News Article: 2 Round Mock Draft - The Athletic/Winged Wheel Pod

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Funny when you listen to these four talk how high they are on Rossi and then he falls to #6. I wouldn't take him that high either for the record but I did find it interesting with the way the Winged Wheel Podcast and Wings for Breakfast have been touting the guy that he did slide at all.

Brad being that involved that early probably didn’t help. He was pretty blunt about how he didn’t have to give it much thought because Stutzle and Raymond were his next two on the board and didn’t have to decide which one to pick because Ottawa picked 3-4.

Bultman clearly went with positional need for LA and then took BPA.

I’d bet that if Prashanth (this one is more of a guarantee) or Max had been drafting for the Atlantic division, Rossi would have gone as one of the two picks for Ottawa.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Given the kinds of advanced stats available, are advanced stats guys really much good at judging prospects?

Not sure who the Red Wings picker was, but those picks weren't impressive. Especially trading away a 4th rounder to move up one spot.

Reactions: Christien

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Assuming this is a hypothetical question and not a question about the actual mock...

I’ll do you one better than either of those two options.

Most Impactful Player. Just whoever you think presents the most impact on the team. Consider the importance of top line caliber centers and give them a bump if you feel they embody that potential. You don’t need to hunt a center, but a slightly lesser player at center could be more impactful for an organization.

I personally am valuing any form of dynamic game breaking ability from forwards, so I’m still holding someone like Raymond in super high regard despite his position. But I know there are others who are high on Raymond who would still lean Byfield or Stutzle because of the impact of their value in filling a top 6 pivot role.
With all of the extra time before the draft and no new game films (because no games), teams are going to have a very long list of players going into the draft. I assume they pick the kid on the top of their list, and if it's close they'll pick position of need.

I don't see any way the Wings pick LW with their top 3 picks when the team needs C, LHD, and G. I also don't see the Wings trading up because of the long list and also because that's not an Yzerman type move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad