Post-Game Talk: 2: Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015, Flyers at Panthers

SgtJoseph*

Berube ran an awful system and made awful decisions, how anybody can downplay that is beyond me.

NEVER said that Berube was a great coach ! Just simply stating that the PLAYERS need to be held accountable much more than they are . And i hope that our new coach don't get the " Berube " treatment when the players themselves should be held accountable for missed Penalty shots, bad passes, missed scoring chances in the slot , etc etc . Every single loss being blamed on Berube last year got really OLD .

I like Haskol, liked his clubs in college etc , i think he can do well in the NHL .

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Berube ran an awful system and made awful decisions, how anybody can downplay that is beyond me.

No way, Beef! Need more grinders. Need more fighters. Need more grit. Berube was tough. That means Berube is a good coach. Don't you dare blame Berube or any other stupid tough guy becaus they're the bestest. It's still the 1970's, nothing has changed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
NEVER said that Berube was a great coach ! Just simply stating that the PLAYERS need to be held accountable much more than they are . And i hope that our new coach don't get the " Berube " treatment when the players themselves should be held accountable for missed Penalty shots, bad passes, missed scoring chances in the slot , etc etc . Every single loss being blamed on Berube last year got really OLD .

I like Haskol, liked his clubs in college etc , i think he can do well in the NHL .

Berube literally never once got blamed for any one of those things. He got blamed for the things he ****ed up, which was plenty. You would know that if you either payed attention or if you listened one of the 100 times we explained this to you. You just refuse to listen because you're stubborn and won't accept the truth.

It's been repeated so many times, the team was incredibly flawed, but that doesn't excuse all the things that Berube ****ed up on his own that were 100% his fault and responsibility. Those are the things he's blamed for, not penalty shots or passes or whatever other dumb **** you keep making up in your head.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
No way, Beef! Need more grinders. Need more fighters. Need more grit. Berube was tough. That means Berube is a good coach. Don't you dare blame Berube or any other stupid tough guy becaus they're the bestest. It's still the 1970's, nothing has changed.

Should of kept remaldoâ„¢ he has all the hart this team needs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is complete nonsense. Berube wasn't blamed for roster flaws or player mistakes. He was blamed for all the **** he did that made winning way harder than it should've been.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I missed this game due to being at a music festival. I'll start it now

Not getting them a proper PK Coach was one of the few mistakes Hextall has made this offseason.

That was Hakstol's choice. Hextall gave him the opportunity to get anyone he wanted for the assistant coaches, Hakstol chose to keep the current ones.

So two games into the season. Already had the first players only meeting. Yikes

I think it's a good thing. That means Giroux is going to be holding people accountable for their **** play. He doesn't want to lose games like that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haven't you heard? Giroux is a terrible leader! If he was a better leader on and off the ice then Mason would have made those saves and the defense would be far more skilled/intelligent and Berube would have been a better coach last year and we wouldn't have any bad contracts on this team and other players wouldn't play like trash. All of that is clearly on the captain to fix.

This is the logic of certain people on here. :laugh:

We'all completely ignore that he's elite offensively, great defensively, the best special teams player in the game, incredibly hard working, physical, sets a great example for other players, is vocal, appears to be extremely well liked by peers, and has never given anyone a legitimate reason to question his leadership.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well it doesn't reflect well on the team that they're already going to this route two games into season which I think was the underlying point being made intially by the OP.

This isn't uncharted territories this team is entering here by doing this. As between these meetings along with getting chewed out between periods by the GM whether it be Homer or Hextall it really hasn't been all too uncommon for them in the last three years.

If things don't improve it could get to a point where those at the top feel like a change to this roster could be in order.

SgtJoseph*

This is complete nonsense. Berube wasn't blamed for roster flaws or player mistakes. He was blamed for all the **** he did that made winning way harder than it should've been.

He absolutely was blamed , go read the old post ! 3rd best PP in the NHL last year but got ZERO credit ? But blamed for the PK ? You folks are what i call " selective " nervous nellies who focus on the Negatives and give zero credit for the positives once its been deemed a coach or player is ripe to be dumped upon .

I have never said Berube was a great coach or without fault, but when i try and be a bit fair and point out positives , and mention there is plenty of blame to be thrown toward the players, it goes against the grain on here and folks get their panties all in a wad ........... Its actually quite amusing how things get so slanted and picked apart on here by the self proclaimed EXPERTS .

I make no apologies for liking tough, hard nosed, old school hockey led by a tough hard nosed no nonsense captain . Roo is a fine player, but not Captain material in my view . That comment in no way slights him in any way, nor says he is not a fine hockey player .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The PP is all Giroux. Let's be real. Do you forget that under his watch, the second unit was a complete debacle? And of course he gets slagged for the PK. He told a bunch of slow dmen to pursue the puck aggressively, and it failed miserably.

It wasn't Berube's fault that Vinny was terrible. You know what is his fault though? Playing Vinny very prominently and squandering offensive zone faceoffs with him. It's not his fault that several dmen struggle with the puck. You know what was his fault? Playing them on their opposite side for no good reason, making them uncomfortable and even less effective.

Either you're lying about what was said here, or you did a poor job reading. Please, do show us where anybody claimed that players' deficiencies were a fault of Berube. if it happened so often you shouldn't have any issue finding it.

It seems you can't tell the difference between people criticizing a player being used incorrectly, and that player being flawed. Berube was responsible for the former, not the latter.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The PP has been machine-like since well before Berube took over. Don't think that's a selectivity problem. Hakstol won't and shouldn't get credit for our PP when it performs well again this year.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
It's just bad business to keep a team there, Gary wants to expand but glosses over the huge losses this franchise builds up every year

panthers_game_empty_credit_thescore_thumb_560x315.jpeg

This was taken just before game time for reference. The stadium was packed last night. I wont doubt that this team has had financial problems but we actually have owners who care now. Things are changing down here.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He posts like one of those satire Twitter accounts... But he's actually serious.

I just can't fathom being this stubborn. It literally been explained to him dozens of times and yet he still repeats the same utter nonsense and ignores it when we correct him with facts. It's like he's making a conscious effort to remain ignorant. I just don't get it... How can anyone be like this?

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
It's just bad business to keep a team there, Gary wants to expand but glosses over the huge losses this franchise builds up every year

panthers_game_empty_credit_thescore_thumb_560x315.jpeg

Hey just a friendly heads up. The picture you posted was actually last year's home opener. Here is a picture from last night. Sold out. Huge improvement.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He absolutely was blamed , go read the old post ! 3rd best PP in the NHL last year but got ZERO credit ? But blamed for the PK ? You folks are what i call " selective " nervous nellies who focus on the Negatives and give zero credit for the positives once its been deemed a coach or player is ripe to be dumped upon .

I have never said Berube was a great coach or without fault, but when i try and be a bit fair and point out positives , and mention there is plenty of blame to be thrown toward the players, it goes against the grain on here and folks get their panties all in a wad ........... Its actually quite amusing how things get so slanted and picked apart on here by the self proclaimed EXPERTS .

I make no apologies for liking tough, hard nosed, old school hockey led by a tough hard nosed no nonsense captain . Roo is a fine player, but not Captain material in my view . That comment in no way slights him in any way, nor says he is not a fine hockey player .

We can talk about this.

Berube didn't have much to do with the PP, that's what Joe Mullen is around for, and that's how it is for a lot of teams. Not unlike how an NFL head coach who used to be a coordinator, passes off the duties of the opposite side of his expertise to someone else. They typically get left to their business unless they're doing poorly and then they either intervene or make changes.

The PK is Laperriere's gig. And I didn't think he should have been back, but can live with it for now, the unit stablized once Vandevelde and Bellemare were used as the second forward unit (and the Rinaldo experiment was shelved once and for all), and Del Zotto had noticeable improvement once he was put on that unit for good.

The head coach is generally responsible for the base-5v5 unit and intervenes on special teams if and when needed. There was also the matter of the obvious disdain, lack of respect and outright distrust between Berube and the players, and it culminated in the Mason fiasco in Toronto which was likely the point of no return.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Two games into the season and we are ahead of Pitt and CBJ in the standings. Ill take it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't take that game very seriously.

Mason had one of the worst games I've ever seen from a goalie, first goal was an easy save, the next two were ones he'd have on a good night, the fourth a total mindfart play.

Down 4-0 the team just didn't know what to do, and Florida was fired up.

Crap happens. Now if they look like this Monday night, start the fire sale.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Like halfway through the game 90% of the seats behind the benches were empty... entire rows with zero people.

Since you seem to be so concerned with people not sitting in their seats after an intermission here in Florida, let me explain that to you.
The area behind the benches and up is an all inclusive area called Lexus Club. It includes all you can eat gourmet food and drink in a huge lounge area above the seats. You can see the game from there. There are tons of large TVs in there as well.
Sometimes it takes a little while for people to finish their shrimp and sushi and return to their seats which are right in camera view.

I do appreciate your concern for our team down here but I assure you, everything is going to work out just fine.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Since you seem to be so concerned with people not sitting in their seats after an intermission here in Florida, let me explain that to you.
The area behind the benches and up is an all inclusive area called Lexus Club. It includes all you can eat gourmet food and drink in a huge lounge area above the seats. You can see the game from there. There are tons of large TVs in there as well.
Sometimes it takes a little while for people to finish their shrimp and sushi and return to their seats which are right in camera view.

I do appreciate your concern for our team down here but I assure you, everything is going to work out just fine.

Oh thank goodness, is was extremely worried. Thank you for putting my mind at ease. :laugh:

PK16

Jul 28, 2013

Wow! Lighten up... he was just commenting on what he saw. The Panthers have certainly had their problems with attendance over the years. Hopefully, that is turning around. We will see what attendance looks like as the season progresses, but if it is like previous years, I'm not sure you will be able to blame it on the all you can eat sushi. :sarcasm:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I am a Flyer fan who made it to this game. The stadium was indeed packed. Sure, there we a few empty seats here and there, but apparently it was still a sell out. Some people have things come up I guess, after they buy the tickets.

Anyway, this was my first trip to the this stadium. Very nice place. Crazy to see palm trees outside of a hockey stadium :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad