Post-Game Talk: 20 years and counting

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Another blown lead is so frustrating. I really don't like their approach to persevering a lead. Its like they have zero confidence with a lead which is quite troubling. I'd like to see this team continue to push the pace with a lead rather than sitting back.

why is sproul being benched?

our coaching is not very good at the moment

the idea that a first year player needs to sit from time to time is a made up lie, otherwise mathews would sit every 3rd game and mcdavid would have only played half the # he did last year

the rule either applies or it dosent

No, you don't apply the same rules to McDavid/Mathews and Sproul.

Zetterberg should be benched for the entire 3 on 3. Its ridiculous that he was the first one on the ice.

I think there is some truth to the fact that Zetterberg runs the team. Did you hear his comments after the previous loss? Z said something to the effect of "I didn't have my players prepared enough for this game" and Blashill's response was "i appreciate the sentiment but it's not Zetterberg's job to do that. It's mine."

Players taking ownership for the outcomes is something we should strive for, not condemn. This is exactly the attitude that needs to be passed on to the kids.

Nielsen has not had a good start to this season.

By what measure? His points/game are on pace with his career numbers, he has done okay defensively while playing the toughest match ups for this team, and has increased team speed down the middle. He needs to improve with his faceoffs and tighten up defensively but many FAs need time to adjust to their new surroundings and systems. I am not really concerned about his start; I'm looking for some small tweaks rather than big changes in his game.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just saw on twitter that over the last 3 seasons when playing with the lead Miller and Glendening have the worst GF/60 and worst GA/60 on the team.

Maybe we shouldn't be relying on these bums to hold leads? Just a thought.

Glendening -2 and 20% FO wins last night! Hundreds or thousands of fans probably shuddered with he and Miller out there that last shift. Like Frk It said, it's got to be stubbornness on the part of coaching.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Glendening -2 and 20% FO wins last night! Hundreds or thousands of fans probably shuddered with he and Miller out there that last shift. Like Frk It said, it's got to be stubbornness on the part of coaching.

To be fair...Giroux is no slouch in the circle....

Speaking of the last faceoff before the tying goal. Not even sure if it was Glendenning/Giroux

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Another blown lead is so frustrating. I really don't like their approach to persevering a lead. Its like they have zero confidence with a lead which is quite troubling. I'd like to see this team continue to push the pace with a lead rather than sitting back.

No, you don't apply the same rules to McDavid/Mathews and Sproul.

sorry but people defended it by saying young players dont or shouldnt play every game(it was the b2b when he first sat) as they cant cope or handle it

that rule should apply across the board if thats the reason, talent and ability were not mentioned

what was the reason sproul sat?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
sorry but people defended it by saying young players dont or shouldnt play every game(it was the b2b when he first sat) as they cant cope or handle it

that rule should apply across the board if thats the reason, talent and ability were not mentioned

what was the reason sproul sat?

I can provide my own interpretation but that's aside from the fact that the "rules" really do change for the outliers (aka Mathews/McDavid). Different context, but Holland has been on record saying he wouldn't worry about a players defense if he can score 60 goals in a season.

Anyway, to answer your question, both (XO and Sproul) are young players and both need to be getting minutes to further their development. Additionally, while they have different strengths neither has truly separated them-self from the other. I believe Sproul sitting was just part of the rotation. I personally would rather Sproul play but I understand the rational of ensuring both get games.

Some have proposed that Marchenko should be in that rotation as well, I wouldn't argue against such a proposal, however, I think he has been pretty solid since the first two games down in Florida.

Beyond that, I personally believe their is SOME value in watching the games. Be it your own footage, or some time in the pressbox watching the game from above, these guys can still learn while not playing. I emphasized some, because they clearly won't get better just by watching but sometimes playing a few then watching from a different perspective can help these guys understand the coaching better.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Another loss in Philly, What a surprise lose in OT. And now have Winnipeg Friday and Edmonton Sunday at the Joe this team needs to start playing like they did on the 6 game winning streak. Really need to play better here.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Another blown lead is so frustrating. I really don't like their approach to persevering a lead. Its like they have zero confidence with a lead which is quite troubling. I'd like to see this team continue to push the pace with a lead rather than sitting back...

Hmm. At the time in the 3rd period I was thinking the opposite. I was enjoying that the pace was kept high and offense/D weren't just sitting back, instead continuing to push. I think the terrible habit of trying to hold a 1 goal lead for 1/2 the game goes back to the Babcock years (2011-2015). It was much worse then, though old habits are hard to break.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Besides the loss any members satisfied with the game and the Wings performance in general? I was certainly relieved they were much better than vs. Boston and Florida. Very good playmaking and carrying the momentum for chunks of time. The forecheck was effective pressuring Philly. Flyers improved as the game went on. I imagine the national viewers were not disappointed in the quality overall.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Besides the loss any members satisfied with the game and the Wings performance in general? I was certainly relieved they were much better than vs. Boston and Florida. Very good playmaking and carrying the momentum for chunks of time. The forecheck was effective pressuring Philly. Flyers improved as the game went on. I imagine the national viewers were not disappointed in the quality overall.

I'd say we were the better team about 45% of the game.

Still, we were gifted a goal from AA. That doesn't go in 99% of the time. Apparently our GF% is significantly higher than our xGF%. Which is another way of saying we're getting a bit lucky.

As before, all signs point to regression. We're seeing that play out now.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Ship Dekeyser's ass out immediately. What has happened to this guy? I remember him before the hand/thumb injury, he was great. Since then, he has fallen off and keeps on falling IMO.

Also, WTF is Blashill thinking with this shell hockey garbage. We saw it HOW MANY times last year? We can't close out a game. Stop playing stupid shell hockey. Hemming the other team in their zone or SCORING A GOAL is a better way to win than playing the last 13 minutes in YOUR OWN END. What an idiot. Chicago closes out games by scoring 2 more goals. Not letting Danny Dekeyser and Marchenko stink the joint up and blow it.

Overtime? Why is Zetterberg out there. I love Z. He is a VERY smart player, he can pass well. But he is SLOW and 3 on 3 is all about speed. He is effective shielding off defenders in tight spaces and feeding through seems.

Helm not shooting:laugh::laugh::laugh:. He had multiple times to attempt a shot, hell even slide it back over to Larkin. Instead he hangs on to it and gets stripped.

Dekeyser??? Do you know the goalie takes the shot and you take the pass. He backed in, backed in, backed in, and was WAYYYY too deep to stop that pass. Not even close. Just terrible.

As for Mrazek. His cinderella run is coming to an end in my books. He is the streakiest guy alive, but his hot streaks come one for every 3 cold streaks at this point. We need to ride Jimmy and get early points while teams are still figuring **** out. It's going to sink us.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I love how AA has to play better or he'll get benched but players like Zetterberg, Dekeyser, Miller, Sheahan have free passes to do nothing and play badly for long stretches and nothing ever happpens.

It seems pretty obvious he doesn't want Athanasiou on the team. This is the second year in a row he's cut his minutes as the Wings blow leads. Holland needs to trade Athanasiou and get some value in return. He ain't gonna do much in Detroit with the current coaching regime.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It seems pretty obvious he doesn't want Athanasiou on the team. This is the second year in a row he's cut his minutes as the Wings blow leads. Holland needs to trade Athanasiou and get some value in return. He ain't gonna do much in Detroit with the current coaching regime.
?????

No one is forcing Blash to have AA on the team. He could have gone with Frk, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Nosek.. pretty obvious Blash wants AA on the team almost no matter what.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
?????

No one is forcing Blash to have AA on the team. He could have gone with Frk, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Nosek.. pretty obvious Blash wants AA on the team almost no matter what.

Fortunately I am not that naive when it comes to Blashill's decisions. He is icing a line of Glendening, Miller and Ott that is by any advanced stat measure the WORST LINE IN THE LEAGUE. You can literally throw any combination of forwards together on a line and it will not be worse than the Glendening, Miller and Ott line.

Blashill continues to play them together which tells you quite a bit about his coaching acumen. And Holland is responsible as well. He won't waive Ott, Miller or Glendening to bring up scoring help to offset the loss of Vanek. Holland clearly has no real motivation to do much beyond load the roster with guys well past their prime and eat up all the cap space with guys who either are on their last legs or can no longer play the game and are paid to sit on LTIR until their contracts expire.

So I don't buy for a minute that Athanasiou doesn't deserve ice time when Blashill willingly puts the worst line in the NHL on the ice every single night. :shakehead

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not the "worst line in the league" because corsi said so, there's context behind it.
AA is already seeing 133% of his minutes last year and over the last 4 games he's seen a significant increase in ice time - over 14.5 minutes per game. That's more than Sheahan has seen in the same span

They really do need to bring up Mantha and slot Sheahan down to the fourth line, with ABBY joining him for Vanek. Holy jumpin' that's 4 solid lines boy.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It's not the "worst line in the league" because corsi said so, there's context behind it.
AA is already seeing 133% of his minutes last year and over the last 4 games he's seen a significant increase in ice time - over 14.5 minutes per game. That's more than Sheahan has seen in the same span

They really do need to bring up Mantha and slot Sheahan down to the fourth line, with ABBY joining him for Vanek. Holy jumpin' that's 4 solid lines boy.

Glendening, Sheahan, Abby would be a solid 4th line with an identity and one that might even pot you a few goals. Big guys who might actually wear you down. Miller is like 150 pounds soaking wet. He ain't wearing anyone down.

AA's minutes are fine. I do seem to see him a lot more on the ice than last season. I'm still a bit salty about the OT usage though. That's where he should be used the most. OT is a speed and possession game more than regulation. Why aren't we using our fastest players?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Lots of people defended the Ott signing by saying they'd waive him if necessary. Well it hasn't happened and scoring has dried up. Vanek is week to week not day to day. This is exactly why many of us complained when Ott was signed.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

there is something Blashill has against AA. it sucks.

Not so fast....

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not so fast....

He was pointing out that AA's minutes get cut when we have a lead. It has nothing to do with AA being on the PP. Blash went with 2 defensemen on the points on our pp when we took the lead. We need to get out of that "playing safe" mentality and keep the pressure.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Glendening, Sheahan, Abby would be a solid 4th line with an identity and one that might even pot you a few goals. Big guys who might actually wear you down. Miller is like 150 pounds soaking wet. He ain't wearing anyone down.

AA's minutes are fine. I do seem to see him a lot more on the ice than last season. I'm still a bit salty about the OT usage though. That's where he should be used the most. OT is a speed and possession game more than regulation. Why aren't we using our fastest players?

The following is what I'd like to see in OT. Glendening taking the faceoff and Larkin as the other forward. If we win the faceoff, Gleny goes off for AA. If we lose the faceoff, hes one of our better defensive players. Win win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad