GDT: 2/7/23 - 7:00PM EDT - San Jose vs Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It has more to do with having Point, Stamkos and Paul that can play center already. So realistically he's either a pricey 3C or he's the 2C on a line where he neuters the offensive ability of Stamkos. It's not a good trio. Cirelli is another guy we depend on in the playoffs to actually score a goal, not just defend. We have enough of those. We need him to produce or the offense will dry up like previous runs and we will say "we have too many two way forwards," but then when we discuss moving the most expensive one, we have Leafs fans in here telling us it's a crazy idea.

Decisions have to be made and these discussions are warranted because his play doesn't look dramatically different. Check your condescension in leafs land or get the boot.

As far as decisions being made, after Killorn walks to another team on a likely 5+ aav deal, it's just re-signing Colton, seeing if they can keep Cole(or signing another 3LD), and filling out a couple of bottom 6 forwards. If Brisebois had planned to move Cirelli, he likely would've done it over the Summer, before an 8 year contract extension was negotiated. Just like last year with Palat, they'll be unable to keep Killorn barring him taking an unbelievable discount or Colton being traded(doubtful but not impossible).

Last edited:

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
I didn't say he wasn't overpaid, as I think he is 750k to 1 million over what I thought he'd get. I also agree that the Killorn-Paul-Stamkos line was working, and that for now, Cirelli should be with Colton and someone on that line. Too many just look at point totals for a 26 game stretch, especially given Cirelli's circumstances this season. He's not even making the 6.25 yet, and even high paid players have down stretches or even seasons, but it doesn't mean that's the kind of player Tampa's got with Cirelli. If he averages 45-50 points a year with his elite defensive play, his contract, while still being slightly overpaid, will be fine(especially with the cap rising soon enough).
With bad tv ratings and Sinclair (Bally) potentially going through bankruptcy, I wouldn't be so sure. It may go up, but not by any big numbers. The million it's going up this year doesn't even cover inflation. In fact, it doesn't come close.

Reactions: Byrddog

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
With bad tv ratings and Sinclair (Bally) potentially going through bankruptcy, I wouldn't be so sure. It may go up, but not by any big numbers. The million it's going up this year doesn't even cover inflation. In fact, it doesn't come close.
It may not jump 10+ into the 90 something range for a few years, but within a couple years it should be in the higher 80’s at least. Even a cap around 88 or 89 will provide a lot of breathing room for many cap strapped teams.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Simply looking at a number in 1 game without context is weak.

Wow...a logical and intelligent response with context.

Cooper & JBB have to be the worst coach & GM in the league based on your posts. I wonder what you would think of them had they not won 2 stanley cups and been in 3 cup finals...damn terrible, not sure how they lasted this long
As was pointed out Cirellis impact on the lines and scoring us the issue. Each of the past two summers we have lost goal production. And replacing it has hit critical mass. The search for a scoring 2nd line stability was realized with Stamkos, Killorn and Paul early this year. The second line does not have to be the shutdown line so Cirelli would be better used in that shutdown role on the 3rd line. When Cirelli returned to the lineup goal production on the line just stalled. If you need proof Stamkos was chasing his 500th goal and was moved up to play with Point and Kuch to get it done and he remains on that line. This team functions better when Stammer is on line 2 . Now I do think Coop to be one of the best coaches in the league but he does harm with where he plays guys at times. Example Pat Maroon on the 3rd line, I love the guy. But he’s not a 3rd liner. Nick Paul earned his ice time on the 2nd by producing . His numbers stalled when moved down.

At the end of the day there is a position for Cirelli on every team , not at the raise JBB just gave him. Fact is Cirelli, Chernak and Sergichev raises for 25 has created a situation where at least one of them must be moved probably two. With the way our D has faultered this year one of the D will go replaced by Perbex and possibility Cirelli because of the number of centers signed. There is a reason that all three of those who got this raise will not have the movement clauses until the second year of those contracts.

I am not going to take the step down and laugh at the many mistakes your GM’ and endless coaches have made since 1967. But I warn the Bolts fans of how dangerous the Leafs are. Just yesterday pointing out these last two regular season losses could have been the point where we list home ice advantage. Playing the Leafs without home ice advantage could well result in the Leafs getting out of round 1 in what 18 years right.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Cap is restraining teams and your correct modest raises in the cap is not going to solve any problems. Bettman will have egg on his face again after saying the cap would increase 4 mil next year. If it goes up 1.5 mil I’m going to be suprised. While there are a number of teams selling out arenas ticket sales does not keep a team profitable. Also not one owner or ownership group holds on to a team so they can lose money for shits and giggles.

Reactions: Bartleby

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hard view here that i'm being condescending. The fact that you won 2 cups with Cirelli as your 2C, and one run with a Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn line tells me that it was successful...pure fact. Claiming that he isn;t that worth anymore after 5 months of rehab and getting a very late start into the season is actually condescending. No he hasn;t put up big offensive numbers in playoffs, but the numbers put up were pretty impactful, and his ability to defend top players nullifies the top guns giving his team a huge advantage, and less pressure on defensive guys to put up even larger numbers, adding an elite goalie seems like a perfect recipe for success......oh right, you guys won cups, and could have easily been a 3rd. You run again to offesnive numbers and depth scoring, he adds to the team by taking goals away, there are 2 ways to look at this. all i am saying. You say you have enough of those that defend, care to share, no team ever has enough.

Lol a Cirelli homer from Toronto, they shun you out over there for delusional posts also?

You don't know anything about this team and make absurd posts like you do.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
The Cap is restraining teams and your correct modest raises in the cap is not going to solve any problems. Bettman will have egg on his face again after saying the cap would increase 4 mil next year. If it goes up 1.5 mil I’m going to be suprised. While there are a number of teams selling out arenas ticket sales does not keep a team profitable. Also not one owner or ownership group holds on to a team so they can lose money for shits and giggles.
One other factor that could impact the cap significantly is an item that was in the news pretty prominently a few weeks ago but has not come up since (to my knowledge anyway), the NHLPA's accusation that the owners have not been complying with the 50/50 revenue split mandated in the CBA. It could be a big deal and I wonder if the NHLPA is waiting for Walsh to get fully up to speed before taking this one on. Given Walsh's background, this would be the kind of thing he would really sink his teeth into. That is, again, if it is real. Stay tuned.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You have an opinion as do I Does it make it right to ridicule me? It's all cool though. Sorry for thinking the Bolts threw this game away playing like crap for over 40 minutes of the last minutes of the game.
When you state, in my opinion, ridiculous claims about a player(rather have injured Palat over him, the ones he loses end up in the back of the net), yeah, expect to have them called out. The team as a whole played like crap after the 1st and the entire Florida game, and neither loss was primarily on Cirelli. Many players failed to bury chances last night, maybe if Stamkos, Hedman or Kuch had connected on some of those power play failures, the team would've won. Guess the loss is on them. While of course it wasn't, it's as funny as blaming it on Cirelli. He's a streaky player that usually has come through in the playoffs with his stellar defensive play and some timely goals. This isn't the first time he's had a 25-30 game stretch like this, and given the injury/surgery, recovery time, and time missed, I'm not that concerned about his play.

I agree there's no reason to have attacked your level of support of the team, my apologies for that.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
When you state, in my opinion, ridiculous claims about a player(rather have injured Palat over him, the ones he loses end up in the back of the net), yeah, expect to have them called out. The team as a whole played like crap after the 1st and the entire Florida game, and neither loss was primarily on Cirelli. Many players failed to bury chances last night, maybe if Stamkos, Hedman or Kuch had connected on some of those power play failures, the team would've won. Guess the loss is on them. While of course it wasn't, it's as funny as blaming it on Cirelli. He's a streaky player that usually has come through in the playoffs with his stellar defensive play and some timely goals. This isn't the first time he's had a 25-30 game stretch like this, and given the injury/surgery, recovery time, and time missed, I'm not that concerned about his play.

I agree there's no reason to have attacked your level of support of the team, my apologies for that.
Now here is some common sense insight.

Reactions: Fan from AK

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
As was pointed out Cirellis impact on the lines and scoring us the issue. Each of the past two summers we have lost goal production. And replacing it has hit critical mass. The search for a scoring 2nd line stability was realized with Stamkos, Killorn and Paul early this year. The second line does not have to be the shutdown line so Cirelli would be better used in that shutdown role on the 3rd line. When Cirelli returned to the lineup goal production on the line just stalled. If you need proof Stamkos was chasing his 500th goal and was moved up to play with Point and Kuch to get it done and he remains on that line. This team functions better when Stammer is on line 2 . Now I do think Coop to be one of the best coaches in the league but he does harm with where he plays guys at times. Example Pat Maroon on the 3rd line, I love the guy. But he’s not a 3rd liner. Nick Paul earned his ice time on the 2nd by producing . His numbers stalled when moved down.

At the end of the day there is a position for Cirelli on every team , not at the raise JBB just gave him. Fact is Cirelli, Chernak and Sergichev raises for 25 has created a situation where at least one of them must be moved probably two. With the way our D has faultered this year one of the D will go replaced by Perbex and possibility Cirelli because of the number of centers signed. There is a reason that all three of those who got this raise will not have the movement clauses until the second year of those contracts.

I am not going to take the step down and laugh at the many mistakes your GM’ and endless coaches have made since 1967. But I warn the Bolts fans of how dangerous the Leafs are. Just yesterday pointing out these last two regular season losses could have been the point where we list home ice advantage. Playing the Leafs without home ice advantage could well result in the Leafs getting out of round 1 in what 18 years right.
Funny how you want to get rid of your strongest defensive forward for a depth scorer…lol, glad you’re not running a team. Second, Stamkos went dry for about 8 or 9 games before the change from Paul to 2nd line, Paul has always been a 3rd line Center even in Ottawa, no coach in their right mind would put a Selke caliber Center on the 3rd line replacing him with a 28 yr old 3rd liner. Stamkos has most of his points on the PP, and having a strong defensive minded player gives a guy like Stamkos more free will to cheat on the offensive side of the puck. But hey I’m just a stupid leaf fan that had no glory since 1967, one that realizes that a leaf team is missing the Cirelli types in the top 6, and it’s what holds my team back. Complaining about a player that has been a key reason that you guys have had the success you had over the past 3 years is just sad, same as sergachev and cernak, those 3 are still young and were key assets to your cup wins.
What those 3 guys signed for was a bargain, in the open market they would be fetching more, appreciate the success and praise the guys that gave you that success.
It’s too bad that you don’t see the value in those type of players, maybe too much success has made you blind!
My team isn’t good enough to go 4 rounds, offense doesn’t win championships, what Bolts did after their sweep was focus on a strong shutdown game, and guys like Cirelli are the key, how don’t you see that is comical.
We have our fair share of problems, one that would be checked off if we had a guy like Cirelli.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Funny how you want to get rid of your strongest defensive forward for a depth scorer…lol, glad you’re not running a team. Second, Stamkos went dry for about 8 or 9 games before the change from Paul to 2nd line, Paul has always been a 3rd line Center even in Ottawa, no coach in their right mind would put a Selke caliber Center on the 3rd line replacing him with a 28 yr old 3rd liner. Stamkos has most of his points on the PP, and having a strong defensive minded player gives a guy like Stamkos more free will to cheat on the offensive side of the puck. But hey I’m just a stupid leaf fan that had no glory since 1967, one that realizes that a leaf team is missing the Cirelli types in the top 6, and it’s what holds my team back. Complaining about a player that has been a key reason that you guys have had the success you had over the past 3 years is just sad, same as sergachev and cernak, those 3 are still young and were key assets to your cup wins.
What those 3 guys signed for was a bargain, in the open market they would be fetching more, appreciate the success and praise the guys that gave you that success.
It’s too bad that you don’t see the value in those type of players, maybe too much success has made you blind!
My team isn’t good enough to go 4 rounds, offense doesn’t win championships, what Bolts did after their sweep was focus on a strong shutdown game, and guys like Cirelli are the key, how don’t you see that is comical.
We have our fair share of problems, one that would be checked off if we had a guy like Cirelli.
Well at least you said one accurate thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce