Proposal: 1st(25) + Nathan Beaulieu to move up

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I would be ok if the Leafs did that. I don't understand why people are so low on Beaulieu. I think he's a good #4/5 who can help the PP.

We don't need another PP QB. Rielly doesn't even get PP time anymore with the ways Babs runs his PP with 4 forwards.

We also have too much LHD now with Rielly, Gardiner, Rosen, Dermott, Nielsen in our system. Our organizational need is RHD unless it's a clear upgrade at LHD which this is not. We're in more need of making sure we pick in the teens to ensure we get the BPA because once you get to the Habs pick, your start entering the territory where the tiers are no longer well-defined. It's a good draft this year to be picking in the teens as it is deep, maybe deeper than last years but obviously, a lot weaker at the top but once you hit around #18 or so, that fades away.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Sabres offer #8 overall for Sergachev :sarcasm:

I'd actually offer #8 + #37 for Sergachev. Habs can package #8+#25+#37 and possibly get into the top 3. If you are finally looking to get that elusive potential 1C at the very least a high end 2C then you want to target Vilardi,Glass or Mittelstadt if you can't get into the top 2 for Patrick/Hischier. I doubt the Flyers or Devils want to bypass the two best centers in the draft for just a late 1st and early 2nd but for Dallas I think they can use another late first and early second to add depth to organization.

So Sergachev to Buffalo for #8+#37. Then #8+#25+#37 to Dallas for #3 and the Habs draft Vilardi or Mittelstadt (I personally would take Vilardi).

I may be in the minority of Habs fans, but I would do this if Buffalo adds a bit more. Assuming any of Vilardi, Glass, Mittlestadt or Pettersson are still there.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I may be in the minority of Habs fans, but I would do this if Buffalo adds a bit more. Assuming any of Vilardi, Glass, Mittlestadt or Pettersson are still there.

I'd rather trade Sergachev for an NHL-ready center in that case. Unless Bergevin is willing to do something drastic, the Habs are on the clock here. Not sure they can afford to wait a few years to develop a center, especially considering our track record in that department.

Not saying any of those names are available, or that a straight-up trade would do the trick, but if you trade Sergachev for someone young, I'd go after guys like Barzal, Strome, etc.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
What good prospects we do have developing are far too important to use for trading at all never mind trading up. Have to have quality players coming in on elc's all the time.

Even Beaulieu i like. He makes some bonehead plays but hes young and has improved every year, Sure if a deal with him and say 1st and a second or two got us into the top 3-5 and there is a great center available id do it. But to move up 10-15 spots? no way.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

It's 100% guarantee that one of those listed above will be there at #8. The great thing about this draft is that the top 5 forward prospects in this draft are ALL centers. This is the perfect draft for the Habs to move up and get their 1C of the future. While none of them will be superstar top 10 center types there will be a good handful of future 60 point high high end 2C low end 1Cs.

Patrick and Hischier go top 2. Makar and Heiskanen are also going in the top 7. So with those 4 gone and only 3 picks left before #8 that means the Buffalo pick is guaranteed to be one of Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Rasmussen, Pettersson. So what else besides #8+37 for Sergachev? Buffalo could include one of Bailey or Baptiste, future top 9 forwards capable of 15-20 goals. They are quality prospects who have sure NHL futures.

8+37+Bailey/Baptiste+MIN 2nd for Sergachev. So a guarantee of a high end center prospect, two seconds and a quality winger prospect. I think Glass is the most likely available at 8 and he can be the answer to the Habs woes looking for a top line center. As for Reinhart for Sergachev Sabres pass. Reinharts already established and will be a future 65 point top center. No chance the Sabres would have dealt Reinhart for #9 last year to draft Sergachev. Reinhart was the #2 pick in 2014 and will develop into a 2 way 65-70 point center. Sergachev doesn't hold that value. He is more of a #2 dman, hence why I offered a first that will draft a similar prospect to Sergachev PLUS a high second, a late 2nd and a quality future 15-20 goal scoring NHL winger.

I'd rather trade Sergachev for an NHL-ready center in that case. Unless Bergevin is willing to do something drastic, the Habs are on the clock here. Not sure they can afford to wait a few years to develop a center, especially considering our track record in that department.

Not saying any of those names are available, or that a straight-up trade would do the trick, but if you trade Sergachev for someone young, I'd go after guys like Barzal, Strome, etc.

If you mean Dylan the yotes wouldn't move him for Sergachev. I doubt the Isles move Barzal for him either. The Habs are best getting and developing their future franchise center. A guy like Glass would be great, draft him as your future 1C, give him his d+1 back to juniors so he can dominate and go to the WJCs, then in his D+2 ease him in a 3C role and possibly by the end of the season he's in a top 6C role. By D+3 Glass is firmly a 2C and D+4/+5 at age ~22/23 he is likely fully developed as a 60-70 point high end center the Habs haven't had for years.

Last edited:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
It's 100% guarantee that one of those listed above will be there at #8. The great thing about this draft is that the top 5 forward prospects in this draft are ALL centers. This is the perfect draft for the Habs to move up and get their 1C of the future. While none of them will be superstar top 10 center types there will be a good handful of future 60 point high high end 2C low end 1Cs.

Patrick and Hischier go top 2. Makar and Heiskanen are also going in the top 7. So with those 4 gone and only 3 picks left before #8 that means the Buffalo pick is guaranteed to be one of Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Rasmussen, Pettersson. So what else besides #8+37 for Sergachev? Buffalo could include one of Bailey or Baptiste, future top 9 forwards capable of 15-20 goals. They are quality prospects who have sure NHL futures.

8+37+Bailey/Baptiste+MIN 2nd for Sergachev. So a guarantee of a high end center prospect, two seconds and a quality winger prospect. I think Glass is the most likely available at 8 and he can be the answer to the Habs woes looking for a top line center. As for Reinhart for Sergachev Sabres pass. Reinharts already established and will be a future 65 point top center. No chance the Sabres would have dealt Reinhart for #9 last year to draft Sergachev. Reinhart was the #2 pick in 2014 and will develop into a 2 way 65-70 point center. Sergachev doesn't hold that value. He is more of a #2 dman, hence why I offered a first that will draft a similar prospect to Sergachev PLUS a high second, a late 2nd and a quality future 15-20 goal scoring NHL winger.

I make this trade easily.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
If you mean Dylan the yotes wouldn't move him for Sergachev. I doubt the Isles move Barzal for him either. The Habs are best getting and developing their future franchise center. A guy like Glass would be great, draft him as your future 1C, give him his d+1 back to juniors so he can dominate and go to the WJCs, then in his D+2 ease him in a 3C role and possibly by the end of the season he's in a top 6C role. By D+3 Glass is firmly a 2C and D+4/+5 at age ~22/23 he is likely fully developed as a 60-70 point high end center the Habs haven't had for years.

See, that's the scary part for me.
I'd be much more comfortable with the idea of letting another organization develop him at this point, and trade for him once he's NHL-ready. :D

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
See, that's the scary part for me.
I'd be much more comfortable with the idea of letting another organization develop him at this point, and trade for him once he's NHL-ready. :D
:laugh:
I don't think you're giving your organization enough credit for long term development of players.

And if a team is spending 2-3 full years developing a player and think he's on the cusp of reaching his full potential I don't think they'd decide to move the player barring a big overpayment. That's why you have to acquire a prospect at the beginning of their developmental path or else you are going to be paying full retail price and then a bunch more on top to "purchase" said player. I mean why would a team draft a young high end center projected as a 60/70 point 1C and then trade him on the cusp of being a full time player? They'd keep said center prospect at that point.

Please don't apply for the GM role. This is daylight robbery by the Habs.

Not really, a lot of Sabre fans wanted Sergachev at 8 last year instead we took Nylander. Nylander and Sergachev would easily be the third or fourth overall pick in this years draft at worst. 37 is a decent piece I guess but the MIN 2nd is literally in the late 50s. Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching don't have spots available for all three. One of them would have to go. It isn't highway robbery. It's paying full retail value on a future top pairing dman. Sergachev is a high end D prospect. Those cost quite a bit. If the draft was stronger then yes it would be a bad deal moving #8+#37+#57+Bailey/Baptiste for Sergachev duo while a very good young dman isnt projected to be an all around #1 franchise D, more like a high end #2. But the draft isn't deep at all, so #37 and #57 aren't really a solid valuable as it normally would be. And like I said Bailey/Baptiste are projected as long term third liners chipping in ~15 goals when fully developed. They are not sure fire second liners, they will likely develop into 15-20-35 type production. That's pretty good for middle 6 production.

I'd rather offer a slight overpayment then make proposals on this board that rip off the other team. There's are enough one sided proposals, I'd rather make fair ones.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
:laugh:
I don't think you're giving your organization enough credit for long term development of players.

And if a team is spending 2-3 full years developing a player and think he's on the cusp of reaching his full potential I don't think they'd decide to move the player barring a big overpayment. That's why you have to acquire a prospect at the beginning of their developmental path or else you are going to be paying full retail price and then a bunch more on top to "purchase" said player. I mean why would a team draft a young high end center projected as a 60/70 point 1C and then trade him on the cusp of being a full time player? They'd keep said center prospect at that point.

Yeah, I know you're right.
...and we all know how 'HARD' it is to make trades by now, don't we ? :help: ;)

That being said, I still don't think I'd trade Sergachev. With Markov not getting any younger, Beaulieu not taking the next step, Emelin probably on his last year, and an unproven Jerabek...the left side of our D is already pretty thin.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Unless your moving into the top 3, or getting one hell of a great deal, this years draft class isn't worth trading to move up for.

Every team will have a different board. Its very possible someone they have as a top 10 talent "falls" and makes them want to pull the trigger to move top 17 or whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad