GDT: [#20] Dallas Stars @ New York Islanders, 12:00 PM CST (FS-SW)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This game will be perfect if Nichushkin scores off a nice pass from Heiskanen

I mean Gleason and Bayreuther still need first NHL goals. If we want to go really down the deep end i think Hanley hasn't scored in the NHL yet.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Radulov with 100 goals
Spezza with 900 points
Hintz with his first NHL goal
Bayreuther with his first NHL point
Lindell's first 2 goal game

Last edited:
Reactions: Dynamite Time

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You will NEVER and have never seen Brett Ritchie make a play as good as the one Gemel Smith just made to Heiskanen. Even against bad defending

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Lots of confirmation of my bias today:
- Ritchie scratched in favor of a bunch of AHL d-men
- Honka overtaken by a bunch of AHL d-men
- Stars score six, and Nichushkin can't even find a secondary assist

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

I feel for Val though. He has looked great consistently for several games now. The guy just can't finish at all and theres no telling when he will start/finish even 1. At least he has looked dangerous and created several opportunities though. Unfortunately others can't finish opportunities he generates either lol. He is much better than Honka and Ritchie and I'd take him easily over either of those guys.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I agree ouside of that . Val had a hand in the Hintz goal . Basically shielded Spezza to give him more time . He at least looks decent without hitting the scoresheet. Something you can't say about Ritchie.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I agree ouside of that . Val had a hand in the Hintz goal . Basically shielded Spezza to give him more time . He at least looks decent without hitting the scoresheet. Something you can't say about Ritchie.

He usually generates a few opportunities every game as well with his size, speed, and forechecking. Sucks he and the people he passes to can't always finish but I think once he gets one he could break free and score more consistently. He is doing just about everything right right now outside of finishing

I'd say outside of the Benn-Seguin-Radulov line, Val generates more chances than nearly every other forward we have

Reactions: Zapp

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
He’s been a solid top 6 complementary player. Not someone I’d really trust to drive the play, but he’s been good at enabling others.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The argument , that is quite correct , is that Ritchie is someone to be moderately useful needs to play infront of the net during a cicle game but since he's not good enough to sniff at top6 minutes he won't get those chances. 3rd and 4th line mostly get their chances off the rush and barely get any offensive zone starts so he's gone from meh to completely useless. Gemel Smith is a better fit for that type of 3rd/4rd line game. He creates something off the rush pretty much every game.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The argument , that is quite correct , is that Ritchie is someone to be moderately useful needs to play infront of the net during a cicle game but since he's not good enough to sniff at top6 minutes he won't get those chances. 3rd and 4th line mostly get their chances off the rush and barely get any offensive zone starts so he's gone from meh to completely useless. Gemel Smith is a better fit for that type of 3rd/4rd line game. He creates something off the rush pretty much every game.
Well, what sinks that argument is that every time Ritchie is given top six minutes, he does nothing with them. In today's NHL, the old concept of parking in front of the net to get garbage goals like Ciccarelli or Holmstrom just doesn't work any longer because goalies are so much better these days at absorbing shots or directing rebounds that the opportunities for those goals in the crease are far fewer than ever.

Planting Ritchie in the crease would only serve to have his linemates left shorthanded when otherwise fighting to maintain possession. And if the thought is Ritchie would go help in the corners as needed, well, then we're back to where we are now with the fact he's just too slow to be a productive forechecker or cycle guy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well, what sinks that argument is that every time Ritchie is given top six minutes, he does nothing with them. In today's NHL, the old concept of parking in front of the net to get garbage goals like Ciccarelli or Holmstrom just doesn't work any longer because goalies are so much better these days at absorbing shots or directing rebounds that the opportunities for those goals in the crease are far fewer than ever.

Planting Ritchie in the crease would only serve to have his linemates left shorthanded when otherwise fighting to maintain possession. And if the thought is Ritchie would go help in the corners as needed, well, then we're back to where we are now with the fact he's just too slow to be a productive forechecker or cycle guy.

I'm just saying thats how Ritchie would look at bit useful but since the team doesn't really play like that he's now completely useless on the Stars roster. He's not an energy guy or a skill player , doesn't kill penalties and on the Powerplay he's just has useless as he is at even strength . IRC he made the PP against the Bruins look even worse than it is without him.

His style of play just doesn't fit all that well in todays NHL . Not a fast enough skater , not skilled enough , his shooting release is too slow . All this muh hitting isn't making up for that . There's faster and better "tough" players in the league. I don't exactly love Blake Comeau but he's a good enough skater that he is somewhat effective.

There's a badge of forward prospects knocking on the door very soon and that should spell doom for Brett Ritchie here. Hope we can find a trade to get some asset out of him before he is let go but the way he's been playing that'd be something like a conditional 5th to 7th rounder ? And even for that you have to find someone who believes Brett Ritchie would be a fit.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I'm just saying thats how Ritchie would look at bit useful but since the team doesn't really play like that he's now completely useless on the Stars roster. He's not an energy guy or a skill player , doesn't kill penalties and on the Powerplay he's just has useless as he is at even strength . IRC he made the PP against the Bruins look even worse than it is without him.

His style of play just doesn't fit all that well in todays NHL . Not a fast enough skater , not skilled enough , his shooting release is too slow . All this muh hitting isn't making up for that . There's faster and better "tough" players in the league. I don't exactly love Blake Comeau but he's a good enough skater that he is somewhat effective.

There's a badge of forward prospects knocking on the door very soon and that should spell doom for Brett Ritchie here. Hope we can find a trade to get some asset out of him before he is let go but the way he's been playing that'd be something like a conditional 5th to 7th rounder ? And even for that you have to find someone who believes Brett Ritchie would be a fit.

Let's trade him to the Kings, they enjoy the slower pace players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad