Proposal: 2 trades - Van/Tampa and Van/Vegas

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Okay... If it is a lateral transaction then what are the Canucks getting for taking on Clarkson's deal? How are the Canucks "winning" this trade?

Do you think anyone available at 17 would be better than anyone the Canucks could acquire straight up for their 2021 1st next summer?

Benning would have to sell Aquilini on paying Clarkson's contract because he wanted to make a "lateral move". That's not happening, even the most hands off owner would say no to it.
Clarksons contract is insured. That's why it was originally moved for Horton who wasn't insured. Owner isn't on the hook for the money remaining.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Stone is a pure cap dump at this point even if he’s only a 3.5m cap hit. Hes worthless.
Which is why I’ve suggested 26 and Stone for Markstrom. Markstrom isn’t worth a 26th overall by himself, but Stone’s negative value brings that down enough it should be equal.
Canucks get a #7D, Flames get a #1 goalie

Stone does not have negative value. He's a slightly overpaid #5 dman with only one year left on his deal. Someone gives the Flames a late pick for him if they want to deal him. Unless we really need the space I bet we keep him as insurance.

No way we are giving up a 1st for Markstrom either.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
So over 11 million in cap space a season, next year's first and this year's third and DiPietro for the 17th and 27th overall picks?

Hard pass.

I don't think English has the words to describe how much I dislike this pair of trades.

Why?????

Cap space is not an issue for next season. All of this Canucks get an extra 1st round pick. I think it's safe to assume that Canucks will be in the middle of pack and that 2021 pick will be in the 13 to 20 range. With the Vegas trade they get a 1st round pick earlier. If Benning and scouting staffs get it right. We can have 2 solid young players in the lineup by 2021/2022 season. 3rd round Pick, 1st round 2021 and Dipietro. Most likely all those picks will not be in the nhl in 2021/2022 season.

This trade we also speed up the rebuild without sacrificing anything.

I failed to understand how both trades are bad.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Why?????

Cap space is not an issue for next season. All of this Canucks get an extra 1st round pick. I think it's safe to assume that Canucks will be in the middle of pack and that 2021 pick will be in the 13 to 20 range. With the Vegas trade they get a 1st round pick earlier. If Benning and scouting staffs get it right. We can have 2 solid young players in the lineup by 2021/2022 season. 3rd round Pick, 1st round 2021 and Dipietro. Most likely all those picks will not be in the nhl in 2021/2022 season.

This trade we also speed up the rebuild without sacrificing anything.

I failed to understand how both trades are bad.

We have not been in a recognizable rebuild.

The problem is that a borderline playoff first round pick, and contenders deeper playoff first round pick are not worth our first next year, a prospect and a later pick alone, let alone adding those contracts to the equation. If we are "rebuilding", our 2020 pick with give us a shot at Lafreniere, who will out class the pants out of 17 and 27 respectively.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
We have not been in a recognizable rebuild.

The problem is that a borderline playoff first round pick, and contenders deeper playoff first round pick are not worth our first next year, a prospect and a later pick alone, let alone adding those contracts to the equation. If we are "rebuilding", our 2020 pick with give us a shot at Lafreniere, who will out class the pants out of 17 and 27 respectively.

Read the first post in this thread. It's 2021 1st round pick and not 2020. Also it is top 5 protected as well. So I am guessing if it is a top 5 Pick, then the 1st round pick will be in 2022 is what the user had in mind.

By 2021 I think we will be in the middle of the pack.

So

2019 17th and 27th for the Canucks

vs

Dipietro 3rd round pick, 2021 or 2022 1st pick in the 15 to 18 range.

Those contracts Canucks are paying. Who cares, it has no impact on the Canucks. They won't be losing any good young players becuase of those contracts. You dont need to worry about it.

Canucks are pretty much buying a 1st round pick and borrowing another 1st round pick and giving one back 2 or 3 years later.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Read the first post in this thread. It's 2021 1st round pick and not 2020. Also it is top 5 protected as well. So I am guessing if it is a top 5 Pick, then the 1st round pick will be in 2022 is what the user had in mind.

By 2021 I think we will be in the middle of the pack.

So

2019 17th and 27th for the Canucks

vs

Dipietro 3rd round pick, 2021 or 2022 1st pick in the 15 to 18 range.

Those contracts Canucks are paying. Who cares, it has no impact on the Canucks. They won't be losing any good young players becuase of those contracts. You dont need to worry about it.

Canucks are pretty much buying a 1st round pick and borrowing another 1st round pick and giving one back 2 or 3 years later.

What you can't seem to grasp is that regardless of whether they need the cap space next year or not, the Canucks should be getting some form of compensation to take on those contracts. Cap space is an asset; even if you don't need it, you still don't just give it away to other teams. You either leverage it to get additional picks, or you find somebody who will make a better offer.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
What you can't seem to grasp is that regardless of whether they need the cap space next year or not, the Canucks should be getting some form of compensation to take on those contracts. Cap space is an asset; even if you don't need it, you still don't just give it away to other teams. You either leverage it to get additional picks, or you find somebody who will make a better offer.

Believe me, I totally grasp this. How are Canucks not getting any compensation?

We get to have Tampa 1st round pick for a low price. Goaltending prospects have hardly any value + a 3rd round Pick ( 3rd has like less 20% of becoming an nhl player) the first round pick has way higher value.

Vegas deal. Getting 1st round pick 2 or 3 years earlier is definitely compensation. You get speed up the rebuild without sacrificing the future.

These deals is similar to the Bickell Teravainen for a 2nd 3rd round pick. Don't tell me Carolina didn't get any compensation. The compensation was getting Teravainen at a cheap price

Would you rather do something like this 2nd round pick Callahan to Van for career ahl player? I rather do the original deal. 1st round pick has a way higher chance to become an nhl player than a 2nd round pick.

To me the Tampa deal. You are close to getting the 1st round pick almost for free. The salary, Dipietro 3rd round pick are minor pieces to pay for a 1st round pick. You are trading these minor parts thst are not so valuable and getting a valuable part in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00