GDT: 2/12/15 - 7:30PM EDT - St. Louis VS Tampa Bay

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
LOL at anyone thinking we were going to dominate them. Blues are just a way better team than we are. The rest of Feb is going to be brutal for us.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
LOL at anyone thinking we were going to dominate them. Blues are just a way better team than we are. The rest of Feb is going to be brutal for us.

They aren't a better team. They are a healthier team. All teams have bad games. St Louis got destroyed 7-2 at home by Columbus just a few games ago.

We are currently running 3 ahl defensemen. It's gonna be tough going until we get healthy and/or Yzerman makes a trade for some reinforcements.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
These posts are hilarious. If you go to the Toronto board GDT they almost mirror theirs. Difference is TB is at the top of the conference with less than 30 games to go.

You guys know a team is allowed to have off games right? One bounce going for us and we are looking at being 4-2 halfway through hell month and instead we are 2-2-2 which still isn't terrible.

Some of the posts in here are just insane. You'd think we have lost 5+ straight games. This team hasn't lost more than 2 in a row all damn year. Only one other team in the NHL can say that.

They will be fine. Yzerman will bring in a body or two, Carle will be back in time for playoffs, and Bishop will get better, he has to.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
This is a very good team. They have tonnes of skill and it shows in the standings. But the problem (in my opinion) is they have limited will, intensity, passion. Aside from the Montreal game and the ranger games. They rely too much in the skill. Stamkos' quote says as much. They show up and expect to win on skill. But the opposition shows up with that fire, the passion, the intensity and throws the guys back on their heels. They have the skill to fight back and make the score close but if they came out from the start with the passion and intensity the skill would take over and we would see more games like the Montreal/Rangers games.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don't know about dominate, but we can definitely go toe to toe with them or any other top team. We did plenty of good things the last time we faced each other. For this game there were moments, the beginning of the 2nd, long parts of the 3rd, where we played the right way. But when we don't, and we're lazy, the Blues pounced on their chances and showed no mercy. If we show the same effort on this road trip, these teams are going to pummel us. It's up to us to come ready to play, and commit to playing good defense.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He could've been but he should've said, "This loss is on me, I let the team down with poor decisions in the 2nd. We showed fight by playing till the end but by then we were too far beyond. I can't put my team in that position and expect us to win. If not for Bishop it could've been worse."

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-end-home-stand-on-down-note-lose-to-blues-20150212/
“I can’t make that turnover at that time of the game, that kind of killed us,’’ Stamkos said. “We had the momentum, we were getting some chances, it’s a 2-1 (game) and I screwed up. I can’t blame anybody else but myself for that one. . . . It was tough. For me personally, I was feeling really good, had an extra step and then that happens.

“It’s unacceptable for that to happen at that point in the game and I take full responsibility for that.’’

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I think they absolutely take advantage of chances that we a lot of times don't. Doesn't matter if they are healthier. I don't think this team is ready to turn the corner. I see a first round exit maybe even as bad as last year.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I went out to the game tonight. It had stretched of fun, but overall, we just looked like crap tonight. Bad passes, poor defense, and just a lack of spark. I feel bad for Bishop. He got hung out on 4 of the 5 goals. Complete breakdowns. Sustr had a really bad night, as well as Barbs and Witkoski. They really looked over their heads. We needed Gudas and Carle on a night like tonight.

On a good note, Killer has hit a new gear. He is playing like a man possesed. And Connolly is looking pretty damn good as well. He had some solid shifts and that goal was pretty.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm wholeheartedly against paying the Stamkos-Hedman duo 20m~ for the next decade, that'd be a third of the cap tied to 2 highly inconsistent players and a ****ing #1 Dman who can't play the body.

StammerHed2010

Jan 20, 2010
orlando
Went to the game tonight. It was surprisingly entertaining for a game that ended up 6-3.

Obviously the back breaker was Stamkos' giveaway, you could tell that he knew it and he came out trying to make up for it but it was too late.

Barbs and Sustr both had pretty bad games, specifically Sustr. He really was just a liability tonight.

As for witkowski, i thought he was pretty solid. His foot speed isn't there, but its clear that he knows that. He rarely puts himself in a position for it to hurt him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Last night showed us how much we miss a guy like Gudas in the lineup. Stop with the ****ing cringe-worthy stick check attempts already! We have one of the biggest defenses in the league but it is without a doubt the softest bunch of giants in the entire NHL! As Chief pointed out many times during the game they just had to watch how the Blues do it. Every time we tried to enter their zone boom the Blues player will step up and play the body. Our guy ends up on his ass or in the boards and the Blues went the other way with the puck. When the Blues entered our zone our D backed up, let them in and helplessly tried to poke the puck away. It was so pathetic.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Last night showed us how much we miss a guy like Gudas in the lineup. Stop with the ****ing cringe-worthy stick check attempts already! We have one of the biggest defenses in the league but it is without a doubt the softest bunch of giants in the entire NHL! As Chief pointed out many times during the game they just had to watch how the Blues do it. Every time we tried to enter their zone boom the Blues player will step up and play the body. Our guy ends up on his ass or in the boards and the Blues went the other way with the puck. When the Blues entered our zone our D backed up, let them in and helplessly tried to poke the puck away. It was so pathetic.

Is it a systemic problem or personnel problem? I think it's the system. I remember Hedman being very physical after playing in the KHL during the lockout. It was great to see but he soon reverted back to being non-physical. It's like he's neutered every time he puts a Bolts jersey on. I think Sustr is just soft as cotton as I've never seen the physical side of him. It's like Gudas and now Witkowski are the only players allowed to take the body. Strålman also looked for hits early in the season but I haven't seen that side of his game in a while now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Could it just be fatigue? I've seen so many plays where Stralman, Johnson, Hedman have just been lacksadaiasdlcal.
Oh it's definitely fatigue. We are missing two 15-20 minutes per game guys on defense right now. At one point it was three with Garrison out. Sustr, Barbs, Nesterov are all in over their heads. It has worked for longer than I had expected but right now it's showing. Stralman and Hedman are asked to compensate for them and the vicious circle continues. Same story a year ago with Brewer and then Carle who had to do it all. It's not sustainable over longer stretches of time and especially not against the top teams from the West. I wouldn't be shocked if a trade for another D went down in the near future. Something has to happen.

STL calls a timeout, why haven't Copper done that yet, he should have done it in the 2nd after the 4th goal.
Cooper should have called a TO right after the 2nd goal against. For whatever reason he never does that though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pretty much accurate, yeah. Right down to the extra step he had, which I think is a big positive to take from last night. Stamkos looked more like Stamkos than in any other non-"big" performance (MTL, Vancouver). If that guy shows up down the stretch, and plays a bit smarter, we'll have two dominant lines.

It's sad that we've been saying that for over 35 games now since TKO broke out...

RR10*

They aren't a better team. They are a healthier team. All teams have bad games. St Louis got destroyed 7-2 at home by Columbus just a few games ago.

We are currently running 3 ahl defensemen. It's gonna be tough going until we get healthy and/or Yzerman makes a trade for some reinforcements.
Well it was on the road against Columbus after a busy schedule (tired legs). And they did also miss Shattenkirk on D - the leading scorer in the league you know?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My point was that the Blues also missed a key player - Shattenkirk (40 pts in 49 games not bad for a defenseman huh?). And Lehtera just came back from injury.

His point was even good teams lose games. If you didn't notice, the thread had a bit of a confidence meltdown. Congrats on Shattenkirk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad