GDT: 2/7/14 7:30pm Sharks vs Blue Jackets -- Happy Birthday Jody Shelley

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I'm sure you've done a study on this.

[Mod]
Just watching and comparing. Here's the criteria.

1. Forehand and backhand (passable)
2. Passes to own blueline (decent, middling)
3. What puts a guy over the top is connecting on passes to the opponents blueline, especially not on PP. Usually only done on line changes. (Stellar, effectively top 5)

The only guys who do #3 are Brodeur, Smith, Price, Ward, Stalock and Rinne. Luongo, Lundqvist and Nemo never go for distance. They consistently leave the puck behind the net for their dmen or send it to the boards. No direct passing. Nabby and Turco were weird; Nabby didn't have a backhand although he could hit a guy at his own blueline and Turco turned his stick over to make his play. Turco did make some good plays but the change of stick position took time. The final issue is skating; most goalies who are poor skaters don't venture far because they lack the feet to get back to their crease. Nemo is in this group along with Luongo. Thomas, Quick and Price are pretty good on skating. I may be missing some up and comers on other teams, but I trust my eyes. I don't wait for homers from other teams to come to a consensus on a goalie's abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad