GDT: #2|Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Rangers|IT'S CLOBBBERRRIIINNN TIMMMEEE|1/20/13|7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

test001r.jpg
test002d.jpg

test003.jpg
test004z.jpg

GDT #2

Pittsburgh Penguins
vs New York Rangers

Sunday January 20nd, 2013
MSG - New York City

[glow=black]What to watch for![/glow]
Game Preview
The New York Rangers gave up some quality pieces to land an even bigger one this past July. The Rick Nash saga ended on Broadway, as the Blueshirts acquired the scoring winger from Columbus in exchange for forwards Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov, defenseman Tim Erixon and a first-round draft pick. The reigning Atlantic Division Champions are looking to build on a 109-point performance in 2011-12 and hope that the acquisition of Nash will take them to the next level.

During training camp, Nash slotted in on the right wing next to playmaking center Brad Richards (with young speedster Carl Hagelin completing the line). Nash never had an elite center during his nine seasons in Columbus and still scored at least 30 goals in seven of those campaigns, reaching 40 twice. It's intriguing to think of what he's capable of working with an elite talent like Richards. Certainly the most important offseason transaction for the Rangers was landing Nash, but he wasn’t the only player movement in the Big Apple. Gritty winger Brandon Prust got a large raise in Montreal, while forwards Ruslan Fedotenko and John Mitchell also moved on. Also gone are defensemen Jeff Woywitka and John Scott.

General manager Glen Sather did as much as he could to replace those that departed, by signing forwards Taylor Pyatt, Jeff Halpern, Micheal Haley and former Penguin Arron Asham. Pyatt had nine goals and 19 points through 73 contests last season in Phoenix. He has been playing with big-bodied center Brian Boyle and talented sophomore Chris Kreider. A veteran center, Halpern no longer produces as many points, but is excellent on faceoffs and could be key in winning draws for the Rangers.
(click on the link above to read the full article)

[size=+2][glow=black]Projected Lineups[/size][/glow]
[FIELDSET="Bylsma's Bag O' Lines - Shake 'em up and see what you get!"]
Pittsburgh%20Penguins%20Logo.jpg

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis
Eric Tangradi - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal
Matt Cooke - Brandon Sutter - Tyler Kennedy
Tanner Glass - Joe Vitale - Craig Adams

Brooks Orpik - Paul Martin
Kris Letang - Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland - Simon Despres

Marc-andre Fleury
Voukoun​
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="New York Rangers"]
Washington-Capitals-Logo_7993396.jpg

Rick Nash - Brad Richards (A) - Carl Hagelin
Marian Gaborik - Derek Stepan - Ryan Callahan (C)
Chris Kreider - Brian Boyle - Taylor Pyatt
Mike Rupp - Jeff Halpern - Brandon Segal

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal (A) - Anton Stralman
Michael Del Zotto - Stu Bickel

Thy King
[/FIELDSET]

** Note all lines are subject to change **

[glow=black]Cole's Players To Watch[/glow]

evgeni-malkin.jpg

I know we are completely way too early in the season, but I think Geno is the best player in the NHL this season. He was on fire in the KHL and looks to be in mid-season form. While Crosby, Stammer, Giroux, and Ovy will be on his tails... I think #71 is ready to go and prove he was the best.

Another thing that is dangerous for the NHL is that he gets James Neal for another go-around. FINALLY Geno has a guy that has been his line mate that he can gain chemistry more and more each shift and know he won't be demoted to the 4th line. It's something we've dreamed about for awhile. A perfect example is the faceoff play they use where Geno puts it in a perfect spot and Neal rips it before I even finish my sip of beer. Can't wait to keep watching these two dominate.

rick26s-2-web.jpg

Watching this Boston game, I can't help but to notice some guy in beast mode. Yeah.. I'm not happy to admit but Nash makes this Rangers offense scary. He was working the Boston defense and played very well. I'll keep it short and sweet - we have to watch out for him. He has legit weapons around him and is very dangerous.

[glow=black]Cole's Video Matchup[/glow]
(Expand browser & make text size medium or less to see videos side by side)

VS.

[glow=black]Two For The Road [/glow]

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!!!!!

AhzfLSICEAEANhj.jpg

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Looking at the Rangers line up I was wondering how they afford that with the cap & then I realized they pay their defense nothing. McDonagh is in for a serious raise next year but Staal & Girardi have cap friendly deals.

Stephan, Hagelin, & McDonagh only have this year left on their entry levels. Might be their last real good year to make a run before they have to restructure.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I hate Tortorella. Hated his schtick when he was in Tampa and it's worse now that he's in a big market. I don't think I've ever truly disliked a NHL coach outside of him. Such a ****ing whiner.

Wonder if Biron will be starting?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I hate Tortorella. Hated his schtick when he was in Tampa and it's worse now that he's in a big market. I don't think I've ever truly disliked a NHL coach outside of him. Such a ****ing whiner.

Wonder if Biron will be starting?
Fully agree. Always using used car salesman tactics to rally the troops. Even after wins he's always crying about something.

I always imagine him getting his check and complaining about money being green.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
As long as Tortarella is abusing a ****** reporter (Brooks et al), I'm fine with it. I only wish Rossi would report for the Rangers so I could watch Torts eat him alive. :thumbu:

Not fine with the whining about officiating etc though. We have a good month before he starts whining about the officiating (hopefully).

Looking forward to this game. An early benchmark for us / early test.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Penguins Vs New York Rangers, Mar 15 2012, Crosby's Second Game Back

Record vs. Rangers last year 4-2
Penguins 20 goals, Rangers 12.

They are a team to be respected, and are rightly considered to be the top contender for the cup. But we did seem to have their number last year and match up better against them than we did against the Flyers and Devils. New year, but I hope that dynamic remains so.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Carl Hagelin - Brad Richards (A) - Rick Nash
Mike Rupp - Jeff Halpern -Arron Asham

Marc Staal (A) - Michael Del Zotto
Anton Stralman - Stu Bickel

Lundqvist

Is likely what you guys will see. Those bottom two pairings will likely be mixed up. Either way, this is easier

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal: 24-26 minutes
Del Zotto: 22-24 minutes
Stralman: 12-16 minutes
Bickel: idk, whatever Torts feels like :laugh:

It's a back to back game, but I think it's more likely we see Lundqvist than Biron. Tortorella will probably want to play Biron, but I doubt Hank will let him after today.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Carl Hagelin - Brad Richards (A) - Rick Nash
Mike Rupp - Jeff Halpern -Arron Asham

Marc Staal (A) - Michael Del Zotto
Anton Stralman - Stu Bickel

Lundqvist

Is likely what you guys will see. Those bottom two pairings will likely be mixed up. Either way, this is easier

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal: 24-26 minutes
Del Zotto: 22-24 minutes
Stralman: 12-16 minutes
Bickel: idk, whatever Torts feels like :laugh:

It's a back to back game, but I think it's more likely we see Lundqvist than Biron. Tortorella will probably want to play Biron, but I doubt Hank will let him after today.

Thank you for sharing the lineup. Not kidding when I say it is appreciated.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm feeling a big night from Geno.

Him or Sid.

Actually, I hope tomorrow is Sid's coming out party. At least Geno and Neal looked somewhat dangerous today, and registered one of the goals. Sid and his line looked almost like a glorified checking line this afternoon. I'd like to see that line get on the scoreboard sooner rather than later.

Also, minor nitpick, but shouldn't the defense pairings be listed as Niskanen - Letang, and Despres - Engelland?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Eh, Torts whining about the refs is just a mind game. They're all just trying to get calls, I don't know when people are going to realize that. I think the guy is a hoot for the most part. Hockey needs a few more guys that actually emote. I think we have about 3 or 4, coaches and players combined.

I agree with Cole that Nash looked good. He can do amazing things on his own, he's not just a gunner. This will be another good game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm going to post a different song for each GDT with a very loose connection to the team we're playing. This one is just a Swedish band in honor of King Henrik.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Should be a stiff test. Rangers have a very good team and are obviously looking to bounce back from the Boston loss. Selfishly I'm glad I at least don't have to look at Dooshbinsky a handful of times a year now that he's gone from the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad