Prospect Info: 1st Round Kings Pick #29 Center/LW Adrian Kempe

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Incredible! I was hoping the Kings would trade up to get Kempe!
Didn't have to. Steal! Youngest player in the draft...born Sept 13 1996.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=86313

Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net. (August 2013)

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:
Excellent skater with speed and quickness and he uses it to get to openings and to back off defenders. Excellent sense for the game and what is necessary and with his multitude of talents, he can deliver. A team player through and through.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Excellent pick. His offensive skill is underrated. He has been able to put up points with limited ice time playing for a Modo team that struggled to score all season. He gets himself into position to put the puck in the net.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
2nd youngest player in the draft and plays for Modo on the men's team? That's all I need to know, I like this pick. Also, sounds like he is built exactly the way we play our game. Awesome, can't wait to see how this kid pans out.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Excellent pick. His offensive skill is underrated. He has been able to put up points with limited ice time playing for a Modo team that struggled to score all season. He gets himself into position to put the puck in the net.

Incredible. I thought he was top 20 for sure. He's still 17 and will probably be 6'3 or 6'4" and 210.
About Carter's size and speed...maybe not Carter's shot or hands..but Carter's are top 10 in the world.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
There is obviously a reason he dropped to 29. His lack of offense must be a real concern. He seems like a typical Kings pick aside from being a Swede.

Jun 30, 2006
2nd youngest player in the draft and plays for Modo on the men's team? That's all I need to know, I like this pick. Also, sounds like he is built exactly the way we play our game. Awesome, can't wait to see how this kid pans out.

Couldn't believe he plays for Modo at that age.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is obviously a reason he dropped to 29. His lack of offense must be a real concern. He seems like a typical Kings pick aside from being a Swede.

Had 7 pts in 7 games for Sweden at WJC at the U18 Tournament.

2013-14 MODO J18 J18 Allsvenskan 0 0 0 0 0 0 | Playoffs 4 5 3 8 6 2
MODO J20 A SuperElit 20 3 16 19 32 6 | Playoffs 5 1 1 2 6 2
MODO SHL 45 5 6 11 12 5 | Playoffs 2 0 1 1 0 0
Sweden U18 WJC-18 7 1 6 7 16 -2 |
Sweden U18 (all) International-Jr 16 7 8 15 26 -3

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
How many points do 17 year olds put up in a mens league. Kopitar at that age played 5 games and had zero points. Came in the next year and had 20 in 47 at 18.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Think it's called lack of vision. He's 17 and barely eligible for this draft. We are stocked and can afford to have a player that might not be ready for 3-5 years without issue. And if he is ready earlier our luck.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This is a really great pick.

Here's my pre-draft report. And yes I had him 9th for the entire draft.

9. C Adrian Kempe (MODO, SHL) - Despite being one of the youngest players in this draft Kempe has one of the most pro ready frames. He is a big and strong and has already proven he can play against men with MODO (who from a town of 29,000 has produced Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Victor Hedman). After a very pedestrian season in the juniors at 16 Kempe broke out this year. Kempe plays a very mature two-way game emphasized by the trust he was shown by the coaches of MODO - one of the top defensive teams in SHL. Don't let that diminish his offensive upside. Kempe loves to drive the net and has a deceptive shot which he uses too infrequently. Kempe sees the ice extremely well and makes some fantastic plays. He controls the puck very well and works well in the corners. For a big man he also has a very powerful stride. He is the prototypical two-way playmaking center that every team covets.

Birthdate: September 13, 1996. Height: 6'2''. Weight: 187lbs.

NHL Projection: Two-way, playmaking 1st line center

Comparable: Anze Kopitar

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He can score. 5 goals on Modo 3rd and 4th line at 17 is phenomenal.

Looking forward to TG's take.

• A member of Sweden’s gold-medal winning team at the 2013 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Kempe averaged a goal per game (5-0—5) including a second-period tally in the team’s 7-5 win over Russia in the final.

• At the 2014 Under-18 World Championship, Kempe finished third on the team with seven points (1-6—7) in seven games as Sweden placed fourth, falling 3-1 to Canada in the bronze-medal game. He also tallied three points (2-1—3) in four games at the 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
This is a really great pick.

Here's my pre-draft report. And yes I had him 9th for the entire draft.

9. C Adrian Kempe (MODO, SHL) - Despite being one of the youngest players in this draft Kempe has one of the most pro ready frames. He is a big and strong and has already proven he can play against men with MODO (who from a town of 29,000 has produced Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Victor Hedman). After a very pedestrian season in the juniors at 16 Kempe broke out this year. Kempe plays a very mature two-way game emphasized by the trust he was shown by the coaches of MODO - one of the top defensive teams in SHL. Don't let that diminish his offensive upside. Kempe loves to drive the net and has a deceptive shot which he uses too infrequently. Kempe sees the ice extremely well and makes some fantastic plays. He controls the puck very well and works well in the corners. For a big man he also has a very powerful stride. He is the prototypical two-way playmaking center that every team covets.

Birthdate: September 13, 1996. Height: 6'2''. Weight: 187lbs.

NHL Projection: Two-way, playmaking 1st line center

Comparable: Anze Kopitar

wow, high ceiling projection as a 2-way playmaking 1st line center? i think TSN had him as a 3rd liner projection. either way, seems like a project boom or bust prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad