GDT: 2/10/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Nashville

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I didnt get to listen to this game, but yknow, a point is a point. Nashville is the one of the best home teams this year, and we had a solid come back on their ice. This wasn't an easy game, and you dont beat Pekka Rinne very often either.

When you consider our D-Corps and our rookie goalie, I think this was one hell of a night for us. Could have been a W, but it probably should have been worse. Garrison being back should help. Bring on the Blues, we need to avenge last week.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I didnt get to listen to this game, but yknow, a point is a point. Nashville is the one of the best home teams this year, and we had a solid come back on their ice. This wasn't an easy game, and you dont beat Pekka Rinne very often either.

When you consider our D-Corps and our rookie goalie, I think this was one hell of a night for us. Could have been a W, but it probably should have been worse. Garrison being back should help. Bring on the Blues, we need to avenge last week.

That's a great attitude to have, but it's the wrong attitude after the first half of the season ends. You have to get the whole kit and caboodle, not lose after getting 85-90% of the way there. The fact that we only have 1 comeback win this season is not the big problem, rather it's indicative of a huge problem for a contending team. It makes me quite sure we are not a serious contender whatsoever. I think everyone agrees more experience will help us in this area, but it can only come from two places; these guys have to get better at that in the next 8 weeks, before the playoffs start, or we trade to get it.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
That's a great attitude to have, but it's the wrong attitude after the first half of the season ends. You have to get the whole kit and caboodle, not lose after getting 85-90% of the way there. The fact that we only have 1 comeback win this season is not the big problem, rather it's indicative of a huge problem for a contending team. It makes me quite sure we are not a serious contender whatsoever. I think everyone agrees more experience will help us in this area, but it can only come from two places; these guys have to get better at that in the next 8 weeks, before the playoffs start, or we trade to get it.

Im sorry but you are completely wrong.

They played arguably the best team in the NHL. With a rookie goalie and 2+ AHL dmen on the roster. The game was extremely even and a bounce one way or another was gonna be what broke it open and Nashville happened to get the first bounce.

From about 5 mins left in the second through the OT, TB dominated the game. Could have easily won it in regulation.

They came back from down 2-0 on what will probably be the Vezina winner, on a top 3 defensive team in the league, a team that has only lost 4 times at home, and was like 15-1-1 or something like that when leading after two, as well as like only 1 loss when scoring first.

That point is most definitely a great point to get. Could have easily had two if a little bounce went one way or another.

When two actually good teams play each other, someone has to lose. Theres no shame in that. Especially considering all of the above. This team is most definitely a contender. I dont see how anyone can argue against that at this point.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Well darn.

We showed resilience but we need to complete the comeback for it to matter. Anyways, Nashville is a great team and I'm glad we salvaged a point. On to the next one.

Also, enough with the 3F 1D in OT.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Sorry Sniper, but I can't agree on that one. Nashville was also beaten up, without Ellis (3rd best D) and Wilson, one of their top 6 forwards, we weren't at a bigger disadvantage than they were.

The bigger points remain, our PP sucked and our D was questionable with Gudas and Carle both healthy. 1 comeback win and some people here think we're a serious contender? Come on. You have to be able to come from behind to win playoff games, period. Ask the LA Kings how that works. Honestly, we're 1-2 years away from being a serious contender, or 1-2 roster moves if Yzerman wants to make it so now. I don't like long term waiting because the cap will bite us after next season.

This is how it happens, the growing pains are significant and take 2-3 years + many spry roster moves to cure, probably 98 times out of 10. Is there any conceivable chance we can do it this year? We're talking about it generally, so anything's possible, but not much more than that. Do I want us to win it this year and have 1-2 more years where we could possibly repeat? Hell, yes, I do but after following this league closely for 25 years, I just don't see it as is.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Above all else, on the road vs. Nashville, down 2-0 after 2 with Rinne on top of his game? I'll take a point all day long.

Only thing that bugs me is why Hedman did not hook james Neal! With 32 seconds left in ot! Then go to the shootout.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Sorry Sniper, but I can't agree on that one. Nashville was also beaten up, without Ellis (3rd best D) and Wilson, one of their top 6 forwards, we weren't at a bigger disadvantage than they were.

The bigger points remain, our PP sucked and our D was questionable with Gudas and Carle both healthy. 1 comeback win and some people here think we're a serious contender? Come on. You have to be able to come from behind to win playoff games, period. Ask the LA Kings how that works. Honestly, we're 1-2 years away from being a serious contender, or 1-2 roster moves if Yzerman wants to make it so now. I don't like long term waiting because the cap will bite us after next season.

This is how it happens, the growing pains are significant and take 2-3 years + many spry roster moves to cure, probably 98 times out of 10. Is there any conceivable chance we can do it this year? We're talking about it generally, so anything's possible, but not much more than that. Do I want us to win it this year and have 1-2 more years where we could possibly repeat? Hell, yes, I do but after following this league closely for 25 years, I just don't see it as is.

Only 1 comeback all year. Maybe it's because, oh I dunno, we are winning games from the get go more often than not?

The team is a contender. Now. Period. Every single stat says so. You are referencing a Kings team that was the luckiest in playoff history to win a Cup. Not the model I want to follow thanks.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

Woah buddy, we are talking about two different things right now. I was talking about the game last night, not the playoffs. We arent anywhere near a cup contender right now. Not with the PP being so atrocious, our lack of experience and our defense still in shambles. I was just glad to see the team make a comeback against a great team for a change, and to see Vasi doing so well. I mean the kid only has a few starts, yet he stood up in this game very well.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
We are a contender due to the fact that any team that gets into POs from the East has a shot at going all the way to the final. Once there anything is possible.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Only 1 comeback all year. Maybe it's because, oh I dunno, we are winning games from the get go more often than not?

The team is a contender. Now. Period. Every single stat says so. You are referencing a Kings team that was the luckiest in playoff history to win a Cup. Not the model I want to follow thanks.

We're actually 1-15-2 when Trailing after 2 periods. That's not the best record to have, but it does indicate that we're a front running team. That's to be expected from a young squad imo. You have to actually learn to play in different game situations and it's something that the Bolts haven't mastered yet(clearly). This come from behind to secure a road point against the best team in the league at home, is a good start imo.

The Chicken Little stuff posted here goes beyond Hyperbole sometimes.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're actually 1-15-2 when Trailing after 2 periods. That's not the best record to have, but it does indicate that we're a front running team. That's to be expected from a young squad imo. You have to actually learn to play in different game situations and it's something that the Bolts haven't mastered yet(clearly). This come from behind to secure a road point against the best team in the league at home, is a good start imo.

I agree, I look at this game as something to build on, a step in the right direction. We almost got the lead on that Killorn/Callahan play. It's just a matter of time the luck changes for our favor. Just have to keep putting an effort like they did last night.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

The Chicken Little stuff posted here goes beyond Hyperbole sometimes.

And that's the other thing. What is a comeback? When you are losing going into the third? What if you are down 3-0 after one period and 3-3 going into the third. Would that be a comeback?

It's just ridiculous. I would bet a lot of money that most if not all teams in the NHL don't have a great record when trailing after two periods. It's extremely difficult to win in this league when going into the third losing. That's all.

Considering they just went into the best home team in the NHL aside from us, arena, and went toe to toe with them and even dominated them for the last 30 minutes of the game. Coming out with a point is a win. Sure two would have been nice and they very easily could have gotten two had the puck bounced an inch the other way on a few of their chances. But they didn't and it happens. This wasn't a bad effort, this wasn't terrible play by anyone. It was simple two very good teams battling it out almost in a playoff type atmosphere and leaving it all out there. That OT goal never happens in the playoffs as its 5v5 and not 3 forwards and 1 dman.

This team is probably going to finish the regular season breaking all of the franchise team records. This is a team not to be ****ed with come playoff time and just some of the quotes from last night, especially from Stamkos, should tell you they are maturing.

This team is a Cup contender. Period.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
And that's the other thing. What is a comeback? When you are losing going into the third? What if you are down 3-0 after one period and 3-3 going into the third. Would that be a comeback?

Apparently Calgary is pretty adept at coming back when trailing after 2 periods.

Last edited by a moderator:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Apparently Calgary is pretty adept at coming back when trailing after 2 periods.

Haha yeah. I think I'd rather be TB and dominate most games and not have a good comeback record rather than be Calgary and get dominated most games and luck into comebacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Living in Calgary I do watch quite a few Flames games and the comebacks are quite entertaining. It would be nice to see Tampa have that same kind of desperation when neccessary but it is better to not be in that situation at all.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Not that I want to "justify" a horrible power play because I really can't, but the New York Rangers made it to the SCF last season during a playoff run that saw them go 0-36 on the power play at one point. I mean, look, it's not a *good* thing that the power play is a disaster, but in the postseason where 5v5 play is most important and a good penalty kill is more important than a good power play, I'd say that, if there had to be an "issue" with any department, let it be the PP. This team is elite at evens.

And I know it's kinda annoying to drop those OT games in St. Louis and Nashville in the past week, yeah, but OT is just as much a crapshoot as anything. If we're going to over-analyze the performance of one road game in each venue, then it should be said the Lightning played to a crapshoot against two elite teams, and the next OT in those buildings could easily go the other way. There's process vs. result analysis to keep in mind.

You know, you can cite "lack of comeback wins" and such. Fine, sure, whatever. It helps that the Lightning almost always lead or are tied going into the 3rd, but there have been two games where they erased 2-0 down and lost in OT or a shootout. I don't doubt their ability to comeback in games, if that's our grave concern. Frankly, what game *was* it where they erased a 3rd period deficit, anyway? Ottawa in January?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Not that I want to "justify" a horrible power play because I really can't, but the New York Rangers made it to the SCF last season during a playoff run that saw them go 0-36 on the power play at one point. I mean, look, it's not a *good* thing that the power play is a disaster, but in the postseason where 5v5 play is most important and a good penalty kill is more important than a good power play, I'd say that, if there had to be an "issue" with any department, let it be the PP. This team is elite at evens.

And I know it's kinda annoying to drop those OT games in St. Louis and Nashville in the past week, yeah, but OT is just as much a crapshoot as anything. If we're going to over-analyze the performance of one road game in each venue, then it should be said the Lightning played to a crapshoot against two elite teams, and the next OT in those buildings could easily go the other way. There's process vs. result analysis to keep in mind.

You know, you can cite "lack of comeback wins" and such. Fine, sure, whatever. It helps that the Lightning almost always lead or are tied going into the 3rd, but there have been two games where they erased 2-0 down and lost in OT or a shootout. I don't doubt their ability to comeback in games, if that's our grave concern. Frankly, what game *was* it where they erased a 3rd period deficit, anyway? Ottawa in January?

I really, really want to be wrong on this, but it's not looking likely. The problem is that we're combining several semi serious problems and together, they pose a huge problem. PP? Comebacks? Good D? Lots of playoff experience? No, no, no and no. If they can at least fix one of those areas, we might have a really good shot, but there has to be some improvement, somehow, in one of those 4 categories.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I really, really want to be wrong on this, but it's not looking likely. The problem is that we're combining several semi serious problems and together, they pose a huge problem. PP? Comebacks? Good D? Lots of playoff experience? No, no, no and no. If they can at least fix one of those areas, we might have a really good shot, but there has to be some improvement, somehow, in one of those 4 categories.

Kings D was **** last POs, they simply scored their way to the cup. You don't have to have an allstar-D if there's I dunno, best offense in the League and a good-to very good goalie tandem. A simple lack of comebacks doesn't define the line between contenderhood and lottery.

PP is an enigma, I don't think anyone in the organization can fix it. It just is what it is. And our D when fully healthy is in fact very decent.

And all of our Vets have been in the POs a lot and have gone deep sometimes, 95% of our starting lineup have been in, granted getting swept doesn't provide huge loads of experience but still, we do have a good amount of PO-experience, outside of our goalies but I believe you don't see them as an issue? Or do you want to trade for a backup?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad