established. But let's beat up on the rookie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Positives:

Wings best 3 players last night:

- Larkin's one-man coast-to-coast zone-entries which will end to scoring chance. Most beuatiful things in hockey
- Abdelkader had his best game of the season including World cup. It was time to wake up.
- Athanasiou "snake-reach" puck control, then fooling Neuvirth with selling a pass.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Easy to call out the rookie. It's the organizations motivational tool of choice for Mantha, too. But to cross the organizations favorites? Not sure they'd like that. Babcock had the clout to get away with it, and even he kept tight lipped about vets.

I don't think "calling out" in the media has any purpose anyway. The candid discussions hopefully happen behind closed doors.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
DeKeyser and Mrazek are the jokes. Helm won the puck to Larkin, then after getting stripped by Voracek he wins it again, back to Danny boy and off the ice. Asshat DD shoots a pass at Nyquist's ankles causing the 2 on 1. Mrazek's read and flop on the Voracek one-timer was so juvenile and moronic. Howard would have had that.

Joke ending to an otherwise decent game from the Wings.

This, but in a serious way.

I think DD has not been very good this year. Maybe he's been strong in the defensive zone but if we are relying on him to move the puck with any kind of offensive instinct, we're in trouble. That pass in OT was just horrendous. I would rather see the wings roll 3 forwards then see him out there in OT, ever.

Mrazek played that so bad. 2 on 1 in OT, you see the sauce pass, you just move over and commit to the 1-timer. If it goes back on a give and go, that's on the dman. But you need to do your job and save that one. He didnt. You HAVE TO go to Howard on Friday, you have to.

This team once again cannot keep their foot on the gas pedal at all.

Also, in OT 3on3, why in the F do you roll hank out there for a skating man's situation? Thats the most asinine thing to do and it showed. Blash in those situations should almost only roll AA, Helm, Nyquist, Nielsen, maybe Tatar, Vanek. Having a forward who is slow as piss out there will only create problems. And i say maybe Tatar because, frankly, im sick of the fancy stickhandling **** that leads to turnovers or coughing the puck up.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
why is sproul being benched?

our coaching is not very good at the moment

the idea that a first year player needs to sit from time to time is a made up lie, otherwise mathews would sit every 3rd game and mcdavid would have only played half the # he did last year

the rule either applies or it dosent

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I think it's official for me, unless he improves significantly Dekeyser is going to be the player I'm complaining about all season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Harsh on AA. Liking the guy less and less.

he is a puppet

its a country club within this organization

how dare he say what he said about AA given how disgusting guys like helm, miller, dekeyser, zetterberg and sheahan have played almost every game of the year thus far

do NOT ever blame or put undo pressure on rookies and kids, the buck falls on veterans and your HIGHEST paid players first

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This, but in a serious way.

I think DD has not been very good this year. Maybe he's been strong in the defensive zone but if we are relying on him to move the puck with any kind of offensive instinct, we're in trouble. That pass in OT was just horrendous. I would rather see the wings roll 3 forwards then see him out there in OT, ever.

Mrazek played that so bad. 2 on 1 in OT, you see the sauce pass, you just move over and commit to the 1-timer. If it goes back on a give and go, that's on the dman. But you need to do your job and save that one. He didnt. You HAVE TO go to Howard on Friday, you have to.

This team once again cannot keep their foot on the gas pedal at all.

Also, in OT 3on3, why in the F do you roll hank out there for a skating man's situation? Thats the most asinine thing to do and it showed. Blash in those situations should almost only roll AA, Helm, Nyquist, Nielsen, maybe Tatar, Vanek. Having a forward who is slow as piss out there will only create problems. And i say maybe Tatar because, frankly, im sick of the fancy stickhandling **** that leads to turnovers or coughing the puck up.

Zetterberg should be benched for the entire 3 on 3. Its ridiculous that he was the first one on the ice.

I think there is some truth to the fact that Zetterberg runs the team. Did you hear his comments after the previous loss? Z said something to the effect of "I didn't have my players prepared enough for this game" and Blashill's response was "i appreciate the sentiment but it's not Zetterberg's job to do that. It's mine."

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Zetterberg should be benched for the entire 3 on 3. Its ridiculous that he was the first one on the ice.

I think there is some truth to the fact that Zetterberg runs the team. Did you hear his comments after the previous loss? Z said something to the effect of "I didn't have my players prepared enough for this game" and Blashill's response was "i appreciate the sentiment but it's not Zetterberg's job to do that. It's mine."

Tells me that Z doesn't have much confidence in the coach, yet the coach still has a ton of confidence in Z even though he can't do it anymore. The fact that Z still is playing almost 20 minutes a night tells us that this team has no one to play those minutes and Blashill has zero confidence in the younger kids.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nielsen, Larkin, and Nyquist are the 3 forwards that should be getting the most ice time, IMO

Oct 18, 2006
Tells me that Z doesn't have much confidence in the coach, yet the coach still has a ton of confidence in Z even though he can't do it anymore. The fact that Z still is playing almost 20 minutes a night tells us that this team has no one to play those minutes and Blashill has zero confidence in the younger kids.
I can't express how disappointing this is, because I legitimately thought this would be the biggest positive change after Babs. Turns out nothing has changed, the kids are still the scapegoats and first to sit if things go wrong.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I can't express how disappointing this is, because I legitimately thought this would be the biggest positive change after Babs. Turns out nothing has changed, the kids are still the scapegoats and first to sit if things go wrong.

I wanted/hoped for the kids to get more ice time but they also have to play better. Tatar and Nyquist have not taken that extra step. Larkin's having (the expected) learning curve of playing center in the NHL. Sheahan hasn't progressed. I don't really get the unconditional love for AA right now.

Maybe they'd up their games with more responsibility, but that's not the easiest leap of faith to make when you're trying to win games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wanted/hoped for the kids to get more ice time but they also have to play better. Tatar and Nyquist have not taken that extra step. Larkin's having (the expected) learning curve of playing center in the NHL. Sheahan hasn't progressed. I don't really get the unconditional love for AA right now.

Maybe they'd up their games with more responsibility, but that's not the easiest leap of faith to make when you're trying to win games.

Nyquist has been phenomenal this year.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Goalie interference or not, horrible decision making by Nielsen on that GTG.

And that is exactly why you don't put offensively challenged players like Helm and DD on ice during 3-on-3 play.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
New strategy: crash the net and don't stop if you feel someone touch you.

Either way, that overtime was pathetic. Had decent possession of the puck, but did just about nothing with it, while Philly capitalized on their first chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad