2:00 Saturday games?

jester24

Oct 27, 2011
Just wondering how people feel about the 2:00 Saturday start times. Personally, I prefer to make an evening out of my Jet games. To not give the Jets a single evening game on a Saturday (all five Saturday home games are 2:00 starts) seems strange. I know it's done so HNIC could have triple headers but is this the way it's going to be forever?

Looks like I'll be trying to score Friday night games in my group as the Saturday ones would make for a pretty long night!

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't mind them, I'd prefer some evening games though. I find there's definitely a different atmosphere for day games.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just wondering how people feel about the 2:00 Saturday start times. Personally, I prefer to make an evening out of my Jet games. To not give the Jets a single evening game on a Saturday (all five Saturday home games are 2:00 starts) seems strange. I know it's done so HNIC could have triple headers but is this the way it's going to be forever?

Looks like I'll be trying to score Friday night games in my group as the Saturday ones would make for a pretty long night!

Maybe they'll put the Leafs at 2pm on Saturday next season? Or have Toronto play an afternoon game on MLK Monday in the US? :sarcasm: Ha ha...no - I figure it's going to be like this forever when the Jets are at home on a Saturday.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
2:00 games suck, I will miss the open home opener because of my commitments with the kids sports.

PS I'm not even so sure that the Jets players even like afternoon games.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don't like them for the same reason as the OP, for me half the fun of the games is the pre-game build up, going out an hour and a bit before, talking about the game, etc. Harder to do that with 2pm starts. I have 2 of them this year, but I guess 2pm is better than 1pm.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
I'm afraid that's probably gonna be the way it is forever unless we're playing the Leafs (or maybe the Habs). The Alberta/BC teams will always occupy the late timeslot and how often do we see the Leafs not headlining primetime on Saturdays?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't mind and I'm sure our friends overseas are quite happy about it. :) It would suck if I was still working weekends, but none of that anymore.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I know a lot of Jets fans from out of province complained they couldn't see Saturday night Jets games cause they were blacked out on Centre Ice due to CBC carrying hte national broadcast rights, but then their area had the Leafs on anyway so the only option was to watch it online on cbc's webnsite. This definetely lets the Jets game enjoy true national exposure and was certainly due to a push from CBC to be able to broadcast as many games as possible to the whole country.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
Those afternoon games are the only NHL games that we Europeans can watch live without waking up in the middle of the night, so I like them.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I know a lot of Jets fans from out of province complained they couldn't see Saturday night Jets games cause they were blacked out on Centre Ice due to CBC carrying hte national broadcast rights, but then their area had the Leafs on anyway so the only option was to watch it online on cbc's webnsite. This definetely lets the Jets game enjoy true national exposure and was certainly due to a push from CBC to be able to broadcast as many games as possible to the whole country.

Count me in on that. It was definitely frustrating last season not getting to see many game when I was out in BC. Couldn't get the Jets channel and CBC games were almost always the leafs/habs. I definitely appreciated the early Saturday games, even if it meant a 11am start (or noon, I can't remember)

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Maybe next year with a move out out West, we will see Saturday 9PM games instead.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
AFAIC any Jets game on CBC kinda sucks. I'd rather we just didn't play on Saturdays so we didn't have to listen to their garbage C/D team.

Other than that, I don't mind too much. Now we get to watch 3 games on those days. I don't have kids to courier around or anything :)

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I like evening weekend games.....but a 2pm weekend game puts me home in time for dinner and bedtime with the kids....so the wife is happy :P

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
It's great. Pub lunch beforehand, grab a coffee and watch the game on caffeine instead of beers, go home and chill for a bit, then head out to the pub again and talk about the game for the rest of the night while some ****** Leafs game is on.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It's great. Pub lunch beforehand, grab a coffee and watch the game on caffeine instead of beers, go home and chill for a bit, then head out to the pub again and talk about the game for the rest of the night while some ****** Leafs game is on.

Yes! This, so much this, especially the caffeine part. Sums up exactly why I like those early games.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
AFAIC any Jets game on CBC kinda sucks. I'd rather we just didn't play on Saturdays so we didn't have to listen to their garbage C/D team.

Other than that, I don't mind too much. Now we get to watch 3 games on those days. I don't have kids to courier around or anything :)

This! It was embarrassing how poorly those CBC Jets games were done last season. Atrocious play-by-play. Boring.

Love TSNJets, though. I find they put on a very enjoyable broadcast.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This! It was embarrassing how poorly those CBC Jets games were done last season. Atrocious play-by-play. Boring.

Love TSNJets, though. I find they put on a very enjoyable broadcast.

Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I personally can't stand TSN Jets play by play. Their guy between the benches be it Johnson or that other bloke I can't remember his name are good. But I find Beyak's call really annoying. I'd take anybody from CBC over Beyak any day.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. I personally can't stand TSN Jets play by play. Their guy between the benches be it Johnson or that other bloke I can't remember his name are good. But I find Beyak's call really annoying. I'd take anybody from CBC over Beyak any day.

Brian Engblom who played for Washington and Montreal and is from Winnipeg.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I don't mind them at all.

When I am watching the HNIC triple headers my interest always decreases through the games.

I really can't see this changing in the foreseeable future.

Three CDN teams already use the late time slot, which is primetime for them
The Leafs and Habs will always be CBC's biggest draw and will help generate the most revenue for the CBC.
The Sens and Jets will get the matinee starts because that is when they can be given national coverage instead of the regional mess like last year. This actually helps the teams because they get more national exposure.
If QC gets their team they will also be a matinee team so they aren't going up against the Habs.

At the end of the day there can be no disputing that the Leafs and Habs have the largest fanbases by far and therefore should be given primetime slots by the CBC.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

I'll take Beyak over any of the CBC PBP guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad