News Article: 2 Round Mock Draft - The Athletic/Winged Wheel Pod

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

EV0QApJXQAI06fm

What do you guys think?

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Happy with the first two picks, but yuck on 3 lw and definitely yuck on the last two 2nds. Also, screw Ottawa.

Reactions: Snuggs

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the draft was to play out this way...

Should package the 51 and 60 picks for a pick in that 35-45 range. Would much rather have Hirvonen or Nybeck then the 2 guys they have us taking at 51 and 60.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Does Detroit go BPA after the top pick? Or do they go hard for D/C?

Assuming this is a hypothetical question and not a question about the actual mock...

I’ll do you one better than either of those two options.

Most Impactful Player. Just whoever you think presents the most impact on the team. Consider the importance of top line caliber centers and give them a bump if you feel they embody that potential. You don’t need to hunt a center, but a slightly lesser player at center could be more impactful for an organization.

I personally am valuing any form of dynamic game breaking ability from forwards, so I’m still holding someone like Raymond in super high regard despite his position. But I know there are others who are high on Raymond who would still lean Byfield or Stutzle because of the impact of their value in filling a top 6 pivot role.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Don't know if Reichel over Wallinder is the move. I like Grieg, not a big fan of Mukhamadulin.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How ... does Ottawa have that many picks?
Ah well, I guess I can't complain. They had to sit through last year's misery and not get a top 5 pick.

They traded away the core of a contender all around the age of 27 years old. Karlsson a norris winner, Mark Stone an olympic calibre winger, Hoffman a first line winger, Duchene a first line center and Dzingel is even a 2nd liner. They should have had 3 or 4 deep playoff runs by now if the team wasnt so dysfunctional instead they have 4 or 5 draft picks. I woulda taken the playoff runs if I were a fan of that team.

In this mock though I wouldnt be trading up one spot at the end of the first. If theres a guy thats worth trading up for that slips a bit to like 20 then make a move but not moving a spot in the second round. I would just sit tight and take someone like O'Rourke or Wallinder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They traded away the core of a contender all around the age of 27 years old. Karlsson a norris winner, Mark Stone an olympic calibre winger, Hoffman a first line winger, Duchene a first line center and Dzingel is even a 2nd liner. They should have had 3 or 4 deep playoff runs by now if the team wasnt so dysfunctional instead they have 4 or 5 draft picks. I woulda taken the playoff runs if I were a fan of that team.

In this mock though I wouldnt be trading up one spot at the end of the first. If theres a guy thats worth trading up for that slips a bit to like 20 then make a move but not moving a spot in the second round. I would just sit tight and take someone like O'Rourke or Wallinder

Haha.
I didn't really pay attention to their mock draft.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Funny when you listen to these four talk how high they are on Rossi and then he falls to #6. I wouldn't take him that high either for the record but I did find it interesting with the way the Winged Wheel Podcast and Wings for Breakfast have been touting the guy that he did slide at all.

Some curious picks, nice to have the two podcasts collaborate. I don't agree with either one all the time, but I enjoy listening to both. Probably missed the opportunity of just having Evan be the commentator and being the one giving them shit for the wrong selections and kind of moderating it though i doubt he could stay focused long enough to be the guy telling who is next. :laugh: But I do think some of his humor would have helped the exercise a little.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
What was the basis for the draft order? Can't listen to find out. Podcast is behind a paywall. A canceled season might be the best change for Wings to secure 1OA.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

EV0QApJXQAI06fm

What do you guys think?

I hate this so much...
  • 3 LW's in the first two rounds... ugh... Reichel is good though but with what is available I rather want Wallinder then Reichel
  • Detroit trading up for 1 spot and giving a 4th round pick? I hate it. I rather see them trade down because we need more picks between the 2nd and 4th round, there is a lot of talent there
  • Miettinen > Greig, sorry but Miettinen is such a beast

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad