Proposal: 2 Rangers trades that make sense.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Koivu and Zucker both have more value than Stepan. One was a Selke finalist and the other was one of the best 5v5 scorers in the NHL. Stepan is a good player, but he is slow, soft and bad on the dot. Huge pass.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If this makes sense and im a chicago fan then ill give pittsburg seabrook for crosby

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Klein for Pouliot(Half retained) and a 2017 second

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu(half retained), Zucker, 2018 1st for Stepan.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

Makes sense for the NTR only . The Oilers can pay in draft picks for Vegas to take him no need to retain on him . Also Pouliot,s first 2 years in Edmonton he was worth his contract . This year he had a down year along with Eberle and RNH . They had to take a back seat to McDavid and Draisaitl so they did not get the premium ice time .

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
One of the reason proposals never go well on these boards is because of the delusional values fans put on their players. Fan bases can't let go of long time players. Especially can't admit when they have lost a lot. Koivu is no longer a top 2 center. Period. Zucker is a decent, two way wing. However, his career high is 47 points and before that it was 26. Nothing to write home about. Just changes the mix for the Rangers a bit. However, I'm guessing Gorton will want a much better return for Stepan than that early on in the off-season.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
One of the reason proposals never go well on these boards is because of the delusional values fans put on their players. Fan bases can't let go of long time players. Especially can't admit when they have lost a lot. Koivu is no longer a top 2 center. Period. Zucker is a decent, two way wing. However, his career high is 47 points and before that it was 26. Nothing to write home about. Just changes the mix for the Rangers a bit. However, I'm guessing Gorton will want a much better return for Stepan than that early on in the off-season.

A center that is capable of Selke quality defense well still being able to put up 57 points is absolutely a top 6 C. He may not be a true #1, but he is still a great #2. If anyone in this thread is overvaluing their players it would be you.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

He was never a top 2 center. Crosby and Malkin have held those spots for basically their entire careers.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Yikes.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i think he started off serious, realized just how insane it was, and is now trying to play it off as a troll job.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I suspect that, if he does look at trading Stepan, Gorton is also shrewd enough to talk to teams that actually need centers instead of the Wild.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

So is Stepan a 3C then? I mean there are so many statistics that Koivu is better than him at... points, points/60, GF%, takes way more dzone draws than ozone compared to Stepan who takes more ozone faceoffs, PDO, etc. I get that Koivu is 34 years old but he's been at this speed since 30. He's been a .71 ppg player during that time frame. He's playing Selke defense. You honestly don't have an argument he's not a top 6 center other than he's old.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

Oilers aren't giving up a 2nd and taking on salary to flip Pouliot for Klein.

Drop the salary retention and it's a conversation but as is it's really bad for Edmonton.

It's even worse if you want it to be a pre-expansion deal.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Oilers aren't giving up a 2nd and taking on salary to flip Pouliot for Klein.

Drop the salary retention and it's a conversation but as is it's really bad for Edmonton.

It's even worse if you want it to be a pre-expansion deal.

The Rangers have zero interest in Pouliot, I'd trade Klein for the 2nd.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016

And Stepan has had one 20 goal season in his career, averages around 50 points, yet has a cap hit of 6.5 a year. Not that attractive. And Stepan is pretty terrible at face offs. Where does his crazy high value come from? You are correct in your post. You are delusional about Stepans value.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

giphy.gif

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
This is HF. Don't you know that all Rangers players are worthless on this board. :nod: I mean, Stepan is considered one of the better, two way forwards in the game and is 26. One bad playoffs and of course on these boards he's now worthless. Certainly not worth a 34 old, fading center and a wing who has had one decent season in his career.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
This is HF. Don't you know that all Rangers players are worthless on this board. :nod: I mean, Stepan is considered one of the better, two way forwards in the game and is 26. One bad playoffs and of course on these boards he's now worthless. Certainly not worth a 34 old, fading center and a wing who has had one decent season in his career.

Fascinating. It's like getting hockey knowledge from Milbury.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

rangers might end up buying out pouliot but the second is good value for klein. edmonton needs a vet dman with sekera injured... i give it thumbs up

koivu is better than stephan... so no way i throw in zucker and a first

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Prefer a pick straight up for Klein, who starts at a 3rd but fetches a 2nd. Maybe eat half his expiring salary or throw in a 5th, but he should get a 2nd.
If Pouillot showed up I'd give him a tryout, and you are right, he is improved,
But see him as a stop gap, not a building block.
Which is okay, just = secondary, not primary focus/efforts.

---------
I see the logic in the other deal.
Taking the older Koivu makes space for younger hometown boy Stepan, which rejuvenates the club.

The issue there is cost, and Wild pref to retain Koivu
Also I disagree that we need a C coming back.
I wouldn't kill a deal just because it has a returning pivot.
But we need to look at best return, without preference to position [except at netminder, cause we have plenty of those]

Instead of valuable futures, maybe a lesser F that Wild would otherwise have to protect, + Dumba as they are in excess at D and with issues re exp drft, maybe that and a lesser [2nd round] pick might work

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
And Stepan has had one 20 goal season in his career, averages around 50 points, yet has a cap hit of 6.5 a year. Not that attractive. And Stepan is pretty terrible at face offs. Where does his crazy high value come from? You are correct in your post. You are delusional about Stepans value.

Jut a FYI-He has actually had 2 20+ goal seasons in his career and a bunch that are close. He is a 50+pt center no matter how you slice it and he is defensively responsible. He holds decent value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad