GDT: 2-14-2013 "DVD Release Party" Habs @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
i didn't think we played poorly. we struggle against teams that play the system montreal does. they're so aggressive on the forcheck and our defense can't handle it (and couldn't handle it last year, either) despite that, we kept the turnovers to a minimum and their scoring chances too.

it was a hard fought game with very few earned chances for either side. when we got any, price was great, and when they got any, theodore was great.

i won't dissect the game much more than that because it is what it is, and that's a hard fought game. they got a good bounce in OT and that was the type of garbage goal it would take to end the game without a SO.

i will, however, agree that the two-non calls, especially the one in OT, were complete ********. whens the last time we've had a PP in OT? it feels like we're constantly shorthanded, but never get the calls when we deserve them in those situations. garbage.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
A lot of Habs fans are saying Hubs dove. While I don't think he did, could you blame him if he did? This isn't the first time he's had a call go against him (or not happen for him) this year, we already had a no call on a blatant trip earlier, and it was during a 4-4 which I'm sure he knows is one of our worst departments this year.

I keep watching it on my DVR. It pisses me off more every time. I need to delete this.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
A lot of Habs fans are saying Hubs dove. While I don't think he did, could you blame him if he did? This isn't the first time he's had a call go against him (or not happen for him) this year, we already had a no call on a blatant trip earlier, and it was during a 4-4 which I'm sure he knows is one of our worst departments this year.

I keep watching it on my DVR. It pisses me off more every time. I need to delete this.

You need to make room for all the Marlins games you're going to record! :cry:

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
This team is beyond frustrating at this point.

I'm not going to analyze all the players because it was much of the same.

One thing I will say though is that we are a terrible team. Do you know how I know this? Because we score 5 goals in one game and lose yet get near-perfect goaltending in the next game but can't even pot a single tally. That is the sign of a terrible, inconsistent team.

We are just as bad as our record says, and if you doubt it, you are in denial. Inconsistency is a massive problem with this club right now and I don't think there will be any way to change that during the course of the season. It's time to call a spade and spade and start expecting more OT losses each night.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Wtf? How was it a bad game? They were buzzing, had great pressure, and had a regulation shutout. How was it a bad game? I don't get it.

We didn't score a single goal. A single goal. The entire point of hockey is to score goals and we didn't.

We had 13 shots in the first two periods of play. We buzzed for about 7 minutes in the 3rd. I'm sorry but if you think that we didn't play a bad game you are kidding yourself.

Sure we didn't play horrible, but if we did we'd have been blown out like Philly or Washington did to us earlier this season. How many years of OT losses can we stand? How can you really think that after losing 1-0, giving our goalie next to no help and keeping offensive pressure for a total of 13% of the game, we still played a good game.

Call me hysterical, emotional or whatever you guys always do. But that game was a stinker. We go from scoring with no defense, to defense and no scoring. There's no medium with this team.

It's literally too much to ask from this team to get offense AND defense. With this roster we won't be improving much this year on the record we currently have. Way too many guys on this team are having off years (Campbell, Weiss, Steeg, Kuli).

PricePkPatch*

The Canadiens fans have always been that way since they constantly sell out. They also don't understand the mockery that is Club Red. Thus, we're going to get a lot of self-righteous hockey fans taking potshots at us about our empty seats.

I though we were allowed to mock a mockery?

But seriously guys; for all the potshots we take at your fanbase for all these empty seats, I personally would blame your management before your fanbase; you have an amazing fanbase. You make a seemingly empty building buzz with cheers and screams. Plus the whole Rats thing give you a genuine (albeit quirky) personality.

Your management is really stupid for letting these Red Seats be empty even when sold to people who won't show up. They are damaging their own brand by giving the impression that going to a Panthers game would be a boring affair. They apparently don't get that game broadcasts are meant to be a showcase of the spectacle.

They should sell upgrades for Section Red empty seats. It's be smart move; more money and better ambiance.

Now, about the game: man, do you always play like that?! You have had the tighest defensive I've experienced all season. Not to say you we're trapping or anything, but damn, your players are freakish good at reading passes and closing any space.

It's not a case that our team sucked (like we did against Toronto); your guys really worked their ***** off to give the best of chance to Theo, and it paid for 62 minutes.

Hope your team keep that level of defensive acumen, and manage to start scoring. :)

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
It's not even a matter of selling the tickets in club red.. Even the tickets they sell, the corporate people in there who have tickets just go up to the bar,Buffett and leave their seats.. Not saying hey r ever sold out there, but the people that r there are hardly in their seats. Is really a joke. We should get mocked... During a MONTREAL game, where all the seats are always packed... Club red has about 10% occupancy during the games, right where the camera is directed the whole game...

It's more the just a mistake, it's s ****ing embarrassment - IMO it should cost Yormark his job.

PricePkPatch*

I 100% understand the need to foster the business community's desire to attend shows but not actually attend said shows. It's a very good source of income, both from ticket sale as well as all the extras people get to buy in these events.

The Bell Centre sell all their lounges for that very purpose. Fact is; it's just not THAT easy to access these "quiet area" from the bottom-seats. Therefore, it's less interesting for Suits (like they call'em in Toronto) to purchase rink-side seats.

I hope your brand isn't too damaged from such policy. Like I said, I really am impressed by your fanbase's enthusiasm, loyalty and quirkiness. I understand you hate us Habs fan for going "All Your Seats Belong to Us" on a regular basis, tho.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
It's not even a matter of selling the tickets in club red.. Even the tickets they sell, the corporate people in there who have tickets just go up to the bar,Buffett and leave their seats.. Not saying hey r ever sold out there, but the people that r there are hardly in their seats. Is really a joke. We should get mocked... During a MONTREAL game, where all the seats are always packed... Club red has about 10% occupancy during the games, right where the camera is directed the whole game...

It's more the just a mistake, it's s ****ing embarrassment - IMO it should cost Yormark his job.

If they sell 33% Yormark will get a raise. Each seat is like selling 8 regular ones.

I really don't give a damn what outsiders think ; but I hate mostly because it and is sucks the life out of the crowd.

Last edited:

panthertod

Mar 9, 2004
The croud needs to start yelling DREW (like Stu(Barnes for all you newbies) and Booth) every time Shore touches the puck. That kid line has been the best thing about this season so far.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
If they sell 33% Yormark will get a raise. Each seat is like selling 8 regular ones.

I hate it it's embarrassing and is sucks the life out of the crowd.

Talked to my rep last night and he also is in Club Red sales. He told me it is 80% sold for hockey and 70% sold for everything. He agreed it was not the best idea to locate it where it is and that it should have been on the other side of the arena. Most of the people in Club Red sit in the back on the couches and eat, they watch the game on the big screen tv's while they conduct business.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
I think I could take a 1-0 loss in OT then a 5-0 loss in regulation. I think this season is a product of the lockout,and we can see just what players did and did NOT practice. I don't have high expectations of this season,unless the Weiss-Flash-Steeg line finally decide to show up and our D and Theo play like they did last night. It seems as though we have the talent to play sound hockey and win games, but it seems like our D and our Offense are never on the same page. We go from scoring 5 goals one game, to 0 goals the next. We go from horrible D and bad goaltending, to outstanding D and tending, so I think it's a matter of getting on the same page. Maybe it'll take a trade to get them moving together, I dunno but it is frustrating.

On the Club Dread seats convo.. It's horrible! Leave it up to Einstein Yorkmark to do something completely boneheaded that hurts our organization. If they wanted the club red, they should've done seats where the cameras couldn't catch on television. It makes the seats look empty and it is bad for business. It's also bad for business because all of the SSH gave up their seats and didn't resign because they got kicked out of their seats. I think Yormark should give those fans free season tickets on opposite site of club red, center ice,for the entire season to make up for his giant mistake. He's such a joke!

One other thing, I wanted to say Thank you to Pricepkpatch for the kind words. It's truly rare that we get compliments from Canadian fans,or any Canadian team fans and it really is a breathe of fresh air to hear. I hope you enjoyed yourself at the game.

Rats96Yo

Oct 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I really liked the effort of a couple of guys, Theo and Kulikov off the top. I've also liked Matthias' improvement, he is always all energy, but when he is all we have to put on the first line/pp then you have an idea where we are headed. Couple that with a slumping/still recovering Weiss. Not bashing Matthias, he's one of my faves, but reality is reality. What I could not stand was the terrible turnovers and the fact we still can't score on odd-man rushes if our lives depended on it. One turnover for instance, Strachan camped out behind our own net, for what seemed an eternity, only to give it right to a Canadien.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This team is beyond frustrating at this point.

I'm not going to analyze all the players because it was much of the same.

One thing I will say though is that we are a terrible team. Do you know how I know this? Because we score 5 goals in one game and lose yet get near-perfect goaltending in the next game but can't even pot a single tally. That is the sign of a terrible, inconsistent team.

We are just as bad as our record says, and if you doubt it, you are in denial. Inconsistency is a massive problem with this club right now and I don't think there will be any way to change that during the course of the season. It's time to call a spade and spade and start expecting more OT losses each night.

I agree with what you're saying, I feel the major problem is our defensive zone positioning. If you watch when a team is in our zone, our forwards are floating around in the faceoff circles and not shadowing the opponent's defenseman. Typically the only way we relieve the opponent's pressure is to ice the puck, chip it out it and give them back posession or we just dump it down and go off for a change.

The offensive part of a game starts with a solid, smooth and clean defensive zone breakout which we don't execute at all.

Another major flaw is our passing which is just as bad. If you watch Detroit, Pittsburgh and Chicago pass the puck, it's crisp and tape to tape. These two things are basic fundamentals of hockey you learn at a young age. How many odd man rushes or breakways do we get a game? maybe 1-2 of each.

Our system when it works and it does work "sometimes" and is beautiful to watch is to dump and chase, cycle the puck behind the net, work the triangle around the net or pass back to the D for a shot and get a dirty rebound.

We don't have those superstar players that can skate it end to end and set up plays that way, we are and will continue to be a "work by committee" team. Skille, Matthias, Kulikov and Campbell do this once in a while but not consistent enough. When other teams figure out our system, we have to rely on our PP typically to score goals which most nights is a roll of the die. Sometimes it could be top 5 and other nights it's like were killing a penalty.

This all being said, the compete level was better than I've seen lately and I understand most see a 1-0 game as boring. Everyone views a game differently, a 6-5 game is obviously more exciting to some because of the scoring. The game last night was hard to watch at points espcially where we only had 2 shots in the 2nd period until 6mins left in the period but we did kill off 2 penalties. (Our PK is slowly getting better which helps).

I still thought the game was exciting because it was a goaltending showcase and to be honest, it was nice to see our team actually not give up 3+ goals. We are a hit and miss team for the most part. Sometimes we score no goals and sometimes we can score 5, sometimes we give up 1 goal and sometimes we give up 4,5 or 6. That's hockey, every team is different. We are getting points which is a positive thing but we could have had an extra 2 points if we didn't implode against Washington and didn't have an unlucky bounce against us last night and had an opportunity to win in the SO.

To say we are horrible is a bit harsh, you know the makeup and style of game we play. It's not flashy and filled with highlight reel goals everynight. We are a grinder style team that needs EVERYONE to do their part to win games. To say we're not better than the first 6 games is not paying attention to the finer details of the game.

Last edited:

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
We didn't score a single goal. A single goal. The entire point of hockey is to score goals and we didn't.

We had 13 shots in the first two periods of play. We buzzed for about 7 minutes in the 3rd. I'm sorry but if you think that we didn't play a bad game you are kidding yourself.

Sure we didn't play horrible, but if we did we'd have been blown out like Philly or Washington did to us earlier this season. How many years of OT losses can we stand? How can you really think that after losing 1-0, giving our goalie next to no help and keeping offensive pressure for a total of 13% of the game, we still played a good game.

Call me hysterical, emotional or whatever you guys always do. But that game was a stinker. We go from scoring with no defense, to defense and no scoring. There's no medium with this team.

It's literally too much to ask from this team to get offense AND defense. With this roster we won't be improving much this year on the record we currently have. Way too many guys on this team are having off years (Campbell, Weiss, Steeg, Kuli).

I'm about done with your posts. Had we scored, you'd have raved over this game, period. We lost, so we're a terrible team and you only somehow saw and came up with 13% time of offensive pressure. And despite every team scoring a ton and getting shut out within a few games at some point in the season, we're terrible because we just did it?

Look at things as a whole and ride the wave. You just hang out at the crests and the bottom. It's ridiculous.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

But seriously guys; for all the potshots we take at your fanbase for all these empty seats, I personally would blame your management before your fanbase; you have an amazing fanbase. You make a seemingly empty building buzz with cheers and screams. Plus the whole Rats thing give you a genuine (albeit quirky) personality.

Your management is really stupid for letting these Red Seats be empty even when sold to people who won't show up. They are damaging their own brand by giving the impression that going to a Panthers game would be a boring affair. They apparently don't get that game broadcasts are meant to be a showcase of the spectacle.

fan bases will always mock each other. Its the nature of sports. We will always mock your fans, for ex., bizarre approach of coaches needing to speak french etc etc and you'll mock our fans for perceived lack of knowledge, lack of attendance etc. Nothing will change that.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

They should sell upgrades for Section Red empty seats. It's be smart move; more money and better ambiance.

Now, about the game: man, do you always play like that?! You have had the tighest defensive I've experienced all season. Not to say you we're trapping or anything, but damn, your players are freakish good at reading passes and closing any space.

It's not a case that our team sucked (like we did against Toronto); your guys really worked their ***** off to give the best of chance to Theo, and it paid for 62 minutes.

Hope your team keep that level of defensive acumen, and manage to start scoring. :)
What they should do is allow season ticket holders, mainly long term holders and those who had Club Red seats before it became Club Red and refused to pay an extra $15K for them and moved to other seats (if they did move to other seats and not just out of their plans entirely) to get first shot at those if they are not sold or filled on gameday, maybe for like a $10 mark up and sell the season ticket seats that they are moving from. They wouldn't lose money and it would make the building seem more full on TV.

Even though it doesn't seem like it from TV, attendance really hasn't been bad this year. We're averaging 17K, which is right around what we usually average so it's not like attendance has dropped. At all. If anything it has slightly improved. The building is loud every game and the crowd is involved in games. Unfortunately we don't sell out every night like you guys but we're not doing bad.

You need to make room for all the Marlins games you're going to record! :cry:
You're probably right. What can I say, I've come to like throwing things around my room and screaming at my TV after work. It's a good stress reliever.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
There is no way club red seats will be sold at a steep discount. The people who own those seats pay for exclusivity. You are going to see a bunch of upset rich socialites that their exclusive club has been invaded by a bunch of commoners paying 1/10 of the the price they did.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I'm about done with your posts. Had we scored, you'd have raved over this game, period. We lost, so we're a terrible team and you only somehow saw and came up with 13% time of offensive pressure. And despite every team scoring a ton and getting shut out within a few games at some point in the season, we're terrible because we just did it?

Look at things as a whole and ride the wave. You just hang out at the crests and the bottom. It's ridiculous.

Laus I just don't think we played well last night. Other than shore line I thought our offensive effort was completely haphazard and lazy. I thought we chased the puck around all night and I thought Montreal dominated the time of possession and controlled the puck all night long. There were a couple of nice individual performances by guds and kuli.

I'm really bummed the way the season is going. I knew we would regress but there is no area of our team I can pinpoint and see well at least we're always good at that. We are inconsistent at every facet of the game-and that is incredibly frustrating

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl

I feel you, some posters around here are imploding. They honestly do not realize the many factors that are in play with this team in this shorten season.

It's kinda of disheartening to be honest.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011

i dont think the biggest homer on the boards should be calling someone out for being an emotional fan, at least he has emotions.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
i dont think the biggest homer on the boards should be calling someone out for being an emotional fan, at least he has emotions.

Lol, oh I'm a homer? Despite calling out Luongo well before he was gone and getting **** for it? Same with Bouw, Horton, Jokinen, and others?

We're 4 points out and I felt things clicked better last night than previous games. Still a ways to go, not sure we'll get there, but not throwing in the towel so close to 8th (though, still far), hardly makes me a homer.

Doh comes in and wales after losses, only to jump around after a win the next game. I've been him and around here a long time, and I'm hardly a homer. I also wasnt joining in the top pick discussion on our losing streak either.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
There is no way club red seats will be sold at a steep discount. The people who own those seats pay for exclusivity. You are going to see a bunch of upset rich socialites that their exclusive club has been invaded by a bunch of commoners paying 1/10 of the the price they did.

This isn't an airport lounge. It's a sports stadium which is in part paid for by public tax dollars. Who gives a **** what the rich and corporations think? If you alienate the general public, you alienate 90% of your fanbase and you have no team. If you're suggesting Yormark should look out for the top 10% of the economy and corporations instead of the rest of the public because they pay $20K a seat (which they don't even use), you're mistaken.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Laus I just don't think we played well last night. Other than shore line I thought our offensive effort was completely haphazard and lazy. I thought we chased the puck around all night and I thought Montreal dominated the time of possession and controlled the puck all night long. There were a couple of nice individual performances by guds and kuli.

I'm really bummed the way the season is going. I knew we would regress but there is no area of our team I can pinpoint and see well at least we're always good at that. We are inconsistent at every facet of the game-and that is incredibly frustrating

I disagree, injuries have greatly hurt us, and the top line has hurt us. If they'd friggin get it together and get healthy, I think we'd have a chance. May not happen, but as I said above, it's too early to throw in the towel, though, it's getting tougher as we go.

I feel you, some posters around here are imploding. They honestly do not realize the many factors that are in play with this team in this shorten season.

It's kinda of disheartening to be honest.

Is what it is, we all hate losses, just gotta take em in stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad