Proposal: 2 trades - Van/Tampa and Van/Vegas

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Guys...…..Vancouver is rebuilding and offering help to those in need

Trade #1

Vegas trades 2019 1st (17th OA) + David Clarkson for Vancouver's 2021 1st (top 5 protected)

Trade #2

Tampa trades 2019 1st (27th OA) + Ryan Callahan for Vancouver's 2020 3rd + Mike DiPietro

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Trade #1

Vegas trades 2019 1st (17th OA) + David Clarkson for Vancouver's 2021 1st (top 5 protected)

Trade #2

Tampa trades 2019 1st (27th OA) + Ryan Callahan for Vancouver's 2020 3rd + Mike DiPietro

I’d probably do both. We’re they worse before and edited?

The way I see it is both Callahan and Clarkson only have 1 year left on their contracts, if we can litterally get three first round picks in this draft, tank one last season since cap space is limited, then go for the playoffs the year after.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Trade #1

Trade #2

Why are the Canucks taking Clarkson and giving up a first round pick to Vegas?

The Callahan deal may or may not be worthwhile depending on rooting interests.

Reactions: Nucks2477

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Why are the Canucks taking Clarkson and giving up a first round pick to Vegas?

The Callahan deal may or may not be worthwhile depending on rooting interests.

Fair Questions...…….here are my thoughts

First off both deals are for players that are only 1 year in duration...….there is no pain, as with longer term cap dumps.

In the end, what we want, are the very best players for the core to play with and possibly be an addition to the present core......

By making the trade with Vegas, we offer a fair deal for their 2019 1st, banking on the player we draft today at 17 OA, will be a core player in 3 years? Maybe 4. IMO drafting has come along way in a short time with analytics and better scouting. So, I look at it as a quick trade that puts more core players together all at one time. Where as if we wait 2 years, then draft a kid, we could be waiting 6 years from today before he contributes significantly...….

The trade with Tampa give us another pick late in the first, but gives us, 3 - 1st's for the very same reason as above......

IMO, we are nearing completion of our core and should now be adding depth, as not all players can be 22 to 25, our picks today, displace the UFA's that are or may be added the last couple of years......or this year, in 3/4 years

I disagree, with many posters that do not see value in our veterans.....our veterans, by and large have value, and can be moved if Benning isn't worrying about having no depth, so although none may be worth a 1st, some could be worth a 2nd if they are having a good year, and are healthy.

In regards to DiPietro, I think he is a good prospect, which can be replaced, if he already hasn't, using a 3rd Rounder this year, as most Goalies are slated to go that round, which is exactly the round he came from.....yes there is risk, but the extra's provided are to give incentive to the trading teams, for giving up what we want. It separates us from the rest, when making an offer they can't refuse. (Hopefully!)

As I said, I think we are close to finishing the rebuilding of the top 2 lines, and in the short term, as I see Benning signing at least one top forward this year to play with Pettersson

I see these picks as solid picks and strong building blocks, and it condenses our picks to be around the same age as our core.

2019 1st (10 OA) one of Boldy/Krebs/Podkolzin, would all be great additions to our current core
2019 1st (17 OA) one of Seider/Soderstrom/Broberg would all be solid additions to our defensive corp
2019 1st (27 OA) one of Thomson/Grewe/Foote would all be great prospects
2019 2nd (40 OA) I am very keen on Korczak who would add a great, big RHD defensive defenceman to our ranks
2019 3rd (71 OA) Best Goalie available
2020 1st ( mid round ?) And another solid pick, who would be ready shortly there after. (Probably a forward)

I see this being the conclusion of the first stage of our rebuild, and 2 years quicker, if lucky!

The 2nd stage of the rebuild is, moving veteran for picks, as earlier stated, and continuing to draft well...….

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Tampa I will do. Dipietro is probably 50/50 chance he makes it to the nhl. Canucks don't have enough elite talent. They can use another 1st round pick. If they want another goalie prospect, just draft one in the 3rd round. I know somebody will reply and say we can't trade Dipietro, he was starter for Team Canada. Then my reply will be go check the lists for all starters for team Canada wjc. Not an impressive lists.

Vegas. I would that as well. I am willing to take that gamble. 2021 draft Canucks will pick anywhere 15 to 20th is my prediction. Worth getting a 1st round pick earlier.

Yannickg

May 8, 2019
No to both trades
Here is why
1) this draft is not really deep so if we are helping other team to free some salary i want their 2020 first round .
2) Canucks are helping those teams to free salary so why does the return has to be big. The Tampa trade should be 3 round 2019(weak draft)+ the right on Goldobin.
For Clarckson and a first 2020 the return should be 5 round 2019 and the right to Granlund.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Trade #1

Trade #2

the

Vancouver goes no
First trade makes no sense

Reactions: Nucks2477

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Trade #1

Trade #2

That first trade is brutal. You do realize that the probability that the 2021 1st Rd pick could be as good or better than the 17th overall this year is very high.

Canucks need to GAIN assets, not bring in overpaid vets and end up net negative in assets.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
That first trade is brutal. You do realize that the probability that the 2021 1st Rd pick could be as good or better than the 17th overall this year is very high.

Canucks need to GAIN assets, not bring in overpaid vets and end up net negative in assets.

What Vancouver needs to do is condense and make a solid team, while players like Horvat, Boeser, Demko,and Virtanen
are still young and under contract.

Every pick has risk, every trade has risk, and Benning and crew need to be able to evaluate this core and where we will be in 3, 5, 7 and 10 years

We will have lots of chance to trade veterans for extra picks, but windows are only open for so long, and you have to be able to see down the road. trading away a 2021 1st for a 2019 1st is a lateral transaction and has no collateral damage, unless you draft poorly, but if Benning and his scouting department are the constant, then he could hit or miss in either year, so getting the pick this year, only condenses for the future, but closer together. They are all tradeable when their time is up, and so you can recoup those picks later on in their careers.

To me, that is where the Canucks have failed, not trading aging veterans, while they have value. This has been mostly, IMO because the fandom does not understand, that this is a business.....

Other teams have absolutely no problem of trading players, or letting them walk (not a good idea), but the Canucks, have not done this until way to late in the game IMO

My question to those that do not understand this is...…….Do you still love the Sedin's or have you moved on from them and are now focusing on Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes......my guess, is that you do not miss the 2017 edition of the Sedins's as much now. (kinda like the old girlfriend you dumped.....she is a flickering thought until the new one comes a long)

Anyways, if there is a draft prospect Benning really likes at 17, he should go for it. IMHO

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What Vancouver needs to do is condense and make a solid team, while players like Horvat, Boeser, Demko,and Virtanen
are still young and under contract.

Every pick has risk, every trade has risk, and Benning and crew need to be able to evaluate this core and where we will be in 3, 5, 7 and 10 years

We will have lots of chance to trade veterans for extra picks, but windows are only open for so long, and you have to be able to see down the road. trading away a 2021 1st for a 2019 1st is a lateral transaction and has no collateral damage, unless you draft poorly, but if Benning and his scouting department are the constant, then he could hit or miss in either year, so getting the pick this year, only condenses for the future, but closer together. They are all tradeable when their time is up, and so you can recoup those picks later on in their careers.

To me, that is where the Canucks have failed, not trading aging veterans, while they have value. This has been mostly, IMO because the fandom does not understand, that this is a business.....

Other teams have absolutely no problem of trading players, or letting them walk (not a good idea), but the Canucks, have not done this until way to late in the game IMO

My question to those that do not understand this is...…….Do you still love the Sedin's or have you moved on from them and are now focusing on Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes......my guess, is that you do not miss the 2017 edition of the Sedins's as much now. (kinda like the old girlfriend you dumped.....she is a flickering thought until the new one comes a long)

Anyways, if there is a draft prospect Benning really likes at 17, he should go for it. IMHO

Okay... If it is a lateral transaction then what are the Canucks getting for taking on Clarkson's deal? How are the Canucks "winning" this trade?

Do you think anyone available at 17 would be better than anyone the Canucks could acquire straight up for their 2021 1st next summer?

Benning would have to sell Aquilini on paying Clarkson's contract because he wanted to make a "lateral move". That's not happening, even the most hands off owner would say no to it.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
How about Stone from the Flames? Our 2nd next year for your 4th's? This and next years
Stone is a pure cap dump at this point even if he’s only a 3.5m cap hit. Hes worthless.
Which is why I’ve suggested 26 and Stone for Markstrom. Markstrom isn’t worth a 26th overall by himself, but Stone’s negative value brings that down enough it should be equal.
Canucks get a #7D, Flames get a #1 goalie

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Okay... If it is a lateral transaction then what are the Canucks getting for taking on Clarkson's deal? How are the Canucks "winning" this trade?

Do you think anyone available at 17 would be better than anyone the Canucks could acquire straight up for their 2021 1st next summer?

Benning would have to sell Aquilini on paying Clarkson's contract because he wanted to make a "lateral move". That's not happening, even the most hands off owner would say no to it.

You know this because...………..??????

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
You know this because...………..??????

Successful business people (which owners are) do not give money away for nothing. That's basically what you are asking here.

What else could the Canucks do with the 2021 1st Rd pick that could help them in your 2-3 year window without having to take on Clarkson's deal for free?

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Successful business people (which owners are) do not give money away for nothing. That's basically what you are asking here.

What else could the Canucks do with the 2021 1st Rd pick that could help them in your 2-3 year window without having to take on Clarkson's deal for free?

I would argee with your second statement.....but one thing to consider is the Expansion draft...….I do not usually think that teams do lateral moves with their young guns or prospects, and you are better off drafting your own, but the point is still valid and does have merit.....

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Tampa says no. We have no need for a goalie prospect at all and I feel like we can get rid of Callahan without giving up a 1st round pick.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So over 11 million in cap space a season, next year's first and this year's third and DiPietro for the 17th and 27th overall picks?

Hard pass.

I don't think English has the words to describe how much I dislike this pair of trades.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Stone is a pure cap dump at this point even if he’s only a 3.5m cap hit. Hes worthless.
Which is why I’ve suggested 26 and Stone for Markstrom. Markstrom isn’t worth a 26th overall by himself, but Stone’s negative value brings that down enough it should be equal.
Canucks get a #7D, Flames get a #1 goalie

Wait, who's this #1 goalie? Cause I'd play Rittich more than Marky Sparky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad