1999 NHL Draft: Worst in recent memory?

nwaZ*

Boynton appeared in an All Star game? That's unexpected to say the least.

Ryan Miller was drafted in the fifth round and has been somewhat of a 'star player' I guess. Strange how the stars align, in terms of NHL games played this draft must be horrible.

Why was Frantisek Kaberle, born in 1973, drafted here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Boynton appeared in an All Star game? That's unexpected to say the least.

Ryan Miller was drafted in the fifth round and has been somewhat of a 'star player' I guess. Strange how the stars align, in terms of NHL games played this draft must be horrible.

Why was Frantisek Kaberle, born in 1973, drafted here?

A rather small, offensive defenceman who didn't play a physical game. This kind of Czech players wasn't exactly sought after in early 90's, what helped him down the road was the Czech international success later in the decade, which he was a crucial part of. Similar cases were Roman Čechmánek, Jaroslav Špaček or Petr Čajánek.

JA

I contributed a post to the General Discussion's Patrik Stefan thread.

The kid had three concussions in the 1997-98 IHL season, two of which kept him out for the majority of the season. By the time he was drafted, he was already damaged beyond repair.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
The peak talent here is not bad. You have Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smythe and Vezina winners and First and Second Team All-Stars in the Sedins, Zetterberg, and Miller. It's the lack of depth that's pretty grim.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If the Sedins never break out post-lockout, it would have looked hysterically bad.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You still have to give the 1996 draft it's due over this one. That was worse. 1999 had plenty of busts in the 1st round, but 1996 has just one HHOFer that I can see and it's Chara.

1999 at least has ones like Sedin(s) and Zetterberg, most likely getting in the HHOF (although I am not sure I'd induct Daniel Sedin).

The thing is, at the time the 1999 Draft was thought to be a great, deep draft with lots of top end talent. No joke. But those 1st rounders and then some......

1st Stefan - Was thought to be a guy that would be a supreme playmaker
2nd Sedin (both) - It was common knowledge the best recipe was to not separate them
4th Brendl - His first NHL goal was a floater from center ice. He had 10 more after that, but everyone drooled over the 73 goals in his draft year
5th Connolly - I guess he was okay. But only decent.
6th Finley - This was the best goalie? It's true. He only played 4 NHL games though.
7th Beech - There was an entire article on him in the Hockey News about how he was the "safest" pick in the draft. 67 points in 198 NHL games isn't safe.
9th Lundmark - He was a sure thing
15th Kelman - Was often compared to Manny Malhotra. He never played an NHL game.
22nd Ouellet - The one French-Canadian goalie who did NOT translate well into the NHL. 12 games.
23rd McCarthy - For whatever reason he dropped to 23rd. At one point the way they talked about him was the way they talked about Drew Doughty.
24th Cereda - This was a strange time for the Leafs. They picked European players that busted at this time and ignored everything else.
31st Stephens - Best known for the guy who was once in the Esquire Watch commercials. Played 8 NHL games.
47th Keefe - Yes, THAT Keefe. Sheldon Keefe. A disciple of David Frost. One I still don't trust to this day especially with him now the new coach of Toronto Marlies. There are still unexplained things with what he did............well, Google it. Either way, all the talent in the world and a horrible attitude.

The rest were products of that obsession people had in 1999 by taking "big guys". Lots of Americans taken early in this draft too. It was supposed to be the time the Yanks would take over. But size was over-emphasized yet again. Here are these luminaries that were "big":

Jeff Jillson, Nolan Yonkman, Alexei Semenov, Kristian Kudroc................

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You still have to give the 1996 draft it's due over this one. That was worse. 1999 had plenty of busts in the 1st round, but 1996 has just one HHOFer that I can see and it's Chara.

The difference between 1996 and 1999 for me was that scouts were dreading 1996 ahead of time. 1999 at least had the usual amount of optimism. I have an old DVD with an NHL Cool Shots segment with the lead up to that draft. It's funny to hear George McPhee gush about Beech. Ducks VP Jack Ferreira congratulated Neil Smith for landing the "best player in the draft" at #9.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
At one point it looked like David Tanabe (16th pick) was going to be a decent top 4 guy. His career in a way sort of reminds me of Jamie McBain. Signs of early brilliance, lots of potential, but ends up as a journeyman.

Unfortunately for Tanabe, injuries got the best of him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The difference between 1996 and 1999 for me was that scouts were dreading 1996 ahead of time. 1999 at least had the usual amount of optimism. I have an old DVD with an NHL Cool Shots segment with the lead up to that draft. It's funny to hear George McPhee gush about Beech. Ducks VP Jack Ferreira congratulated Neil Smith for landing the "best player in the draft" at #9.

Someone on these boards way back whenever had a link to a story about this. Scouts/media etc. were saying Jamie Lundmark was the second coming of Steve Yzerman. I wish I could find it but have no idea where it is or how old it is :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Someone on these boards way back whenever had a link to a story about this. Scouts/media etc. were saying Jamie Lundmark was the second coming of Steve Yzerman. I wish I could find it but have no idea where it is or how old it is :laugh:

It's too bad most of the stuff from back then isn't archived. There was a favorite of mine written by a Calgary based journalist Eric Francis who predicted that Lundmark/Brendl would be better than the Sedins.

I have distinct memories of Tanabe being a thorn in the Devils side. Even in his short time in Phoenix, he put up a 2 point game against us.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Terrible draft for sure, worse still is the Islanders who that year had 4 1st rounders. Only 1 of whom really panned out (Connolly)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
47th Keefe - Yes, THAT Keefe. Sheldon Keefe. A disciple of David Frost. One I still don't trust to this day especially with him now the new coach of Toronto Marlies. There are still unexplained things with what he did............well, Google it. Either way, all the talent in the world and a horrible attitude.

I trust him plenty now, over the past ten years he really cleaned up his act, bought/ran/coached a Junior A team that did very good (most wins in CCHL league history, 2011 Nat. Junior A Champs), went to the Greyhounds and developed some NHL draft picks. You're forgetting the "evil" stuff he did was during his teens/early twenties when most guys that age are prone to stupid decisions and peer pressure.

Anyway, back to the to pic - Nick Boynton made an All-Star Game? WTF? :amazed:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like I just said in the Stefan thread, this draft (unlike 1996 and 2004 which were considered terrible right from the start) was considered outstanding at the time. Was thought to have the best, deepest group of forwards in years although lacking in blueline talent.

The top 4 guys were all considered future superstars who would have been #1 picks most years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At the risk of sounding sappy, the '99 Draft is memorable for me since it coincided with my first year of college. So for the first time, I had a fast internet connection at my disposal and could spend an inordinate amount of time reading up on prospects. In prior years, the only draft coverage I'd get was The Hockey News draft issue.

The other interesting wrinkle with Nick Boynton was that he re-entered the Draft after being a top 10 pick in 1997.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I loved the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

It was in Boston, and they had the Stanley Cup on display. It was the FIRST time I ever got to touch - and have my picture taken with - the Stanley Cup :D It was (up to that point) my most awesome experience as a hockey fan.

Having said that; I'd have to say that the 1999 NHL Entry Draft ranks up there with the greatest of all time :handclap:

(...at least for me, anyway. I suppose there were other drafts that produced better players...)

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
It's arguably the worst draft in Canadiens history. Admittedly no 1st rd. pick, but of their 11 choices only Matt Carkner, w/ 237 games (none in Mtl.), ever made the NHL. Top pick Alexander Buturlin never even left Russia.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's arguably the worst draft in Canadiens history. Admittedly no 1st rd. pick, but of their 11 choices only Matt Carkner, w/ 237 games (none in Mtl.), ever made the NHL. Top pick Alexander Buturlin never even left Russia.

All of the Thrashers picks bombed except for Garnet Exelby (217th overall, 408 NHL Games)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
All of the Thrashers picks bombed except for Garnet Exelby (217th overall, 408 NHL Games)

Derek MacKenzie is still going strong in Florida, preceded by a long stopover in Columbus that turned him into an actual NHL player.

I maintain he's one of the best fourth-line centers in the game today, and has been for a few years.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The thing is, at the time the 1999 Draft was thought to be a great, deep draft with lots of top end talent. No joke. But those 1st rounders and then some......

I don't recall this being the case. I seem to remember a THN scout contributor alluding to this by saying something like, "Finally, a draft that's underrated. We've been badmouthing this class for years, but it'll be right there with a lot of other ones soon."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Like I just said in the Stefan thread, this draft (unlike 1996 and 2004 which were considered terrible right from the start) was considered outstanding at the time. Was thought to have the best, deepest group of forwards in years although lacking in blueline talent.

The top 4 guys were all considered future superstars who would have been #1 picks most years.

This is true actually. The Sedin's junior numbers were put up against Peter Forsberg's, Patrik Stefan looked like a franchise center, Pavel Brendl was a big time junior producer, Tim Connolly and Jamie Lundmark were your typical next Steve Yzerman type center prospects, and I also remember Denis Shvidki and Jani Rita getting tons of advanced hype as early candidates to go in the top five. So many names, so little talent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad