Post-Game Talk: #20| FLYERS at Islanders| Mon., Nov. 24, 2014

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Coots and Read are being asked to play roles right now that they are clearly not able to right now.

And my argument stands...same with Coburn.....even more so if you ask me. Just look at the poo crew back there he is forced to anchor...sad!

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
This team is SO slow.

"Hey Evander, it's Ron Hextall"

uheR4pgbHnBTDknFrkCc98QvTa3m3-vSk1Xc0ICC_VpDhxyQyCEXeaeGiqhAnFss1IlBO1kqlqkYUuX3jOPGAU46vByYL0f6XTpYS21PK5rXfI_q_CGbsD6U6acSRgK5U29KES_NykH4qns3n_gn7nYlhGFoAcmpWN-C3A=w618-h408-nc

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
PEB isn't as good as Read right now, he's still adjusting to the smaller rinks, he holds the puck too long and gets stripped because he underestimates how fast NFL players can get to you. And he's a center, so the natural wing or converted center with similar skills?

Read gets more minutes than Schenn or Simmonds because they don't play the PK.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I've never liked the idea of Simmonds on Couturier and Read's line. Simmonds looks out of place a lot of places he plays at even strength. Really the only place Simmonds has looked good at ES was as 1LW.

Schenn on the other hand has looked good at both 1 and 2 LW. I don't know why we don't go back to playing him on Couturier's wing.

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Laughton - PEB
Umberger - VL - Rinaldo

It's because Simmonds on the left wasn't working with G and Jake. Simmonds in general has just looked terrible on the left wing.

If they're not going to break up Giroux and Voracek (not saying I want them to) they should try Read on the left with them and but Simmonds with Schenn and Couturier.

MadFerIt95*

This is ridiculous. They would slide in right behind Giroux. Wingers are nice, but centers still dominate the game.

We already have Giroux, Coots- and now Laughton. Wingers are definitely a bigger need for us right now than Centers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We already have Giroux, Coots- and now Laughton. Wingers are definitely a bigger need for us right now than Centers.

You draft BPA not need. Your needs are always changing. Giroux's going to be approaching 30 soon so who knows what he will be like then. Couturier & Laughton are pretty questionable as second line centers right now let alone anything greater than that. If a center is the BPA the Flyers should take them.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You draft BPA not need. Your needs are always changing. Giroux's going to be approaching 30 soon so who knows what he will be like then. Couturier & Laughton are pretty questionable as second line centers right now let alone anything greater than that. If a center is the BPA the Flyers should take them.

I agree. IF worst comes to worst laughton is fast enough to play wing and coots could be a solid 3rd line center. Just look at all the teams that need centers, center is always a safe position to draft.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree. IF worst comes to worst laughton is fast enough to play wing and coots could be a solid 3rd line center. Just look at all the teams that need centers, center is always a safe position to draft.

I would hate to miss out on guys like Strome, Marner, Zacha, etc. let lone McDavid or Eichel because we reached to draft a need on our roster now.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It's because Simmonds on the left wasn't working with G and Jake. Simmonds in general has just looked terrible on the left wing.

If they're not going to break up Giroux and Voracek (not saying I want them to) they should try Read on the left with them and but Simmonds with Schenn and Couturier.

Simmonds hasn't been awful, he's just not getting much support at even strength from his linemates. I'm really starting to think the usage of Read and Couturier the last couple of years has had a negative impact on them. Read looks like a guy that's already breaking down. He's noticeably slower, and he's a guy that can't afford to lose his speed at his size.

I'm also concerned that Couturier's offensive development has been seriously hindered. Offensive production has been so secondary for him since entering the league that now he looks like he's lost when asked to be the secondary scoring threat behind Giroux. His key developmental years were spent playing as the team's makeshift number one defenseman. I still think he's the type of guy that can grind out 50 point seasons because his hockey IQ is so good, but I'm afraid that we're never going to see Couturier develop into a 60+ point beast that we were all expecting coming out of the Penguins series in 2011-2012.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even with Read struggling, who is a better two way forward on the team besides maybe Voracek?

I would move Raffl up to play with Couturier and Simmonds, and let Read get easier & fewer ES minutes with Laughton and Lecavalier for a while.

Umberger drops to the 4th line. If the coach/GM had balls they should go the whole hog and do this:

BSchenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Simmonds
Bellemare-Laughton-Read
Rinaldo-Lecavalier-Umberger

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A 6'4'' Skilled center? Looking like the 3rd pick.

He's had some trouble adjusting to the OHL thus far so he's fallen a bit. He's actually currently serving his second suspension. The talent is there & he's doing enough to still be a top 15 pick but people want to see more out of him. It's early though he still has time to turn it around.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It's completely unacceptable that so many players are not turning up every single night. You expect your fourth line to not weigh in much but it's literally the case that if the top line doesn't score, the Flyers don't score. We have five players who are worth their weight offensively, and Simmonds barely deserves to be there lately. Read and Umberger in particular are a complete waste of space.

Then you look at the defence, if that's what you can call it. There's 30 shots going in every night and we've got the worst penalty kill in the league. There's a collection of professional millionaires backs there who should be ashamed of themselves.

Then the coach, the man who's turned a talented group of forwards and a moderate group of defensemen into a bottom 10 (7?) team.

So, so many people deserve to lose their jobs. If I performed this badly for this long at work then I'd be out of a job. If only it were possibly to hit them where it hurts, their pocket.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Because everyone knows that there's zero comparison there. Zero.

It's not a comparison. It's being impartial and observant without letting bias get in the way.

I don't like vinnny the player but if he has a good shift Ill say it. Coots Who i love , has looked really bad as of late and ive commented as such.

There is no comparsion but if someone is playing bad and no one says a thing it seems very Fanboyish to me.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
C'mon, Couts is 21. We need to be patient with these young guys. People have been ready to ship Schenn out for the past couple seasons, but now that he's playing well those same people have shut up.

Most guys at Couts' age have barely cracked the NHL. I'd like to give him at least 2 more seasons to get his offensive groove.

Especially when Simmonds and Read have been trash at even strength too. Those are the two we should be most worried about. They're in their prime and are producing jack ****. People like to blame Vinny and Umberger, and they have been terrible, but we knew what we were getting with them for the most part. What about Read and Simmonds? They've been playing awful and so far have fallen way short of expectations.

Simmonds may have 14 points, but 8 are because he's on the top PP and most of them came in the first couple games. He's done nothing for the past dozen games or so. And we know how bad Read has been. These guys are supposed to be our reliable top 6 forwards.

Simmonds and Read should be the ones providing the secondary scoring, and so far they're not. It's just G + Jake and our top powerplay unit.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It's not a comparison. It's being impartial and observant without letting bias get in the way.

I don't like vinnny the player but if he has a good shift Ill say it. Coots Who i love , has looked really bad as of late and ive commented as such.

There is no comparsion but if someone is playing bad and no one says a thing it seems very Fanboyish to me.

I think people would be more than willing to say Coots has not been playing great the last ~10 games or so, but others are going way over board in the criticisms.

He's nowhere near the uselessness level that Vinny and Umberger are at right now.

Coots play is not helping much right now, but he is way down the list of things to correct.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
C'mon, Couts is 21. We need to be patient with these young guys. People have been ready to ship Schenn out for the past couple seasons, but now that he's playing well those same people have shut up.

Most guys at Couts' age have barely cracked the NHL. I'd like to give him at least 2 more seasons to get his offensive groove.

Especially when Simmonds and Read have been trash at even strength too. Those are the two we should be most worried about. They're in their prime and are producing jack ****. People like to blame Vinny and Umberger, and they have been terrible, but we knew what we were getting with them for the most part. What about Read and Simmonds? They've been playing awful and so far have fallen way short of expectations.

Simmonds may have 14 points, but 8 are because he's on the top PP and most of them came in the first couple games. He's done nothing for the past dozen games or so. And we know how bad Read has been. These guys are supposed to be our reliable top 6 forwards.

Read I will agree with. But Simmonds has never really been dominate at even strength, so him going through a cold spell isn't too surprising.

Read's play is a small notch below Vinny and Umberger in terms of hurting the team, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad