GDT: 2/21/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Boston VS Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Simply put, this team isn't good enough. Coaching questionable wrt Defense, Goaltending and PowerPlay.

They got all kinds of character and they never give up, but that means jack **** with the other problems.

What character? This team only plays hard when they're down a 1 or 2 goals, we coast when we have a lead, our fore checking is weak.

Frankly this team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs with the kind of effort we put in every night.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
It's like we are using this system that implements something that I have been told is a forecheck? Sounds like a made up word to me. :shakehead

All words are made up.

A46JK.gif

(But yes, I've been clamoring for a stronger fore check. We lost Moore, Downie, and Bergenheim over the years and haven't replaced their intensity).

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I don't understand why we don't forecheck. I was at a loss for words when I saw Vinny just stared at Chara behind the net while the Bruins changed. That upset me.

I also don't know why we cant handle a forecheck to save our lives. That's pretty frustrating too.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
This team does not have a problem. It has a series of 89,000 little problems And depending on the day any number of them can and will surface. The issue with this is that here is no quick fix and more than likly there is not enough time in the season to correct enough of them to get this team to where it could and possibly should be as far as the playoffs are concerned.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Well as long as we have Steven Stand-close, we'll be okay. He'll just cherry pick us to victory until he wants to unleash his slap shot.

Bolts4Life91

Feb 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Teams can spark at any given moment look at what LA did last year. A win on Saturday and we're the division leaders, just gotta take it 1 game at a time.

Darth Corgi

Dec 23, 2011
Florida
-Can we pass it anymore on that last power play? Maybe the assistant coach wanted to hold it for a minute too.
-it was an intense game in parts so at least it was entertaining than, say, the Montreal game last week.
-Chara picking on Conacher...Chara could only look bad there.
-Rask has a great mask design though he can go crap in it.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Shots even at 26-26.

Faceoffs won by boston 27-23:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20122013/FC020243.HTM

Meh...****ing boston...we have to play better than that against good teams. Lindy can't give up softies like that, and we have to knock off lazy/hopeless passes against teams that aren't gullible. Why does this team refuse to put pucks towards the net? Whatever...on to Carolina, I'll be seeing TB on Sat!

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
Well, I got to see the first two weak goals.....guess I didn't miss much the rest of the game.

I think for the most part we have a lot of talent in places and severely lacking in others....coaching staff included. Psychology only goes so far - same goes for kicking some players butts.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I don't understand why we don't forecheck. I was at a loss for words when I saw Vinny just stared at Chara behind the net while the Bruins changed. That upset me.

I also don't know why we cant handle a forecheck to save our lives. That's pretty frustrating too.

Partly because we're not a physically strong team. I get the feeling the only thing in the training room that gets a workout is the hot tub. A strong breeze knocks half of our players off the puck (Pyatt not included).

CSampson

Apr 8, 2009
Look at Ottawa...depleted team and still pulling off wins. That's some heart there. And some great coaching.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona

I would love the Lightning to pull out a forecheck similar to what I saw the Kings doing last year during their stanley cup run. They weren't just sending in one guy nor two guys, they had two guys in with the 3rd near the blue line. It was causing so many turnovers for their opponents.

The Lightning have the talent to do it but I will agree that it is odd watching them sit back and just let the teams come at them.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
I thought Purcell played well, kept his feet moving, and reminded us that he is the best passer on the team. Conacher played a smart, feisty game. Lindback was flopping around and looked nervous, maybe needs some Chamomile Tea before the games. Salo and Hedman both made mistakes that led to goals against.

It seems like whenever Frantz Jean works with a goalie, that goalie goes into a slump. I don't think that is how it's supposed to work. I don't know the details of what he does, but from the outside the results don't look good.

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
Screw it... apparently my superstition of staying out of our GDT is no longer working. Sucks that my seats are surrounded by away fans every game :rant:

Anyway, the whole team sucked last night. Even beloved Marty was being lazy and many times I caught him floating around instead of making a play. Be it age or what have you, this is not the same #26 that we are accustomed to.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if some of our players were battling like Thompson, Hall, and Conacher do every time they hit the ice..... it would have been a better outcome. After the first goal, the others played like they were ready to accept a loss and move on.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I thought we didn't play that bad, but giving up those 2 early goals... :/

We need to stay more consistent, and a bit better goaltending wouldn't hurt either

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I'm beginning to think this is a goalie and overall defensive coaching issue. Seems to me that we're always out of position or 3 guys chasing the puck. Like other posters have said, Hedman looked far better when he came over from the KHL and now he's just like the rest. MAB/Lee pairing just kills me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad