Pre-Game Talk: #2 Colorado Avalanche vs #11 Arizona Coyotes - Pre-WCQF Discussion

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Re-posting:

Haven't played the Avs since beginning of Nov.

Oct 12 @ COL, 3-2 loss
Nov 2 @ ARI, 3-0 win

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Hopefully these games are at a time I can actually watch them. I only saw one period of the last series and it was probably the worst period they played.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Re-posting:

Haven't played the Avs since beginning of Nov.

Oct 12 @ COL, 3-2 loss
Nov 2 @ ARI, 3-0 win

If I remember correctly, that first game was when Hjalmarsson broke his leg. I don't remember shutting them out 3-0 but I'll take it!

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Will be interesting to see who we scratch if Schmaltz is healthy. I know we won a series without him, but I highly doubt our 2nd highest point producer remains scratched.

Grabner should stay in for his PK ability, speed, and veteran presence. He scored two huge goals for us and came close on a 3rd via breakaway.

Hinostroza looked really good in the games he played, brought speed and has clean zone entries. Also made a beautiful play to set up the series clinching goal.

Fischer is showing tenacity and physicality, he may never be more than a 3rd line checking forward but he is embracing the role well. Once I accepted that he won’t be a significant point producer, I’ve really admired his game.

I doubt Hayton sees any ice time unless someone gets injured.

My guess is that Vinny and Fish will be alternated scratches. I don’t see Tocchet sitting Grabner at this point. If we weren’t trying to sign Hall (or someone like Hoffman if Hall doesn’t sign) I would almost like to hang on to Grabs. Good human, elite PKer, good for a breakaway every other game.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Should be a fun series. MacDaddy is probably my favorite non-Coyote in the league. Excited to get an opportunity to watch him closely for a few games

quoting for truth. Love MacKinnon, something tells me we are going to grow to despise him with this upcoming series, and the move to the Central. We can admire him for now tho.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Colorado's lineup for the final round-robin game:

Namestikov Mackinnon Rantanen
Landeskog Kadri Nichuskin
Burakovsky Compher Donskoi
Nieto Bellmare Calvert

Graves Makar
Girard Johnson
Cole Zadorv

Grubauer
Francouz

Reactions: Lemonlimey

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I know it is early but that reach on drafting Hayton and having him develop in the press box is not looking so great.

Play the young talent!

Dvo - Stepan - Soda - Rich is probably the slowest group of centers in the league, playoffs or not. They really should be working Hayton in.

Colorado can run and run some more while gunning, so this really needs to be a nasty trap fest if the Coyotes are going to win.

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Nothing becomes better with forum pu ssys like „aaahhh, we cant win, everybody su cks, trade everyone. We loose that f.. pre game and everything was shit („our series is over at Wednesday.. bla bla).
yeas, Yotes make mistakes, yep, GM too maybe. But

Give these guys some credit, they earned it yet (!).

lets give some positive things, try to believe and good things (can!!) happen.

Lets go Coyotes!! Love u

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Series X Factors:

Has to be Schmaltz and Chychrun for me. Will we see Schmaltz at all? If so, who does he play with? Who gets sat in his place? If he plays one or two games and sucks and is showing bad habits does he come back out?

Can Chychrun rise to the moment and elevate his game to where it was at during parts of the regular season when he looked dominant. He needs to be way more assertive, trust his reads and be really decisive. I want to see him jumping in the play on offense way, way more than I saw against NSH...and want to see him shooting on the PP too. If he has a monster series that could be a really big difference for us.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd take out Hinostroza for Schmaltz.

Series winning assist maker Hino?!?!

It's really difficult. I feel much better inserting Schmaltz into the lineup against Colorado, over Vegas. I do feel like you run the lineup as is until a loss. At that point I look between Grabner, Hino and Fischer of the least affective. I don't think you can remove Crouse even if his play has been slightly worse than Fischer's. He scored, he hits as much as Fish and he will fight (which I don't believe Fischer has done in the NHL).

So one of those three who look the least effective against the new team we will be playing at least four games against is my vote. Hino makes a lot of sense because you are inserting a player that is similar that has more skill but less motor.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd take Crouse and Fischer out for a game.

I'd go:
Hall - Dvorak - Kessel (because Tocc insists)
Keller - Stepan - Garland
Soda - Hayton - Schmaltz
Grabner - Richardson - Hino

Schmaltz is too good to sit and could be real good away from top defenders. He should probably be eased in. If that line sucks, it's not an automatic loss.

4th line is playing great in their role so I wouldn't break them up. Top 6 should stay as is for continuity.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Colorado's lineup for the final round-robin game:

Namestikov Mackinnon Rantanen
Landeskog Kadri Nichuskin
Burakovsky Compher Donskoi
Nieto Bellmare Calvert

Graves Makar
Girard Johnson
Cole Zadorv

Grubauer
Francouz
I wish the Coyotes had even half the cohesiveness and structure of those forward lines. You know, rather than 1 2nd line C, 3 4th line C's, and 14 finesse wingers...

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
This is going to be tough, and it should be. The effort we had against Nashville will not cut it. Chych needs to be clicking, maybe put back with GoGo, he needs to improve, puck pursuit, endless cycling and the forecheck need to be consistent in our top 2 lines, in order to win need to hit their stars again and again, not sure this is hopeless, we will need to see more. Love to see slight adjustments made in the off time, didnt feel we had that against Colorado. If we catch them overconfident or sleeping our chances get better.

My careful analysis is that because hockey games are actually played we have a shot a this, they are more likely to win just like the Pens Rangers Oilers* ect. However games are played with little concern for what fans think. My heart says Yotes in 7. My brain well I asked my brain to shut up till after the series.

*Edmonton cannot be considered a favorite really when Mike Smith starts and Dave Tippet is the coach.

Reactions: kbay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad