GDT: 2/9 Game 53: Los Angeles at BRUINS 7 PM - Milan's return | NESN, SN1, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
B8r6DKBIIAAJvmx.jpg:large

Caxr1puWwAAJAL9.jpg:large

AP_091001052249.jpg

Milan writes a letter to Bruins fans

This is how naive I was when I got to Boston. Are you ready for this?

We had this really nice guy who worked for the team and handled all the road travel. He was in his early 70s. His name was Johnny, and he was just awesome. I was a 19-year-old kid in my first training camp. I didn’t know what the hell was going on. I didn’t know about NHL travel. I knew about WHL buses. So Johnny had my back. He was kind of like a cool grandfather to me.

One day after practice, I was sitting in the locker room talking to one of my teammates, and I was like, “Johnny’s a real nice guy, eh?â€

He goes, “Johnny who?â€

“You know, the road guy. Johnny. Can’t remember his last name.â€

“You mean Johnny friggin’ Bucyk?!â€

“Is that his name? Sorry, man. Still trying to learn everybody.â€

“Come here.â€

He takes me over to the wall on the other side of the room and points to this framed photo. Black and white. No. 9 is holding up the Stanley Cup. His face is all scratched up and bruised. He’s smiling, so you can see his missing teeth.

“That’s Johnny Bucyk. The Chief. He won two Cups for the Bruins. He’s a legend.â€

I was so embarrassed. But coming in, I had almost no idea about the history of the Bruins. I mean, yeah, I knew the names. Orr. Bourque. Neely. But growing up in Vancouver in the ‘90s, there was no Center Ice package. My parents were born in Yugoslavia. They weren’t big hockey fans. Whatever was on Hockey Night in Canada was all we knew. And 99 percent of the time, it was the Maple Leafs or the Canucks.

In five years, I went from walking in the room thinking Johnny friggin’ Bucyk was just some random team employee, to carrying the Stanley friggin’ Cup around the North End. That’s a lot of growing up. I became a man in Boston. I had a family in Boston.

But everything comes to an end.

Everything that happened to me in Boston, I’m so grateful for. But coming to the Kings was really exciting.

I have to say, every day as an LA King has been a happy one. I don’t think I could have landed in a better spot for me and my family. But I’ll always appreciate how Boston shaped my life.

Coming back to the Garden for the first time this week, I’ll be battling the butterflies, for sure. Who knows, maybe I’ll just go out there and drop the mitts just to get the blood flowing. For old time’s sake.

Boston: Thank you. For everything.

Lucic-Grip-Black-Pull.jpg

Tonight's Officials
Referees Kelly Sutherland (11), Wes McCauley (4)
Linesmen Tony Sericolo (84), Brad Kovachik (71)

Ntl. Anthem Rene Rancourt

TONIGHT’S GAME

- The Bruins host the Kings tonight in the 1st of 2 games between these teams this season and the Kings’ lone visit of the year to TD Garden … The Bruins are 28-18-6 overall and are 12-13-3 on home ice … They are 3-3-3 vs. Pacific Division teams and are 5-8-3 vs.Western Conference opponents.

- The Bruins next face their longest road trip of the season, a 6-game trek that will see them play in Winnipeg, Minnesota, Detroit, Columbus, Nashville and Dallas from Feb. 11-20 before they next play on home ice on Feb. 22 vs. Columbus.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

- Loui Eriksson is 2 goals shy of his 200th NHL goal.

- Coach Claude Julien is 2 wins shy of his 500th NHL victory and he is 8 wins short of tying Art Ross as Boston’s all-time coaching wins leader at 387 regular season victories.

BOSTON vs LOS ANGELES, LIFETIME SERIES

- The Bruins and Kings are meeting for the 236th time in their franchise histories with the Bruins having a 82-36-13-4 record and 544-418 scoring edge in those games.

- The Bruins are 47-12-6-3 in their 68 home games of this lifetime series with a 303-188 scoring advantage in those contests.

- The Bruins are 5-3-4 in their last 12 games vs. the Kings and these teams split last season’s series with the Kings taking a 2-0 win in Los Angeles and the Bruins winning the rematch with a 3-1 victory in Boston … The Bruins have won their last 3 home games vs. the Kings and have taken points out of their last 6 at 3-0-3 with the Kings’ last win in Boston a 4-3 shootout win on Nov. 20, 2010 and their last regulation road victory a 6-0 win on Jan. 12, 2006.

Fun Fact: 11 of the last 12 games between these teams have either been 1-goal (1-0-4 record) or 2-goal (4-2-0 mark) decisions with the lone exception in that span a 3-0 Boston win on Dec. 13, 2011.

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20152016/[email protected]?1454993146000

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Whole lotta different emotions going into this one.

Milan's letter to Bruins fans underscores that hockey players do pay attention to fans when he wrote

We were still years away from the Stanley Cup, but those first few seasons, you could feel the atmosphere around the team changing. Remember, this was 2007-2008. Patriots. Sox. Celtics. All champions. We were lost in the shuffle for a while. I remember there being so many traveling Montreal fans that Chara would skate the puck out from behind the net and he’d be getting booed so loud that it was comical.

We were saved by the $10 Student Section. Those rowdy kids in Section 308 showed up every Tuesday night and went nuts. Props to Section 308. But by the end of that season, we were packing the place again. You could feel something special coming together.

I could talk about the Stanley Cup season in 2011. But to be honest, the Stanley Cup was just the culmination of years and years of memories. Sometimes those memories were painful, like getting hurt and missing the Winter Classic at Fenway. Brutal. Or being up 3-games-to-none against the Flyers and somehow blowing the series. Still the saddest I’ve ever seen a locker room.

It’s crazy to say, but I really believe it: we don’t lift the Stanley Cup in 2011 if we don’t blow the Flyers series in 2010. It made us understand what it takes to win. When you think you’ve given everything, it takes just a little bit more.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Mixed feelings as Looch returns. On one hand I understand the business side of why he was traded, but on the other hand..I never expected him to go. He 100% embodied everything about what being a Bruin means. It hurt me (and it still does) that he no longer plays on the team anymore. I haven't been that hurt since the time the Sox traded Nomar. Two of my favorite players to watch. I still hold a small glimmer (delusional yes) of hope that maybe he'll resign with us in the off season. I know, I know. But let a girl dream? :laugh:

I wish him all the best with the Kings. And I thank him for everything he did for the Bruins, the organization, and the community. He brought the Big Bad Bruins back. And while thats gone. It was a DAMN fun ride.

:handclap:Welcome back 17. :handclap:

Bruins, lets keep it rollin and win the game, okay? Losing at home so much is not a good look.

tumblr_lzytaqpKJJ1r2c075o1_500.gif

tumblr_ms8ddeN7Y51rjxng1o1_400.gif

tumblr_mxmnismbBa1qjusseo3_400.gif

This will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Looch moments.
NfMCFQP.gif

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mixed feelings as Looch returns. On one hand I understand the business side of why he was traded, but on the other hand..I never expected him to go. He 100% embodied everything about what being a Bruin means. It hurt me (and it still does) that he no longer plays on the team anymore. I haven't been that hurt since the time the Sox traded Nomar. Two of my favorite players to watch. I still hold a small glimmer (delusional yes) of hope that maybe he'll resign with us in the off season. I know, I know. But let a girl dream? :laugh:

I wish him all the best with the Kings. And I thank him for everything he did for the Bruins, the organization, and the community. He brought the Big Bad Bruins back. And while thats gone. It was a DAMN fun ride.

Bruins, lets keep it rollin and win the game, okay? Losing at home so much is not a good look.

It will be a bittersweet night for sure. Looch is a west coaster and he is not coming back to Boston but he will always be a Broon. I fully expect he will either sign long term with hometown Vancouver or stay with the Kings.

In the future the 2011 Bruins team will be treated like royalty in New England just like the early 70's Bruins team and he will be a part of that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It will be a bittersweet night for sure. Looch is a west coaster and he is not coming back to Boston but he will always be a Broon. I fully expect he will either sign long term with hometown Vancouver or stay with the Kings.

In the future the 2011 Bruins team will be treated like royalty in New England just like the early 70's Bruins team and he will be a part of that.

I know Looch isn't coming back to Boston but I wish he were. I will be the silly lady wearing her new Looch jersey and holding up a sign that says "BRING BACK LOOCH"

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :handclap::handclap:

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know Looch isn't coming back to Boston but I wish he were. I will be the silly lady wearing her new Looch jersey and holding up a sign that says "BRING BACK LOOCH"

Not so silly at all :)

His letter to Bruins fans blew me away.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
One of the more unintentionally funny lines from the letter: " I remember they gave me No. 62. That’s never a good sign."

Guess Looch doesn't know who Trotman is either. Can't say I blame him on that one though:laugh:

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I ll be wearing my Lucic jersey at home. Everything has been said already but again, i miss him like hell. Thornton as well but that's another story.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
So many mems...

His torrid rookie year, the beginning of our return to prominence
Komisarek domination
Van Ryan through the glass
Watching Dmen freak out and make mistakes when Lucic was comin
Dominating a ton of fights. One of my favorites was when Lucic bloodied up a Senator and Pierre goes "Lucic is just a devastating machine"
The Lucic and Horton bromance
2011. Burrows diving and whining on one knee, Lucic punching him in square in the head with the ref looking. No call.

I doubt he will be able to control his emotions. Just take it out on some players I'm frustrated with!

The kid loved to be a Bruin and we loved having him. His contract situation and our cap situation just wasn't going to work out. We had much bigger long term issues to address and it was time to move on

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Everyone needs to let us dream about him returning to the team next season :laugh:

LET US LIVE!

I'll be crying my tears from my couch.
Ps
Give him an extra loud cheer for me!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Randell needs to be dressed for this game.

If Lucic decides he wants to have a fight for old times sake whose going to go with him?

McQuaid is not dressed. No need for Chara to engage Lucic. K.Miller would get murdered by Lucic.

I don't want to see a repeat of the Anaheim game and Lucic challenging Bruins and no one stepping up to answer the bell.

Randell will probably get destroyed but at least he'd be a willing combatant.

I don't see any way Rinaldo fights Lucic, he's got guts but at 5'10 he's not that stupid.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I miss the Lucic that came into the league hungry and hitting everything in sight. I don't miss the post contract Lucic who mailed it in way too often.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I miss the Lucic that came into the league hungry and hitting everything in sight. I don't miss the post contract Lucic who mailed it in way too often.

Play-off goals during the Bruins run.

Krejci 29
Lucic 26 (half I believe in elimination or games 6 and 7)
Bergeron 22
Ryder 17
Marchand 16
Horton 15

Lucic play-offs career

96-26-35-61...155 PIM... +40 .... 337 hits

One of the best Bruins we have ever seen in the play-offs IMO and that's how he should be judged, I could give a flying **** how he played in November vs the Wild.

Regular season he was always top 5 in goals, points, PIM and hits on the team.

Bruins wanted him to be a 1st, 3rd and 4th line left winger all at the same time and he responded quite well.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

tumblr_lzytaqpKJJ1r2c075o1_500.gif

tumblr_ms8ddeN7Y51rjxng1o1_400.gif

tumblr_mxmnismbBa1qjusseo3_400.gif

This will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Looch moments.
NfMCFQP.gif

That last one is maybe the best non-playoff moment of the Claude era for me. I'm pretty anti-fighting nowadays because it's just not that much a part of the game anymore and it's very rarely exciting when it does happen, but reading Lucic's letter about his first nhl shift and then his first shift in Boston and thinking back to the Komisarek fight among many others does make me miss when fighting was bigger. It will never be the same as even just a few years ago. And we'll never have another Milan Lucic.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I was at the Toronto game where he put Van Ryn through the glass. Place went nuts. Such and awesome moment.

Looch has always been on of my favorites. I was there for game 7 against Philly in 2010. I was there for game 7 against Montreal in 2011. We've all been through the massive highs and devastating lows with Looch through his career so far.

It's going to be weird seeing him in a Kings jersey. Hope the crowd gives him a big ovation.

As a side note, now I know how opposing fans felt before they played the Bruins all those years. You're hoping that Looch stays in his cage and doesn't destroy an important player tonight. I think some people forgot how valuable Looch was. He's someone you have to change your game for.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Play-off goals during the Bruins run.

Krejci 29
Lucic 26 (half I believe in elimination or games 6 and 7)
Bergeron 22
Ryder 17
Marchand 16
Horton 15

Lucic play-offs career

96-26-35-61...155 PIM... +40 .... 337 hits

One of the best Bruins we have ever seen in the play-offs IMO and that's how he should be judged, I could give a flying **** how he played in November vs the Wild.

Regular season he was always top 5 in goals, points, PIM and hits on the team.

Bruins wanted him to be a 1st, 3rd and 4th line left winger all at the same time and he responded quite well.

:handclap::handclap: How soon some people forget, absolute beast on the playoffs, miss him but happy he is doing well on the West Coast and hope he continues to have a great career.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That last one is maybe the best non-playoff moment of the Claude era for me. I'm pretty anti-fighting nowadays because it's just not that much a part of the game anymore and it's very rarely exciting when it does happen, but reading Lucic's letter about his first nhl shift and then his first shift in Boston and thinking back to the Komisarek fight among many others does make me miss when fighting was bigger. It will never be the same as even just a few years ago. And we'll never have another Milan Lucic.

I still remember vividly watching that Komisarek fight and I'm with you, easily one of my favorite non-playoff moments of the Julien era. Just sheer emotion from both guys. Jack's call was great. Komisarek to his credit stepped up and I believe hurt his shoulder and was never the same again after this bout.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Great deal they got for him, but man do I miss this guy on the ice as a Bruin. He gave some amazing memories. Deserves a standing O tonight, as far as I am concerned.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Kings are a big, nasty, tough team. Which means Claude will probably scratch both Randell and Rinaldo, when realistically they both should be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad