1999 and 2000, Dallas vs. Colorado Western Conference Finals

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
The big rivalry of the late 1990s and early 2000s (especially in the Western Conference) was Detroit vs. Colorado. But there was certainly a 3rd heavyweight in Dallas (one could maybe even argue St. Louis as well, but they didn't have a ton of playoff success in those days) that played Detroit and especially Colorado very tough in the playoffs.

The two years the Stars and Avalanche locked horns in the Western Conference Finals were great series. I don't remember a ton about them, but in 1999 I thought Dallas was a little bit better but it seems like most think that Colorado was slightly better in 2000, and both times Dallas emerged victorious in game 7 on home ice.

What are your guys' thoughts on those two series? What were some of the reasons Dallas won and Colorado lost? Would Colorado have likely beaten Buffalo in '99 or New Jersey in '00? Maybe the 2001 Mission:16W doesn't exist if they overcome Dallas in 2000.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What are your guys' thoughts on those two series? What were some of the reasons Dallas won and Colorado lost? Would Colorado have likely beaten Buffalo in '99 or New Jersey in '00? Maybe the 2001 Mission:16W doesn't exist if they overcome Dallas in 2000.

Each of 1999 and 2000 was a tight series, especially 2000 when there was only a one goal difference between the teams. Dallas was the better defensive team and had better coaching. More disciplined game. I do think that Colorado would have beaten Buffalo in 1999. Regarding Colorado's 2001 rallying cry, nothing changes if they beat Dallas but lose to New Jersey (most likely outcome). I don't see why Bourque wouldn't come back after making the finals. If Colorado won in 2000 and Bourque retired however that does change things in 2001. Hard to say who wins the West, it might even still be Colorado, but New jersey probably wins the Stanley Cup.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not as good as the Detroit/Colorado series (Again what was in the mid to late 90's?) but still some good series, their 2000 West final match was a 7 gamer and led Dallas back into the finals.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Not as good as the Detroit/Colorado series (Again what was in the mid to late 90's?) but still some good series, their 2000 West final match was a 7 gamer and led Dallas back into the finals.

I still remember the last 15 seconds of Game 7 between the Stars and Avs. The Stars were up 3-2, and then Raymond Bourque hit the post and just missed scoring the tying goal. What a thriller.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad