GDT: 2/3/16 - 8:00PM EDT - Detroit VS Tampa Bay

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
What was really said in that players only meeting??

My guess:

We are better than this. We made it to the Cup final last year. We are not playing like it. We all need to look at ourselves in the mirror and ask ourselves if we are truly giving our all.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...that-may-have-saved-lightnings-season/2263586
Sitting together in a conference room at the Edmonton Westin on the afternoon of Jan. 6, the players dissected video of their embarrassing loss in Calgary the night before. Usually, coaches run such sessions, but this no-holds-barred critique was a players-only affair. They watched the entire first period, with nearly half the team speaking candidly, including captain Steven Stamkos, goalie Ben Bishop and veteran Brian Boyle.
"Maybe we were a little guilty of coming in (this season) and expecting to win games based on our skill set," Stamkos said. "The league's too good to do that. You may get away with it here and there, but to do it consistently, it's too tough. We had a look-yourself-in-the-mirror moment after the Calgary game, and we've responded since then."
"It was more of an eye opener," Bishop said. "I think coaches tell you what to do, but it's something we looked at ourselves, kind of self-corrected instead of being told what to do.

"I think it's a unique situation where I don't think any of us had done that before, had a self-video session, but it was good, it was relaxed. We weren't getting yelled at. It was something we pointed out to each other. It says a lot when you're being corrected by your peers and not your coaches. That made a big difference, and it seemed to kind of spark us."
"It was kind of a no hold back and a lot of guys spoke," Bishop said. "More than half the team. It wasn't just a couple guys."

The message was simple. The Lightning needed to be more consistent, put together 60-minute efforts.
After the players-only video session, the coaches returned to the room and the meeting continued. It was clear everyone was on the same page.

"You bring up points like we did, and it's open for discussion — we're men, if we disagree, we disagree," Bowness said. "But the points we were bringing up, there were no arguments. It was, 'Oh yeah, that's right on.' There was no need for a discussion from us because it was so very evident. Whatever we were talking about was dead on. The players knew it, they saw it and they reacted."

Boyle said the coaching staff has done a good job throughout in teaching and evaluating. But the answer had to come from the dressing room.

"As players, that's a huge aspect," Boyle said. "Coaches understand that when we have the room, it holds a lot of weight if we can talk amongst ourselves. The respect we have for one another, it's huge, that's something that's definitely there. When things aren't going well, we have that. We showed it."

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
assassins do not an all star make

Originally Posted by J0099100 View Post

Why was Scotty Bowman at the game? I watched without sound
He lives here. He goes to most home games.

he is stevies secret weapon :laugh:
Was that Stevie texting Scotty asking hey Scotty? What Steve ? Should I pay stamkos 9.7 per year for 8 years ? Scotty Stevie yes you should but I think you should lock up kucherov first! Stevie- ok talk to you later Scotty.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Re watching the highlights.
That saucer pass from Coburn to Brownov was super silky.
The Slap pass from Klutch to TJ was a beauty as well.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Player's only meeting? Really?

I can imagine if Stamkos held it.

Do you guys remember him being mic'd up and trying to be a captain and saying something along the lines of "I believe in everyone of you boys!"... I can see something like that on a meeting... how rewarding. :laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Player's only meeting? Really?

I can imagine if Stamkos held it.

Do you guys remember him being mic'd up and trying to be a captain and saying something along the lines of "I believe in everyone of you boys!"... I can see something like that on a meeting... how rewarding. :laugh:

Rag on Stamkos for his production all you want - but I have no reason to think that he isn't recognized as a leader in that locker room.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I can give you a very good idea

Bishop: Listen guys I'm gonna start, speak my bit and I'm done. sometimes you're only as good as your goalie but I've held up my end of the bargain. Say what needs to be said and get your heads screwed on. I'm not gonna keep standing on my head like this.

Callahan: ME NEXT! ME NEXT!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!! Listen I'm not scoring anything but I'm about sick of busting my ass and being the only guy doing it. I've had bad nights too but I know what my job is. Now Brian we got WAY back but I need you to help me out there dude. I've seen you at your best and you haven't been your best. Erik, Killer and Fil, you too. It's not a lack of effort from us. It's CONSISTENT effort. We gotta do this EVERY night not just when we feel like it. I'm gonna say one last thing and I'm done: Captain, I'm not telling you that you don't try but you're the biggest culprit. Stop being so goddamn lackadaisical. You're literally impossible to play with sometimes. Pick it up!! You're the man here so act like it!!! *long drawn out sigh of relief* Damn that felt good. Ok sorry guys. Nothing personal Steven.

Boyle: Thanks Ryan you're right I gotta be better. I think sometimes you're trying too hard and need to loosen up a little. Like you said you do your job but you're too worried about scoring man. Just chill a little that's all. And Stammer I agree with him on that one.

Stamkos: I haven't been my best lately and I'm as guilty as anyone here for not giving my best. I have no excuse. But this is why we are here and I'll agree with Ryan. We made it so far last year and it's gonna take the same effort moving forward. I'm sorry. But don't act like I'm not trying. We all need to take a look at ourselves. It's like nobody cares until now.

Hedman *with a serious look*: Should've had the meeting sooner, Steven. *Stamkos just nods back*

Killorn: I agree man. The collective effort hasn't been acceptable, even my own.

Kucherov: I can't score every night. No one is scoring, going to the net. If I can find a way you all need to find a way. Ok I'm done.

Filppula: I think we all just need to try harder. This is not a bad team but we need more effort. There was never this issue in Detroit. We didn't make excuses we just played. Stop making excuses and fix it on the ice.

Callahan: I'll go again. Flip you're right I think you and me both haven't done as well as we would've liked. No more excuses this has got to stop. This wasn't an issue on the Rangers either, we held each other accountable.

Sustr: gabba bluggle hurggy purgadum jibba jobba *wookie roar*

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also Nesterov had another not good game last night. I mean - it wasn't Carle bad, but he didn't look good.

Would love to call up Koekkoek and give him a shot.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I can give you a very good idea

Bishop: Listen guys I'm gonna start, speak my bit and I'm done. sometimes you're only as good as your goalie but I've held up my end of the bargain. Say what needs to be said and get your heads screwed on. I'm not gonna keep standing on my head like this.

Callahan: ME NEXT! ME NEXT!!! ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!! Listen I'm not scoring anything but I'm about sick of busting my ass and being the only guy doing it. I've had bad nights too but I know what my job is. Now Brian we got WAY back but I need you to help me out there dude. I've seen you at your best and you haven't been your best. Erik, Killer and Fil, you too. It's not a lack of effort from us. It's CONSISTENT effort. We gotta do this EVERY night not just when we feel like it. I'm gonna say one last thing and I'm done: Captain, I'm not telling you that you don't try but you're the biggest culprit. Stop being so goddamn lackadaisical. You're literally impossible to play with sometimes. Pick it up!! You're the man here so act like it!!! *long drawn out sigh of relief* Damn that felt good. Ok sorry guys. Nothing personal Steven.

Boyle: Thanks Ryan you're right I gotta be better. I think sometimes you're trying too hard and need to loosen up a little. Like you said you do your job but you're too worried about scoring man. Just chill a little that's all. And Stammer I agree with him on that one.

Stamkos: I haven't been my best lately and I'm as guilty as anyone here for not giving my best. I have no excuse. But this is why we are here and I'll agree with Ryan. We made it so far last year and it's gonna take the same effort moving forward. I'm sorry. But don't act like I'm not trying. We all need to take a look at ourselves. It's like nobody cares until now.

Hedman *with a serious look*: Should've had the meeting sooner, Steven. *Stamkos just nods back*

Killorn: I agree man. The collective effort hasn't been acceptable, even my own.

Kucherov: I can't score every night. No one is scoring, going to the net. If I can find a way you all need to find a way. Ok I'm done.

Filppula: I think we all just need to try harder. This is not a bad team but we need more effort. There was never this issue in Detroit. We didn't make excuses we just played. Stop making excuses and fix it on the ice.

Callahan: I'll go again. Flip you're right I think you and me both haven't done as well as we would've liked. No more excuses this has got to stop. This wasn't an issue on the Rangers either, we held each other accountable.

Sustr: gabba bluggle hurggy purgadum jibba jobba *wookie roar*

Bishop: Look guys, I'm doing the best I can do. I'm winning games I really shouldn't right now. Kucherov, you want to be the best player on this team. You need to start leading by example. Back checking wouldn't hurt you know!?

Stamkos: You know guys, I can't be expected to score every day. I'm busting my ass out there, creating plays and opening things up for team-mates. Kucherov!? You couldn't score last night. How many times did I open things up for you?

Vladdy: Look Kucherov, I love you buddy. We go way back all the way to the junior clubs for the World Championships. Your kind of holding me back. Step it up man.

Hedman: Kuch....how many break out passes do I have to give you before you score. I can't be expected to thread the needle every time. If you need to learn how to deke, talk to JT Brown or something.

Brown: Please don't. I don't want his bad luck rubbing off on me.

Johnson: Look Kuch, you got to pass it more. Me and Pally are open a lot of times. Work with us and we will score more. Stop being such a puck hog.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bishop: Look guys, I'm doing the best I can do. I'm winning games I really shouldn't right now. Kucherov, you want to be the best player on this team. You need to start leading by example. Back checking wouldn't hurt you know!?

Stamkos: You know guys, I can't be expected to score every day. I'm busting my ass out there, creating plays and opening things up for team-mates. Kucherov!? You couldn't score last night. How many times did I open things up for you?

Vladdy: Look Kucherov, I love you buddy. We go way back all the way to the junior clubs for the World Championships. Your kind of holding me back. Step it up man.

Hedman: Kuch....how many break out passes do I have to give you before you score. I can't be expected to thread the needle every time. If you need to learn how to deke, talk to JT Brown or something.

Brown: Please don't. I don't want his bad luck rubbing off on me.

Johnson: Look Kuch, you got to pass it more. Me and Pally are open a lot of times. Work with us and we will score more. Stop being such a puck hog.

Agree it was a Kucherov bash fest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad