Proposal: 2 Rangers trades that make sense.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And Stepan has had one 20 goal season in his career, averages around 50 points, yet has a cap hit of 6.5 a year. Not that attractive. And Stepan is pretty terrible at face offs. Where does his crazy high value come from? You are correct in your post. You are delusional about Stepans value.
So Stepan is Bozak exept worse on the dot??

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Klein for Pouliot(Half retained) and a 2017 second

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu(half retained), Zucker, 2018 1st for Stepan.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

Oilers don't have a second

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Klein for Pouliot(Half retained) and a 2017 second

The Pouliot contract was awful from day one. Yet, I think he will bring a lot to the Rangers 4th line. Klein can give the Oilers a good vet on defense on a decent contract. He's much better than last year.

Koivu(half retained), Zucker, 2018 1st for Stepan.

Koivu is old but IMO the Rangers need a third center, faceoff guy and some leadership. Stepan is better than Zucker. Period. Wild get a good 1-2 punch at center and a very good player. Rangers get a two way winger which they need. Trade makes sense for both teams. Stepan as a MN boy comes home.

If Ranger fans do this in a heartbeat, that tells you the proposals are lopsided. These are awful for the other teams. Come on.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
One of the reason proposals never go well on these boards is because of the delusional values fans put on their players. Fan bases can't let go of long time players. Especially can't admit when they have lost a lot. Koivu is no longer a top 2 center. Period. Zucker is a decent, two way wing. However, his career high is 47 points and before that it was 26. Nothing to write home about. Just changes the mix for the Rangers a bit. However, I'm guessing Gorton will want a much better return for Stepan than that early on in the off-season.

Koivu just finished with 58 points. Good for 24th in Center scoring. That is while getting nominated to Selke, given to the best defensive forward in the league. And 47 points in the NHL is nothing to write home about? So Stepan is going to fetch better return than those players plus a first round pick, and you're calling other fan bases delusional?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I think the Oilers politely pass. The Oilers are still pretty stacked on the left side with Klefbom, Nurse and possibly re-signing Russell. Besides Sekera could be back at the beginning of November and the Oilers could use Pouliot in the bottom 6

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Jut a FYI-He has actually had 2 20+ goal seasons in his career and a bunch that are close. He is a 50+pt center no matter how you slice it and he is defensively responsible. He holds decent value.

My apologies. I missed that he had a 20+ goal season in his rookie year. I'm not saying Stepan is a bad player, he's just crazy over valued. Especially on these boards and by the OP of this thread.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I think the Oilers politely pass. The Oilers are still pretty stacked on the left side with Klefbom, Nurse and possibly re-signing Russell. Besides Sekera could be back at the beginning of November and the Oilers could use Pouliot in the bottom 6

not that id ever make that trade but KK is right handed bro

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This is HF. Don't you know that all Rangers players are worthless on this board. :nod: I mean, Stepan is considered one of the better, two way forwards in the game and is 26. One bad playoffs and of course on these boards he's now worthless. Certainly not worth a 34 old, fading center and a wing who has had one decent season in his career.

I think you're mixing value with who is actually a better player. Sure, Stepan has more value than Koivu. But there is no argument that Koivu is worse than Stepan other than he's old. Koivu is better in a ton of statistics. I listed them off twice but one post was deleted and the other you just ignored (I'm guessing). The Zucker-Koivu-Granlund line was our 1st line and shutdown line. Now realize you just asked for 2/3 of it and a 1st rounder for a team that just traded a 1st, 2nd and a 4th. I highly doubt the Wild will go back to back years without picking in the first two rounds. Stepan isn't worth that to Minnesota. And no it hasn't been "one bad playoffs" because it's been years of Dumba or Brodin for Stepan and Wild fans denying it.

Try to look at from a Minnesota perspective. That's all I ask.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Koivu, Zucker and a 1st for Stepan LOL. Get real man.

Edit: didn't see the Wild are also retaining on half of Koivu's cap. Even WORSE!

^what's worse is the fact the OP wants to offer a 2018 1st rounder and not this year's. i see these offers all the time on the 'net....fans willing to trade this year's 2nd rounder but want the goodies now without coughing up this year's 1st rounder....it's like a credit card, buy now pay later but if i'm the Wild it's pay now or no deal ! :shakehead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koivu is the Wild's captain, highly respected, still productive, and has only one more year left on his NMC contract. He is not getting traded, and especially not for this embarrassment of a proposal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Koivu is the Wild's captain, highly respected, still productive, and has only one more year left on his NMC contract. He is not getting traded, and especially not for this embarrassment of a proposal.

In fact, odds are probably much better that he's re-signed after his deal is done than they are that he's traded away, or even leaves as a free agent unless he torpedo's this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In fact, odds are probably much better that he's re-signed after his deal is done than they are that he's traded away, or even leaves as a free agent unless he torpedo's this year.

Yeah, if he has even a decent year this year, let alone one like last year's then he is brought back for 3 yr/14M, or something like that. A "Backstrom" deal.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Bozak is atrocious defensively. He couldn't lift Stepan's jockstrap. This is exactly what I'm talking about. There isn't one GM in the sport who would trade Stepan for Bozak.
Gimme a break.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
^what's worse is the fact the OP wants to offer a 2018 1st rounder and not this year's. i see these offers all the time on the 'net....fans willing to trade this year's 2nd rounder but want the goodies now without coughing up this year's 1st rounder....it's like a credit card, buy now pay later but if i'm the Wild it's pay now or no deal ! :shakehead

The OP is not a Wild fan and the OP has the Wild trading the 1st in 2018 cause they don't have a 1st for 2017. Regardless it's horrible for Minnesota.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The second deal "makes sense for the Rangers" in the sense that the Rangers give up the worst player in the deal for two players and 1st.

Sure. "Makes sense." Where do I sign?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad