2 Piece Sticks?

BrobReborn

Oct 14, 2015
So today I was in the hockey store and I saw shafts / blades for all the Bauer top end sticks. I forget the exact prices, but I know it was around $150 for the whole stick. To me this sounds great, it's cheap and when I wear down the blade I can essentially replace it for <$50 rather than $269.

So, why are 2 piece sticks so cheap? Are they not as good or what?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
They're indeed not as good. Used to be that most high end OPS were just a fused shaft and blade, the same ones you could buy with a tapered 2 piece setup, but that's not really true anymore- top end sticks are generally true one pieces, which means they have less weight near the blade and more responsive performance.

A high end two piece will still offer more than enough performance for most people, however, and they can indeed be more economical. And I still have an old synergy 2 piece setup in the closet as a spare stick myself.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
They're indeed not as good. Used to be that most high end OPS were just a fused shaft and blade, the same ones you could buy with a tapered 2 piece setup, but that's not really true anymore- top end sticks are generally true one pieces, which means they have less weight near the blade and more responsive performance.

A high end two piece will still offer more than enough performance for most people, however, and they can indeed be more economical. And I still have an old synergy 2 piece setup in the closet as a spare stick myself.

I respectfully disagree. I think a high-end two piece stick can be as good as a comparable one piece stick. Some one-piece sticks today are so light in the blade that it throws off the balance. Personally, balance is very important to me. I also feel that some high-end tapered blades offer superior puck feel.

I just paired one of the new Warrior AX1 blades with my OG Dynasty AX1 shaft and it has better pop than some of the OPS that I own. Very impressed.

Edit: I should add that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find tapered blades unless you're P88 or P92 guy. To me, that is the real drawback, the lack of options.

Last edited:

BrobReborn

Oct 14, 2015
I respectfully disagree. I think a high-end two piece stick can be as good as a comparable one piece stick. Some one-piece sticks today are so light in the blade that it throws off the balance. Personally, balance is very important to me. I also feel that some high-end tapered blades offer superior puck feel.

I just paired one of the new Warrior AX1 blades with my OG Dynasty AX1 shaft and it has better pop than some of the OPS that I own. Very impressed.

Edit: I should add that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find tapered blades unless you're P88 or P92 guy. To me, that is the real drawback, the lack of options.

I agree with the weight, honestly, feeling the n1 in the store felt odd, I am not a huge fan of the super light sticks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
2 piece sticks are very good. They offer some of the technologies from the high end OPS while being cheaper. I owned a 2 piece Total One and Total One NXG and I liked them almost as much as my 1 piece APX.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
For the vast majority of people, the only consistent drawback is the continued availability of 2 piece offerings in-store. Companies still make them and have stock for orders, but it's tough to always have to seek out in-store stock.

RefinedRobot

Sep 9, 2015
On the flip side, if there's a blade/curve you like, and you're worried about it being discontinued, you can stock up like crazy.

I'm still shooting with a Yzerman curve on an old Easton Synergy Grip turned into a two piece. My only regret is that my remaining blades are wood composite instead of graphite or whatever, but that's cuz I stocked up once I learned it was discontinued, and the only places to get them were at, like, arena pro-shops instead of actual stores.

edit: I have one blade left after my current one goes :(

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Figured I'd bump this. What's the best place to order online? I've searched eBay and it seems to be a rare thing now a day

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I was really hoping to go the 2-piece route when I got back into playing this past year, but it sadly seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth. I still have my old 2-piece as a backup, but just decided to take advantage of blowout deals on 1-pieces to make it economical (which was really what I was after in the first place).

I always liked the customization angle of two pieces back in the day (when older guys were all still using wood sticks), but at this point in my "hockey career", keeping the hobby cost-effective is more important to me than getting the perfect combo of blade and shaft.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
It depends if you live in Canada or USA. Hockey monkey has great deals on clearance shafts.

US. I was looking there. I usually get my blades at my local play it again. But they're fresh out at the moment which is a bummer

RICK NASHTY

May 5, 2015
I don't mind playing with two piece sticks, but I really prefer tapered ones.

I was able to snag a couple tapered p89 prostock blades and a couple of e16 shafts for 10 bucks a piece which I absolutely love for 30 a piece from hockeygiant.

There is definitely a huge price gap between the two, plus I find it easier to get pro stocks curves on sticks that arent 110 flex as a one piece.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I don't mind playing with two piece sticks, but I really prefer tapered ones.

I was able to snag a couple tapered p89 prostock blades and a couple of e16 shafts for 10 bucks a piece which I absolutely love for 30 a piece from hockeygiant.

There is definitely a huge price gap between the two, plus I find it easier to get pro stocks curves on sticks that arent 110 flex as a one piece.

Oh crap, maybe I should take a drive up to Hockey Giant.

UPDATE: got a p88 curve for my Adam Hall prostock last night at play it again near me. Also picked up a warrior two piece for $25.
Warrior ak27 shaft 85 flex
Warrior vanek curve. Not a bad curve. Was my first time using it

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Oh crap, maybe I should take a drive up to Hockey Giant.

UPDATE: got a p88 curve for my Adam Hall prostock last night at play it again near me. Also picked up a warrior two piece for $25.
Warrior ak27 shaft 85 flex
Warrior vanek curve. Not a bad curve. Was my first time using it

Great set-up. Enjoy the Vanek; they're extinct and hard to find.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Great set-up. Enjoy the Vanek; they're extinct and hard to find.

Yeah after looking at it I saw how rare it was. It stick felt like a different world to me. I wiffed hard on two scoring chances in open roller. But, my passes were great which is a plus. It's a heel-mid curve right?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah, I think of it as a cross between the P91A and PM9 in Bauer and other brand equivalents.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Up to your technique, but I don't put it in any particular place, probably mid heel.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Up to your technique, but I don't put it in any particular place, probably mid heel.

Gotcha. I'm use to the Kane/Lindros/hossa curve as most of my sticks have that. I then I have a Tavares ccm. So I'm use to keeping it at the heel and rolling it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad