2-on-1 Data and Analytics

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I was recently studying odd-man rushes and particularly 2-on-1's and what offensive players try and do to generate the greatest chance, and also how defenders try to defend it.

I noticed that when players are on their off-wing they have an advantage where they can more easily manipulate the gap of the defenseman by putting the puck behind their feet (something you can't do if you were on your strong side) which can make it easier to make the cross-ice pass which is very valuable to creating a goal. Pic below to illustrate what I mean with the gaps. The arrow closest to the goal would be a more traditional gap if players were on their on-wing, while the second one is the gap they can create on their off-wing.

That's not to mention, that on your off-wing the puck is more to the middle of the ice giving you a better angle to shot on the goalie with more net to see so I suspect Sh% on 2on1's will be higher from the off-wing, but I am mainly focused on plays where a pass is made.

uf7U2AK.jpg

So my question is, I wonder if there's any numbers that might back up 2 on 1 and players being on their off or strong side and if it's worth it for players to risk trying to criss cross if there's possibly enough time to do so.

I suspect not maybe puck tracking which starts this year can help answer?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't know about whether or not these things have been tracked for 2-on-1s and I suspect they haven't been, but the effects of shooter handedness and location have been studied and from what I can recall, shooters on their off-wing have a considerably higher shooting percentage. Something like 8% for a guy shooting on his off-wing and 6% for a guy shooting on his strong side.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
I’m always amazed by pro players who are payed millions and there best play on a two on one is forcing a pass..

The best move i will share here that anyone can don is to hold toe drag or forehand if you are less skilled, fake a shot and pull it to your backhand, if it’s open shoot! If it’s not open you have two choices, did the defender bite on your backhand and is now leaving your teammate open? Pass it across.. did the defender not bite on your backhand and stay on your teammate? Okay cool from the back hand take it to your forehand across the goalie and it’s a goal.

You have to learn yourself how to set this up, where do you fake the shot, where do you pull back hand, how fast you do it.. get any of these wrong and it won’t work

Also if you aren’t on your offhand you can still use the toedrag to protect the puck and make a good play,

Just hold toe drag and protect the puck while watching the short side, any space shoot it, if not pass it through your legs across the crease ( it helps if your teammate knows this is your play and cuts to the net as you pass it, this should not be a long pass.

It sounds like it wouldn’t work but it does

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad