1997-1998 Montreal Canadiens

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So this was the year AV was hired, alongside Dave King. They insulated Thibault with a veteran backup who had seen it all in Andy Moog. I mean, the move made sense to try and unburden Thibault of some pressure, and as an insurance policy if Thibault crumbles.

But I was listening to a podcast recently where it sounds like that the habs actually thought more of Glen Healy than Andy Moog. Healy said (and I paraphrase) that he had already met with the management, and all that was left was to put a signature on the contract. It was a done deal until the hometown leafs swooped in at the last second. I think he said he left money on the table too.

Now, am I crazy, or was Moog considered the better goalie in general? The only thing Healy had as an advantage on Moog is that he was younger, but I thought a helluva lot more of Moog as a goalie than Healy.

It turned out that Moog played half the season that year, and put up almost identical numbers to Thibault, but Moog was the one they went with for the playoffs, and he got them to the 2nd round before they met hasek.

I think if the habs had signed Healy instead as it seems he was their bigger target, I don't even think the habs make the playoffs, let alone win a playoff round. I was just stunned that Moog appeared to be a consolation prize here.

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe Moog was already set to retire, but the habs convinced him to come back for one more year after they lost out on Healy, but I don't think Healy should have been an option, ever.

It's just another evaluation by that houle regime that makes no sense to me, and I had never heard of this until now, so I thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Allez lire ce livre Avions, hôtels et Glorieux : un an dans les coulisses du Canadien. Paru à la même période.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Healy was a good goalie, and was a #1 for a number of teams over the years. Moog was better in his prime, but was older then. Still, he was good that year, had a good personality and was fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad